PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leaking Help!!!

hsr
05-05-2003, 10:54 AM
I just got a new top end put in my 300ex and I put the motor back in the frame, and have had it sitting out in my garage for about 3-4 weeks now and a puddle of oil a little bit smaller than the size of a paper plate has accumulated on my garage floor. I haven't even started it up b/c i am still waiting on a few other parts...but anyways...the guy that rebuilt it for me put 2 quarts of oil in it , rather than the 1.6 that the owners manual calls for, i doubt that it is really that big of a deal, but i haven't really checked to see where it was coming from but it seems to be coming from the drain plug area. and i heard before that it will leak in this area if you don't put the washer on the drain plug bolt, but i haven't even checked for that yet either .... so i guess my question is has anyone else ever had this experience ??? Has anyone ever had oil leak out around the drain plug area? If so what was the cause. And oh yeah when i got my motor back there was a good amount of oil on the bottom just from sitting on the guys workbench and/or him changing the oil in it b4 he gave it back to me , i thought that maybe alot of it could have just dripped off the bottom but it seems like alot more than that

brokenhalo
05-05-2003, 11:34 AM
Bubs always used glue on his...try that....maybe some liquid nails even!!

carlj75
05-05-2003, 11:37 AM
Try buying a new washer for the drain plug. Then torque it to the spec. listed in the manual.

hsr
05-05-2003, 11:47 AM
thanks for the replies guys ,

hsr
05-05-2003, 11:54 AM
did bubs do this b/c it was leaking or for another reason???

White_Knuckles
05-05-2003, 11:54 AM
On an engine rebuild more oil is added than normal service drains to restore to proper level. 2 qts. / 1.6 sounds right. The nylon or copper washer on the drain plug is suspect for the source. clean the heck out of the area and inspect for a drip line to indicate the leak source. Place clean paper under the bike and keep checking it.

Those washers die after a few oil changes. Do not over-tighten to solve for the leak.

hsr
05-05-2003, 12:50 PM
ahh i see , sounds like that could be the culprit , i will do that

05-05-2003, 02:01 PM
DONT OVER TIGHTEN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i did this on my old 300 and striped it. its a real pian to get it fixed right. What i did was went to a hardware store and picked up a fully rubber washer that worked really good try to get a big washer that will barley fit your bolt. Good luck