PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

Ryans400ex
05-05-2003, 12:11 PM
Hello Everyone. i'm new to the site and need just the simple beginners questions. I'm looking for an exhaust, should i just get a slip on or a complete system. I don't race i just do a lot of trail riding i just want some low end and mid range power.

remlapr
05-05-2003, 12:22 PM
Welcome - I'm a Ryan also. Just get a slip on - you don't really need a full exhaust unless you have motor modifications. HMF, WB E-Series, Pro Circuit T-4, CT are all good choices. There was a link to a 400ex slip on shoot out with dyno charts floating around here - but I haven't seen it in a while. You should also go to an aftermarket air filter and re-jet the carb at the same time that you add the slip on pipe.

Bill Fuller
05-05-2003, 12:23 PM
Ryan,welcome to the site lots of good info here you will become addicted:D Depending on your cash flow It's all up to you,slip ons don't add much more than noise but you do get SOMETHING.A full exhaust is costly but you will notice a difference with a little jetting and such.Check out Curtis Sparks :muscle:

300exazzkikr
05-05-2003, 12:36 PM
If and when you get your exhaust save up for a complete system, it will make a difference don't waste your money on just a slip on.

400extracc
05-05-2003, 12:37 PM
well, i recently added a pro circuit pipe air box mod and rejetted, and i felt a difference. i'd say bout 15-20% of its total power.
the t-4 is a nice pipe, light wight and not too much money. payed mine $180.

good luck in finding a pipe:macho

Dune Surfer
05-05-2003, 12:46 PM
Welcome to the site!! I first had a slip on and now a full system. The full system is the way to go. It's worth saving for. If you looking for low to mid power check out the bid gun. Overall I think the engine builders pipes are better though. Sparks racing, LRD< CT, Hetricks, Duncan Racing. All are about $500. I have the Duncan and am reall impressed with the power gains and quality. You will want to remove your airbox lid add a K&N and outerwares rejet and you will be impressed. There are many post here about this subject Click on search and type exhaust.

Ryans400ex
05-05-2003, 12:53 PM
thanks for the info, i like the looks of the LRD or the yoshimura, any advice on those, sound and performance wise.

jarred15801
05-05-2003, 12:55 PM
Just get a slip on, i prefer White Brothers;)

RuffRyder400ex
05-05-2003, 01:49 PM
just get the wb e-series thats what i am getting soon

RuffRyder400ex
05-05-2003, 01:50 PM
slip on

KY Woods Rider
05-05-2003, 02:06 PM
As you can already see, everyone has their own opinion as to what works best and not too many agree on what the best choice is, but here's my thoughts anyway. Since the stock 400EX headpipes flow pretty good for OEM equipment and you said that you want low to midrange power, I would say your best bet would be a slip-on. Also, if you plan to keep your motor pretty much stock (no big bore or stroker kits) I think you'll get the best overall power from a slip-on.

If you want mid to top end power or are planning on significant engine mods in the future, then a full system is the way to go. The downside to a full system and a pretty much stock motor is that it can actually flow too well; which means you lose back pressure and therefore, you lose some low end power. The loss of low end isn't a big deal on an MX track or anywhere the RPM can easily be kept up, but in tight woods it becomes annoying when you don't have good low end power.

As for what types of slip-ons work best, I like the TC best; that's why I'm using it:D. The only bad point to the TC slip-on is that it is loud. That's not a big deal if you're riding on your own private land, but you won't be passing any sound checks at public riding areas.

My second choice for a slip-on would be a White Brothers E-series. They are also fairly loud and I personally don't like the tone they produce, but they do make pretty good low to mid power.

If you happen to decide to get a full system, my favorites are HMF and LRD.

zfire_28
05-05-2003, 07:17 PM
If you want low-mid, buy yourself a full Big Gun and keep the spark arrestor in. Take off the air box lid and put a k&n w/outerwear in there.

Bill Fuller
05-06-2003, 01:51 AM
Leave the air box lid alone,if you ride the woods than you will be glad you did.I haven't been that impressed in the power gains and the reliability goes down the *****ter.Water is not your friend young jedi.:D

05-06-2003, 10:26 AM
go with the sparks x-4 pipe and rejet ur carb and get a new airfilter prolly K&N and you will get the power u r lookin for:D ;)