PDA

View Full Version : Electrical tubing; could this cause a problem?

XANDADA
05-05-2003, 06:50 AM
If I put some plastic tubing around the wire comming out of the stator, could it cause a problem with melting or worse catching fire? It makes it look nice and clean and will help keep water/dirt from getting in the stator but I'd hate to mess something up. Previously it just had a ton of electrical tape around it and it looked like crap. If it won't work got any other solutions? The tube I have on it is only rated for 180 degrees. Thanks...

4TraxRider
05-05-2003, 06:57 AM
I've had blue tubing like that on for 3 or 4 months now and havent had a problem on my 400ex.

300exazzkikr
05-05-2003, 07:56 AM
I would try it out of a while but keep an eye on it. looks good otherwise.

wilkin250r
05-05-2003, 08:41 AM
If your tubing gets hot enough to catch fire, you have bigger problems than your wiring.

Obviously, try to route the wires so they don't contact the exhaust or anything that gets really hot. I think you'll be ok.

You probably have FEP tubing, which shrinks at approx 190 degrees C. If you are truly concerned about it, you can contact an electronics supply store (other than Radio Shack) and ask for PTFE tubing, which is rated at 300 degrees C. Be careful, though. At 300 degrees, you may end up melting your wire before your tubing starts to shrink. :(

White_Knuckles
05-05-2003, 02:53 PM
The prior post is talking about shrink tubing. I think, by the photo, you're talking about the black split corrigated wire looming product? If the factory wire is cloth insulated, it's heat rated and pretty tough, just run it un-covered. Did the electrical tape get gooey or show signs of melting? If so, the black stuff may start to cook if it comes in contact with hot surfaces.

Man that thing sure looks sano, I can see why you want it clean. Nice work! :)

300exjuggalo
05-05-2003, 03:07 PM
:chinese: :bandit:

XANDADA
05-06-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by White_Knuckles
The prior post is talking about shrink tubing. I think, by the photo, you're talking about the black split corrigated wire looming product? If the factory wire is cloth insulated, it's heat rated and pretty tough, just run it un-covered. Did the electrical tape get gooey or show signs of melting? If so, the black stuff may start to cook if it comes in contact with hot surfaces.

Man that thing sure looks sano, I can see why you want it clean. Nice work! :)

Yes it's that corrigated split tubing. The factory wire is cloth covered but it still leaves a good size gap going into the stator. That's really why I want to cover it. I was worried that the cylinder would get too hot and melt the tubing. Electrical tape just looks like spit and doesn't hold really well. Any other ideas? Thanks guys...

Pappy
05-06-2003, 01:44 AM
it should not pose a fire problem...but they will trap water and moisture. i think it looks good like that...just clean and dry it if ya happen to go thru water.