PDA

View Full Version : Downloading music illegal ???

CHAUNCY
05-05-2003, 04:26 PM
I was reading on another forum that downloading from kazaa or any other music downloading site is now illegal. Does anyone know if this is true or heard anything about it ?

crazy250r Rider
05-05-2003, 04:33 PM
well i have kazza on my computer and yea its illegal but you don't have to worry about it only the makers of kazza. so i wouldn't delete it or anything just because its illegal.

CHAUNCY
05-05-2003, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I wasnt planning on deleting any songs. Its nice to know only the makers of Kazaa have to worry about it though:rolleyes:

Nausty
05-05-2003, 04:47 PM
lol, are they gonna send about 1/2 the people to jail? Won't they have to catch you in the act of downloading it anyways?

Glow Plug
05-05-2003, 04:53 PM
yeah it's illigal but their not gonig to come after everyone who uses kazza that will got like billions of dollars so don't worrie about it :)

blondie69
05-05-2003, 11:29 PM
its the same as napster. it was illegal, the ppls got in chit then its gone. soon that will happen w/ all the music downloady thingys. except for the ones u have to pay to download music. But don't worry bout it. U won't get in crap....but there is 1 guy that downloaded like 300 songs in one day......he got in chit. but I doubt that u download 300 songs in a day...so I wouldn't worry bout it (the most I ever got in a day w/ my connection is....maybe 30 - 40? I was bored that day, lol)

JLanphear
05-06-2003, 02:39 AM
My take is....How do I know what I am downloading is illegal??? If I recall, one of the reasons p2p sharing was started is so upcoming artists could share their work with other people or something like that. Well if I'm browsing on Kazaa and I type in a generic song name or a local band name that I know of and I happen to get results like "Somewhere I belong" (by Linkin Park) and I download the file, I am not knowingly downloading copyrighted material. How do I know what is legal to download on there and what isn't??? ;)

Also, I believe that you are alowed to make .mp3's out of songs if you have the original CD...I have the original CD for every song I have ever downloaded off of Kazaa....My friends just happen to be borrowing them. ;)

What??? I'm also SHARING illegal files on Kazaa??? I didn't know that??? Must be it searches your hard drive for .mp3's when you install the program? I didn't know that? ;)

Mxbubs
05-06-2003, 07:45 AM
As long as the server is based in a country that is not part of the International Copyright Treaty, they cant touch them. Some of these network/server owners seem to be too dumb to figure that out. There will always be free music to download, they just have to locate the server in the right place.

Elmo on PCP
05-06-2003, 10:08 AM
guys guys guys, there is no Kazza server ect.... lol thats why they cant shut it down, napster was 1 server with a hard drive ful of music and you down loaded off it. Kazza is yer comp and some one elses comp like if you have a song called "song here" im down loading that song off YOUR comp not 1 server so i personaly think that they will NEVER stop free music tradeing or "sharing"

Guy400
05-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Yes it's illegal to download copyrighted music off the net for free (unless explicitly given permission by the artist/record label). Are they going to catch you? I seriously doubt it. However, the ignorance of the law excuse doesn't fly. Saying you downloaded it not knowing that it was illegal is like going to another country and violating one of their laws and when you get arrested you say you didn't know they had a law for that. Well that's your problem, not the country's that you violated the law in. That's why they say "ignorance is no excuse".

I'm not preaching to you people but it is illegal in the eyes of the law.

Instinctz
05-06-2003, 10:21 AM
Elmo sorta has it right.. Thats why they call it P2P... just sum it up to person to person.

There is a kazaa server, or else we would not be able to find other users, but we dont upload to that server, and neither did napster. The server only works as a station for you to search from, and your software pings it for info every once in a while.

Why else would it say ........ "Connecting" down at the status bar if there wasnt a server? :p

They can shut down kazaa, just like napster, but its rather useless as P2P technology is so simple to recreate, and program that they will not ever be able to stop piracy (and downloading any copyrighted music is that, with out consent from the artist anyways). The goverment could really care less, untill it causes a huge problem, for them. Its really up to the artists, and their contractors to hunt down the downloads, or the software...

JLanphear
05-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Yes it's illegal to download copyrighted music off the net for free (unless explicitly given permission by the artist/record label). Are they going to catch you? I seriously doubt it. However, the ignorance of the law excuse doesn't fly. Saying you downloaded it not knowing that it was illegal is like going to another country and violating one of their laws and when you get arrested you say you didn't know they had a law for that. Well that's your problem, not the country's that you violated the law in. That's why they say "ignorance is no excuse".

I'm not preaching to you people but it is illegal in the eyes of the law.

Right, but lets say that I walk into a music store and see a CD. It appears to be a professional CD of a local band or whatever. Lets say that on that CD they have copyrighted sound clips, or even copyrighted music that they didn't get rights for. Are the Police going to come and take ME away because I unknowingly purchased this supposedly legitimate CD???

I know that isn't the exact same scenario, but if I was to go on Kazaa looking for legit sample music to listen to, and I somehow end up with a copyrighted piece how do I know??? When you buy a CD in the store it has all the copyright info on it, but when you download it from the internet it doesn't. To me the only person that should get in trouble for that is the person who ripped it in the first place.

I'm in no way saying that this is how the law goes, but I'm saying that it is possible for someone to be on there with good intentions of finding new bands or whatever and they end up with copyrighted material....What is there to protect them????

I am interested in finding out....I'm not claiming to know anything about how the laws work.

-Josh

Instinctz
05-06-2003, 10:37 AM
It works the same way if you where to sell your quad, and it was all fake cash.

If you spend it, its your trouble, and its still a law that you have broken. How ever, most likily the 'law' will understand this and work with you.

Thats probably why they dont prursue illegal P2P trading.. There is also illegale 'videos', ect ect.. its just way to much for any one corperation to undertake.. so they just ignore it and try and hunt down the creators and original piriaters of it.

But like you, I dont claim to know anything.. just what I think. :rolleyes:

PhilMoore
05-06-2003, 10:51 AM
What does it matter if it is illegal or not (it is illegal)?

Copying software, movies, music, or anything copyrighted is immoral and wrong. It is not a matter of legality, it is a matter of morality. If you don't have the moral backbone to do what is right and pay for what you use, that is a personal problem. Obviously, there is nothing anybody can or will do about it.

It is exactly the same as riding a quad across private property, getting chased by the cops, getting away with it, then bragging about it later. Of course, the legal system will eventually diminish our privlages and freedoms until they do not exist anymore.

Self Government Cannot Work Without Self Discipline.

Black400
05-06-2003, 11:04 AM
The reason that i understand they cant prosicute kazaa is thet are based in australia. If they tried to sue them they would spend as much money sueing that they would get back from it.:o

DEAL
05-06-2003, 11:22 AM
I use WinMx
Kazaa carries too many viruses and messes up your computer, I've had winmx for about 8 months and have had no problems with it slowing down my comp or giving me any viruses.
It never freezes my comp either like kazaa used to.
Only problem is when you start downloading music your harddrives fill up fast haha.

2K400ex
05-06-2003, 11:23 AM
Even if they do shut kazaa down it wont be long before another one pops up.. and well i know some stuff isnt legal cause you can download movies that are still in the theater from kazaa..
im not too worried about it.. and i dont think its illigal to download it as much as sharing it or leting someone eles get it from you. then you would be distributing illigal music i guess..

HoNdAdude48
05-06-2003, 11:30 AM
dude dude dude!!!!! u can download, but u cant download and give the cd to someone else. its ok 4 u to because, say u bought a cd and it broke its leagal to download, so how can they prove that u havent bought that cd. so if u get caught say u bought the cd but it broke.

Mxbubs
05-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Elmo on PCP
guys guys guys, there is no Kazza server ect.... lol thats why they cant shut it down, napster was 1 server with a hard drive ful of music and you down loaded off it. Kazza is yer comp and some one elses comp like if you have a song called "song here" im down loading that song off YOUR comp not 1 server so i personaly think that they will NEVER stop free music tradeing or "sharing"

Elmo, Kazaa does have a server, you never downloaded music from Napster. There service, on a server, acts a FTP, file transfer protocol, you use there software to search for files, and swap files, on a server they pay for. They are liable for aiding you in illegally obtaining copyrighted music.

There will NEVER be an end to file swapping. They can bark and sue all they want. Where there is a will, people will find a way.

Im no hacker, but I have seen several security systems broke time and time again when they were deemed "unhackable".:D

Instinctz
05-06-2003, 03:08 PM
uhh, you cant just say you broke the cd. You have to have proof that you bought the cd bud, if you have ever read the actual copy right rules.

You are allowed to copy it onto your computer, you are not allowed to download it from ANYWHERE other than off that cd that you bought, because unless the mp3 is downloaded off of a site/program that the artist has signed to, its pirited.

So no, saying you broke 3600 cd's will not work. Downloading, and selling the disc is a Big no no, and could be busted for that. As for downloading and not selling/just giving it away wont really get you into as much trouble. But they wont go after you unless you sale it big time (your 1 cd isnt worth their trouble and time).

Remember, they dont have to prove that you didnt buy it, they just have to prove that you downloaded it... :rolleyes:

I could just see someone going into court saying, "Prove I didnt kill him!"

blondie69
05-06-2003, 03:10 PM
isn't like only illegal if u sell the cd's to ppls?

oops:rolleyes: haha.
i rarly will burn a "real" cd for someone. like copy a cd onto my harddrive and burn it. because
1. i feel kinda guilty cuz its almost stealing (all tho i bought the cd.....jus i'm helpin someone else steal it)
2. and i rarly burn a "real" cd for myself cuz i don't like all the songs on a cd all the time. i'll just download the ones i like and make a mix cd and i'm all good :D

oh and downloading movies and selling them(llegal)
...heh...done that too, i've only done it a couple times and i'm done w/ it...not cuz its stealin....but it takes me like 3 days (not straight) to get a movie before it comes out on dvd....so they have to give me like $10, lol

downloading programs and selling them (illegal) .......also been there too....
man.....i bootleg alota stuff, lol

Nausty
05-06-2003, 03:16 PM
man I don't care if it is stealing. No one person is worth what these guys get paid in the first place and before the internet they were ripping us a new one on prices. I don't feel sorry for the cd companies.

Instinctz
05-06-2003, 03:16 PM
No, its not only illegale if you sale it, but thats about the only way they care.

And just being in another country, other than US, doesnt make it legal to pirite. They have laws in every country (ignore the ones that dont give a chit). For one, interenational laws, and interenational copy rights, they all exist because of people thinking they can go to another country and do what they want.

Just like hacking, it is said that if you hack a computer with in your state, its minor. But once you cross state lines (how I dont know) and hack another states computer, its then federal. Strange, but some people think the internet is another world.. where everything is harmless and doesnt withhold to the current real world laws.

They have tresspassing laws on websites too, lol.

Instinctz
05-06-2003, 03:22 PM
man I don't care if it is stealing. No one person is worth what these guys get paid in the first place and before the internet they were ripping us a new one on prices. I don't feel sorry for the cd companies.

Well, ouch, I used to be into programming. As that, I felt it a very harsh thing if you where to use an illegal program, and profite / benifit from it without paying retail.

Its hard for me to tell you what I mean. But its the same deal with Goverment/People sueing bill gates because of monopoly. ITs total BS. 90% of the people that are sueing him, use his products. Does it matter that he/the person salin the stuff gets rich, or hardly benifits? NO! They built it, dont use it if you dont respect that.

How would you feel if you poored out your time, energy, ect to design something? Maybe it was to build a quad, and someone comes up and steals it, of course its gonna piss you off. Thats almost an exact anology that the programmers feel.

I'm not saying I dont download mp3's, programs, or what not. I do, but I would never say I dont give a chit about the compainies, because at that point I should not be using what they have for sale.