PDA

View Full Version : calling all polishers....

derekhonda
05-05-2003, 05:11 PM
im working on finishing up my cases along with some other smaller pieces, taking much more time than i had hoped. Anyways, its starting to get to look like a mirror, just not quite there yet. 2 questions

How do you get in the tight areas (look at pic #2)

And i guess i just keep going over it till i get it to look like a mirror right?

derekhonda
05-05-2003, 05:12 PM

05-05-2003, 05:23 PM
Isnt polishing fun :rolleyes:

What grit sandpaper did you finish in?

What are you polishing with?

derekhonda
05-05-2003, 05:30 PM
ahhh, actualy im using my new (underpowered) aircompressor with a die grinder and then sanding bits and buffering wheels. I have probably about 4 hours time in this case alone, its taking forever. i need to know how to get in the tight spots and put the finishing coat on it

05-05-2003, 10:41 PM
Well I am not in any way a pro polisher but I know what I do for the small pain in the arse sections, and thats to use a barrell sander and attach some small strips of #1000 or what ever to it.

Your description of your set up is funny since I have the same one :) but you would find that the small tech stuff can be easier with an electric tool like a dremmel etc, but be easy on it cause they burn out easy. I have had them crap out in a week.

You arent using the mothers on that part yet I hope cause there are a lot more abrasive one avail that will speed things up for you also.

Make sure you get it all sanded to a high luster before you start polishing if the compressor doesnt have the juice to keep the speed up.

Pappy
05-05-2003, 10:55 PM
i just got my cases back from a "pro" polishing company. they dont look bad...but i will be sending them to a local place for touch up. they charge me $65 an hour but the results are spectacular.

like 440 said i geuss you will need the polishing bobs to get in the tight areas. chris waters uses them and a number of compounds and his cases look sweet.

its way to much time for me to wanna do...ill keep farming it out:p

luvmyex
05-06-2003, 04:10 AM
I sure hope your not tring to do that with mothers.But id does look like it.It will take you a year if you are.You need the buffing wheels and compounds.And a drimel with a small buffing wheel will get the tight spots.I havent tried a sidecase but i just think it would bw way too hard to keep up from the boots rubbing on em.But i did do my head cover

BadA$$440
05-06-2003, 04:54 AM
what do you guys do to keep it looking so shiny? Clear coat?
Whenever i polis mine, it gets dull after the first ride/wash. I just buff it out with some polsh, is it the compund that keeps it so shiny?

Str8Wicked
05-06-2003, 05:01 AM
People say dremels but I hate using them.. The only way to go is sanding than a polishing bench wheel....

05-06-2003, 06:10 AM
The only way to go is sanding than a polishing bench wheel....

Thats the best way but not too many people have a decent bench grinder or even a good compressor as you can see :)

ny300exrider
05-06-2003, 08:21 AM
i dont like dremels because the wheel is skinny and it leaves marks in it..i want a nice buffer and at sears they have blocks of every compund you need in a pack for 5 bucks

luvmyex
05-06-2003, 10:36 AM
I only use the dremil for the tight spots that the buffing wheel dont get.
Badass440 if you just take a rag a wipe off the polished part it will stay looking good.I usually throw a little mothers on there about every 4-6 weeks.But i ride every weekend to.

zephead400ex
05-06-2003, 11:21 AM
When sending your side cases and etc to a person for them to polish them, what do you do to protect the engine?...cover it with a sheet? Along with the sidecase and head, what else is usually polished?

thanks,
peace

derekhonda
05-06-2003, 12:23 PM
no no, i first used a tripoli, then a white rouge compound, i did just start using mothers though, i guess ill go over it with some white rouge somemore though before i use any more mothers.

hook
05-06-2003, 12:39 PM
dont give up your doing good it takes time practice makes perfect

BadA$$440
05-06-2003, 01:09 PM
u guys have any pics of the buffing wheels you use? I think im using the wrong machine

05-06-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
i dont like dremels because the wheel is skinny and it leaves marks in it..i want a nice buffer and at sears they have blocks of every compund you need in a pack for 5 bucks

i used a dremel on this and it looks super

derekhonda
05-06-2003, 02:21 PM
^^^^wow, what did you use go through your process

05-06-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
^^^^wow, what did you use go through your process

sand blasted to strip...then went with 180,220,400,600 then i used tripoli on a small dremel wheel...tripoli on a larger diameter dremel wheel...then i used a softer dremel wheel and white rouge

crap-banshee32
05-06-2003, 03:22 PM
wow that looks nice, what do u guys use to seal it or make it stay the way it looks?

05-06-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by crap-banshee32
wow that looks nice, what do u guys use to seal it or make it stay the way it looks?

no seal..some people clear coat but a lot of things that are clear coated will get scratched and look like crap eventualy..i just polish them then i maintain the stuff that gets abused a ot....nerfs,cases etc with mothers mag...but the motor mounts, throttle cover etc...i polish with an eagle one billet polish..it works a lot better than mothers..it comes in a bottle and is a liquid...its about 7 bucks and its kinda pointless to use on stuff that gets abused a lot

toby400ex
05-06-2003, 03:50 PM
tomorrow im gonna get some pics of my stuff, i got some compounds from easter and have ben using my buffer wheel on the air powerd rotary tool. I just got donw with my clutch cover, throttle cover. clutch lever and perch,p brake block off, and starter cover.:eek2: Lots of free time:blah

luvmyex
05-07-2003, 10:02 AM
If your using the compounds Derek Then id say you didnt sand them smooth enough.THey really should look much better if your using the compounds.You still have alot of fine scratches in that pic.What was the highest grit paper you used?

Pappy
05-07-2003, 10:24 AM
burnt fingers and about an hour of solid polishing....this stuff takes too long:scary:

05-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
burnt fingers and about an hour of solid polishing....this stuff takes too long:scary: \

yea, thats like the worst part of polishing..the peices get all hot..and your hands get all black from the compound...and it does take quite a while to do it right...took me like 8 hours for my cases:ermm:

luvmyex
05-07-2003, 10:43 AM
Gloves are a must on small parts.The compounds seem to work better when you get the peice nice and hot!And its not only my hands that get black either!Im covered in that mess!My shop looks pretty rough now too!

05-07-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by luvmyex
Gloves are a must on small parts.The compounds seem to work better when you get the peice nice and hot!And its not only my hands that get black either!Im covered in that mess!My shop looks pretty rough now too!

yea..my when i get done polishing a big peice....my face is black from the compound dust..my clothes are black...and when i use my dremel...i usualy si the peice on my lap and my pants could be tan..and when i did my throttle cover and break rezzy cover...my pants were completely black from dust....my mom about killed me

ralph2
05-08-2003, 03:00 PM
!!!!!!!nacsracer27!!!!!!!!!!!

give it to him ,, hes a nice guy:blah

Pappy
05-08-2003, 03:03 PM
hahaha...i just noticed ive used that atva patch in every polishing piece ive done:p can ya tell blue is my favorite color:ermm:

RiPPiNiTuP7
05-08-2003, 03:10 PM
I use compounds...

Pappy
05-08-2003, 03:12 PM
i dont know how them shops do it....stand there all day polishing. i get wore out after 20 mins:p

anywhereEx
05-08-2003, 03:21 PM
5 hours later \/