PDA

View Full Version : 250r with a banshee motor

LapTraffic
05-05-2003, 02:10 PM
Because I dont like mainstream stuff I was wondering if a Banshee motor would work in a 250r frame? Has anyone tried it?

What issues would I be facing with a setup like this?

Thanks!

Taco
05-05-2003, 02:11 PM
FYI I believe Lonestar makes a Banshee frame that has 250r geometry and uses 250r aarms and swingarm etc.

05-05-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Taco
FYI I believe Lonestar makes a Banshee frame that has 250r geometry and uses 250r aarms and swingarm etc.

yeah, but that frame is how much$$$?

Taco
05-05-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by bobby88
yeah, but that frame is how much$$$?
Well that would be an issue then wouldnt it. If you really want to do something you wont let something minor like price get in your way :D

JHF219
05-05-2003, 02:17 PM
around 2500 i believe its called a banshee outlaw chassis !! they are top notch chassis i have seen several in person and they handle dead up like an R IMO !!

05-05-2003, 03:04 PM
it would be cheaper to buy a 250r chassis and put a banshee motor in it. if the big bad 350 cc engine would fit:D

lex luger
05-05-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by JHForman250R
around 2500 i believe its called a banshee outlaw chassis !! they are top notch chassis i have seen several in person and they handle dead up like an R IMO !!

actually i thought it was up in 5-6k range :confused2

JHF219
05-05-2003, 03:54 PM
i believe that is for the entire think a-arms swingarm the whole she ban g ?? Go to LSRacing.com and check but i think you can buy just the frame? also i think dont know for sure but i believe Laeger has made a few also>>?

LapTraffic
05-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, obviously buying an aftermarket banshee frame updated to the r geometry is an option, though pricey. I was leaning more towards an arens 250r frame with a shee motor in it and was wondering if it would fit, just has more of an X factor appeal. Plus I think the R is a better looking bike as far as curbside appeal goes.

anyway, it's all personal preference, but does anyone know if that shee motor would fit in a 250r frame?

Thanks for the help!

JHF219
05-06-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by LapTraffic
Thanks for the replies guys, obviously buying an aftermarket banshee frame updated to the r geometry is an option, though pricey. I was leaning more towards an arens 250r frame with a shee motor in it and was wondering if it would fit, just has more of an X factor appeal. Plus I think the R is a better looking bike as far as curbside appeal goes.

anyway, it's all personal preference, but does anyone know if that shee motor would fit in a 250r frame?

Thanks for the help!

Drop john a line and ask him he is very very helpful with everything !! Jnine is his screen name he will be able to tell you what you are going to be facing on this install

flyin#5
05-06-2003, 08:57 AM
that would be sweet.

my friend really wants to put his banshee motor in a blaster frame and i think they are going to this summer. that would haul! any major things that they would have to do or run into? dont worry they have the ability to do it.

born-to-race
05-06-2003, 11:43 AM
The Banshee motor is way bigger than a 250r motor (2 cycl.) It might fit......

cody anderson
05-07-2003, 05:47 AM
I've seen it done. there are going to be problems with the frame breaking easier though. it will fit...

mc250r
05-07-2003, 05:56 AM
there is a guy that races D-11 HS here in Ohio that has one. it looks pretty decent. PM LT250r91,GNCCER,DH440,or POPO they might be able to tell you how to get ahold of the guy. his name is Jeff Vensel.

LapTraffic
05-07-2003, 05:56 AM
Thanks for your reply. What was your impression of the bike?

Im going to use an aftermarket Arens 250r frame. Do you think it would need to be gusseted further or was the breakage you witnessed simply due to it being a stock frame

Thanks again!

AndrewRRR
05-07-2003, 07:19 AM
You shouldn't need to gussett. Usually frame cracks are caused by jumping, not by having a stronger motor. My R is holding up fine with the stock frame and it's way stronger than stock. Casper is doing good also.

wilkin250r
05-07-2003, 09:15 AM
I'm not an expert frame builder, but I can't imagine that you would have to gusset the frame. Most often, the whole point of going to an aftermarket frame is greater strength. Usually, you gusset a stock frame because it's cheaper than buying a complete aftermarket frame.

cudaman
05-07-2003, 10:29 AM
this may be a noob question. but how come everyone doesnt gusset there frame if they already have it apart. it seems like it would just be added security and it doesnt cost much at all. is there any down fall that keeps people from doing this.

JHF219
05-07-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by cudaman
this may be a noob question. but how come everyone doesnt gusset there frame if they already have it apart. it seems like it would just be added security and it doesnt cost much at all. is there any down fall that keeps people from doing this.

The only thing that keeps people from doing this is laziness that i can think of

sportraxrider10
05-07-2003, 10:38 AM

some people after doing there rebuild don't have enough money so they just leave it stock, i think:confused: :uhoh:

cudaman
05-07-2003, 10:44 AM
i heard its only like 30-60 bucks or whatever. cant they wait a week to get more money. it just seems like it would be worth it. thats the first thing im going to do when i get my R.

remlapr
05-07-2003, 11:10 AM
There was a pic of one on here awhile back - not sure if it was the aftermarket R geometry frame or a normal R frame that had just been modded, but it had R plastic on it and the engine looked frickin huge in there. Sombody else must remember see this?

250x#93
05-07-2003, 11:25 AM
That thing would be fun to ride:devil banshees suck cuz of there susp. but if u use a 250r it ought to be sweet:macho

AndrewRRR
05-07-2003, 02:15 PM
i heard its only like 30-60 bucks or whatever. cant they wait a week to get more money. it just seems like it would be worth it. thats the first thing im going to do when i get my R.

I think a lot of people don't do it because they don't ride hard enough to crack their frame often. Also, the gusset kits are cheap, but you also have to have access to a welder which not everyone has. You also have to do prep (sand off the powdercoat so you get a clean weld), and then re-powdercoat the frame. Can turn a $30 job into a $300 job.
It's also weight. Steve removed 20lbs of ugly, unnecessary gussets from Casper when he got it. Hasn't had any problem so far (including an accidental 12+ ft. drop/crash off of a razorback!)

cudaman
05-07-2003, 07:23 PM
oh, well i didnt think it added that much. i am def gonna do it. cause im a big guy and i want an R. so i need that extra strength even if it does add a couple pounds