PDA

View Full Version : keep blowing head gaskets !!!

RaptorMan
05-05-2003, 12:50 PM
(HOT - ROD) I'M RUNNING A 416 WITH 11;1 COMP . ANY PONTERS ?

TrX465
05-05-2003, 01:16 PM
are you using a copper headgasket?

Dune Surfer
05-05-2003, 01:24 PM
Welcome to the club. I've blown three. Here is what I suggest. First call curtis sparks and order thier oversized stud kit and a bored stock steel gasket. Make sure both surfaces are clean I mean really clean, no oil or anything. Use copper gasket sealent. Tighten your head to 33-36 lbs. Go for a good ride and take the cam out and retighten your acorn nuts. Reinstall your cam you should be good. I tried cometic gaskets twice and they didn't work for me. It is a problem. I posted a thread called "head gasket replacment" do a search for that thread and It will walk you through it with pics. If you have any questions PM me
Good luck

tprender
05-05-2003, 01:47 PM
I am in the process of repairing a blown gasket. 1st the rear bolt stripped when puting it together and had to heli coil it. Was told to put in a bolt instead of the studs. Was doing this on a Friday night and leaving on Wed on a riding trip tp Baja. Replaced both the fron and rear studs with bolts of grade 5. The best I could find on Sat. Put the heli coil in the rear only and just put more threads on the front. The rear heald, but the front threads came out and blow the gasket on the 1st day in Mexico. I think that some of it was the cheap Mex gas(87 oct). That is all that you can buy there.
Going to try again but going to put a heli coil in the front hold whn the gasket comes in this week. The front bolt is 90mm and the rear is 110mm. Where about $1.75 each, better than $100 for the bolt kit from the other places. Have found out from talking to other people that when you change out the studs, you must heli coil the holes or better. The Honda alumunin will not hold the threads by themselves.

KY Woods Rider
05-05-2003, 02:29 PM
It could be a few things, the studs stretching, the gasket you're using (I've heard several complaints about the Cometic head gaskets), the head nuts might not be torqued evenly or are coming loose, or the head could not be true. After several head gaskets and even more head aches:D, my cousin found out that the head on his 440 wasn't true. He had it milled down till it was true and it hasn't blown a gasket in the 6 months since.

twisted threads
05-05-2003, 11:00 PM
This might sound stupid but how do you know if you have a blown head gasket on a EX????:o I have never seen one blown yet?

Mxbubs
05-06-2003, 07:48 AM
I hope you guys are kidding. Please tell me you all arent blowing heads.???:D

Dune Surfer
05-06-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Mxbubs
I hope you guys are kidding. Please tell me you all arent blowing heads.???:D

Not heads, what kind of guys do you think we are:eek2: Head gaskets. You can tell a couple of different ways, oil leaking,you can feel blow by with your hand if you put it next to your motor while it's running, or you can hear a kinda tapping noise when it's under load, like climbing a hill. Another way is to look for carbon deposits on the fins around your head gasket.

holeshot19
05-06-2003, 02:06 PM
i just got my engine back together and did a couple heat cycles on it . put a compresson gauge on it and i got over 200psi is that too much. i have a 88.5 mm je piston cometic metal gasket and no base gasket. this is a cly i had trouble with and had it redone and they replaced the sleave and decked the cly. wondered if 200 too much:mad: