PDA

View Full Version : Picked up an 86 R motor today

CBW
05-05-2003, 05:03 PM
Yep sur did....thought it would be a great idea........

WRONG!!!!!:ermm:

Upon close inspection it has the following: (BTW i am by no means an EXPERT on R motors so if i am wrong on something feel free to point me in the correct direction!!!)

--first off it supposed to be an 86 ATC motor.....they are silver painted ...my 86 TRX is anyway,,and th eone from my 85 ATC was all black when stock,,,,this one has a center case half from an 85....or later like an 88/89 which i doubt.....and the 86 case half painted black to make it look correct,,,or atleast matching

---the cylinder off my 85 ATC was black, the one on my 86 TRX is silver painted, the one off my 88 TRX is bare cast.........this supposed 86 motor has a bare cylinder.....doest appear to be sandblasted.......could have beed stripped to make the motor appear to be an 88/89

-- Hole in the clutch side case where bolt in the crank came loose and ate the case........that had been repaired. Clutch basket is notched to beat all

-- Stock bore,,,,,,,,,but piston has a crack on the intake side...(no big deal it would have been rebored anyway;) )

--Water pump shaft has a broken tab, bad bearing and bad seal

--Counterbalancer had gone bad, got into the case and broke the ears on the bearing holder,,,,,,,,(and possibly was the cause of the messed waterpump)

--crank appers to be relatively new and appears to be with in tolerances..(would obviously make certian before any rebuild ;) )...and actually looks like a aftermarket connecting rod.......kind of that bronzeish color:confused2

Well that is all the priliminary stuff....the shift dogs look good still......and the case saver mounts are still intact:huh

Go figure how a motor could be hammered, and the countershaft sprocket be missing teeth..........but the case saver could be mounted up great????:huh

Good thing i didnt give any money for this :p

Sorry fo the long post..........just thought you may like my good motor i found........LOL:scary:

twisted threads
05-05-2003, 11:18 PM
even though It has a lot of problems you will still make out good on this deal. But you will need to really beaf it up so you can put in a 370 stroker kit!!:macho :D

XANDADA
05-06-2003, 01:49 AM
Sounds just like my R engine when I got it! Look at the bright side, nothin a lot of $, tlc and then still more $ can't fix! At least you got a cheap cylinder on the way;)

CBW
05-06-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by XANDADA
Sounds just like my R engine when I got it! Look at the bright side, nothin a lot of $, tlc and then still more $ can't fix! At least you got a cheap cylinder on the way;)

Yeah,,,,,,,,but that cylinder is going on the wifes TRX so she has the low end port:D

And yes when i am done with the motor it will be better than new.......and it will scream :D :p

twisted threads
05-06-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by CBW
And yes when i am done with the motor it will be better than new.......and it will scream :D :p
O YEAH!!! there is nothing like the sound of a big bore:macho :D