PDA

View Full Version : 2000 400ex noise at speed

StreetLegalEX
05-06-2003, 09:13 AM
Well, I just bought a 400ex about a week ago.
It has a new piston and a couple of new bearings in the engine.

The machine runs absolutely great (I have been a little easy for the bike because the new piston has to be broken-in).

Now I'm gradually giving it some more throttle.
But when I go down the road at speed and high-rpm I hear a rattle noise in the engine. (I had a Blaster before so not really used to 4stroke, maybe this is normal?)

When stand-still it sounds normal, doesn't even rattle when I rev the engine. It's only at high speeds and high rpms.

At first I thought it might be the chain rollers, but when I pull the clutch the rattling is gone, so it has to be in the engine.

Any clues?

Some extra info:

The bike hadn't been run for a while when I bought it
I use 98 octane fuel

05-06-2003, 09:33 AM
mine does the exact same thing! I thing its the chain rolling really fast on the roller pins. someone correct me How is your EX street legal? what state you in? Can Tennessee quads be legal?

StreetLegalEX
05-06-2003, 09:43 AM
Yeah, but when I pull the clutch the noise is gone, so it can't be the chain because my speed doesn't change when pulling the clutch.

P.S. I live in Belgium, where quads can be street-legal. (getting my license-plate this week I hope!)

Hell, whe have street-legal Banshee's, Raptors, Z400, everything you can possibly think of! :D

05-06-2003, 10:47 AM
oh, thats cool. i seriously think its the chain b/c thats exact same thing mine does

Mr_Bub400ex
05-06-2003, 11:00 AM
if it stops when u pull in your clutch lever its the clutch lever itself. well it was on mine. it used to be a rattling noise on the road when it got up to higher RPM and the bike vibrated. it made the lever move in the huge stock lever housing thing. get a p-brake block off and a new lever and perch and it will fix the annoying sound

BadA$$440
05-06-2003, 11:19 AM
sounds like you might have to adjust your valves, does itsound like a fast ticking noise? if so, its your valves. Tighten them up a little

cals400ex
05-06-2003, 06:22 PM
where is the noise coming from? sometimes the heat shield comes loose on the header. also, it could have something to do with the chain. when you are going a constant speed or accelerating, you have some stress on the chain. when you pull in the clutch, you don't have stress on the chain. i would just go around the bike and tighten every bolt you can see. also, my chain rubs on my case saver behind the chain guard every once in a while.

StreetLegalEX
05-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all your responses, I will check them all today. Will keep you posted!

StreetLegalEX
05-06-2003, 11:54 PM
Rode it again today (for about an hour and a half) at various speeds, and I think its just normal valve noise, that all 4strokes have. I think it's possibly because I am used to the Blaster that I noticed the sound.

All I can say is that I really love my EX and hope to spend many hours of riding fun with her. :cool: