PDA

View Full Version : Axle lock-nut

400exRacerX
12-27-2001, 09:13 PM
Hey,

I just got my RAD axle lock-nut in today and I am wondering what you guys used to get the stock nut off and the new one on. I don't have a wrench anywere near the size to get it on. And if I used channel locks it might chew the bolt up. Thanks in advanced.

trx400ex
12-27-2001, 09:33 PM
i used pipe wrenches, you will probably screw the bolt up anyway, why do you care if you got a new one? i have 4or 5 new axle nuts out in the garage due to service honda screwing up:rolleyes:

400exRacerX
12-27-2001, 09:54 PM
I don't care about the old one I just care about messing up my $50 new one.

Guy400
12-28-2001, 05:40 AM
Norm, my stock locking nuts were small enough that a 15" crescent wrench was big enough (along with a 5' piece of pipe) to break them free. My new aluminum lock nut was bigger, however. I had to use a pipe wrench but fortunately it threaded on easy enough that I could cover the nut with a rag and easily thread the new nut on with the pipe wrench. I don't know what RAD's instructions are but for my Alloy Specialities nut it was 1/8 turn past taking the slop out and then lock it down so you never had to put a great deal of wrench pressure on the nut.