PDA

View Full Version : Shaved and cut fenders ???? WHY

2K400ex
05-05-2003, 06:29 AM
I posted a lil while ago.. and someone suggested i cut my fenders down.. what is the benifit of that anyhow.. all i can see is me gettin more muddy?? someone please fill me in..

05-05-2003, 07:15 AM
This is a interesting one, and I think I finally got it figured out :cool:

Most do it to look like the maier race cut set up and be cool :D the rest have a reason and its to actually be able to see the position of the front wheels and tires, but thats good only for MX and desert.

If you run trails or XC etc your cutting the fenders to see the wheel thing will not work cause with all the mud and stuff on your goggles you wont be seeing anything.

Hope that helps cause its the best I can figure it.

RideRed400StYlE
05-05-2003, 07:26 AM
basicly so you can see where your wheels are, and because there is less to break if you wreck:D

05-05-2003, 08:28 AM
msot mxers do it because they want to see the postion of the front tires, and when in the air its less wind resistance..easier to get the front end down.....they act like parachuts in a way......i was a little shady about doing mine at first, then ir doe my friends and you could see the front wheels....i was like swet im doing it...i love the fact now of being able to see my front wheels and know exactly if there in a rut or not....just one of those things that you ahve to experince.....ride a freinds with cut fenders and see if you like it, i didnt get too much muddier after i did mine

2K400ex
05-05-2003, 08:32 AM
well all i am doing is mostly trail riding anyhow.. but i will have to ride someone eles to see what i think... thanks for the reponses..

phatswinn
05-05-2003, 08:55 AM
chop em off! ull be very happy with the result, theres nothing like seeing ur tires, it makes ya a much faster rider too

Chanman420q
05-05-2003, 08:57 AM
really the fenders do nothin for me... i ride trails and i go slow threw mud and water so basicly nothing gets kicked up anyways...:ermm:

DoPeExRiDeR20
05-05-2003, 02:50 PM
heres a pic of my XCer, i ride mud, trails, jumps, hill climbs, every weekend and i love having my fenders shaved, like the guys said earlier, it helps the aerodynamics and helps your to have less wind resistance, i like mine cut also becuase depending on wut obsticles im going through or wut im doing i like being able to align my wheels were they ned to be to get me over the obsticles i go through while im riding, well hope this helps....

crap-banshee32
05-05-2003, 03:48 PM
just b/c it looks cooler!!!!!;)

05-05-2003, 04:34 PM
really the fenders do nothin for me... i ride trails and i go slow threw mud and water so basicly nothing gets kicked up anyways...
Thats what I am talking about, if you cut your fenders and ride trails or XC etc your gonna be slow :)

I really enjoy riding in the woods with people who have race cut fenders :D somehow thats when you find all the sloppy stuff. :devil

05-06-2003, 08:14 AM
if u dont cut the fenders in MX they will eventually break off from bouncing up and down when u land jumps. so just cut em before they break and ruin the front plastics totally

infantry317
05-06-2003, 08:57 AM
I just raced mine this weekend in the D23 harescrambles, the shaved fenders were great because the trails were so narrow that Predators were hitting damn near everything (heard this straight from the guys riding them). One knuckle head had spacers on his KFX400, he had to quit. It was nice seeing where your wheels were. Luckily it wasn't very muddy. I shaved mine in December, so far I like it. :blah

MSL
05-06-2003, 09:03 AM
It added 3 horsepower to mine :blah

I just like the way it looks:)

And it is nice to see your tires when you need to.

Less wind resistance

brim400ex
05-06-2003, 10:17 AM
You wouldn't think it would make a difference, but it does give you a higher top speed. wind resistance, i guess.

zoom400ex
05-06-2003, 11:59 AM
^ yup you can get actually yamaha claims 5-7 mhp hour of shaving the fenders because of the wind resistance...............i know i atleast got 2 or so with mine

KY Woods Rider
05-06-2003, 12:33 PM
All I can say is that for riding in the woods, I will never shave my front fenders. I get covered in dirt, mud, water, leaves, sand (from the creek bottoms), and small pebbles every time I go riding, and I'm running the stock full fenders. I'm not one of those guys that try to bust the water holes dry either, I try not to spray myself with water and mud too bad. I don't even attempt to wear non-roll off goggles anymore. I tried riding a couple times with tear-off goggles (that I use when I happen to go to an MX race) and the 3 tear-offs were gone in about 15-20 minutes, and it was another 25 minutes to finish the trail loop (I just had to pull the goggles, slow down, and hope I blinked before something got in my eye). I can only imagine how much worse it would be without fenders.

Also, I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I don't think you should need to cut off your fenders to know where your tires are. If you are riding the quad as often as you should be, then you should instinctively know how wide your quad is and exactly where the tires are at all times without needing to look. If I had to look at my tires all the time, I'd be going really slow and probably end up hitting something while I was looking at my tires.

05-06-2003, 12:40 PM
IT's great for MX and non muddy trail rides... but after riding hatfield mccoy trails for 2 days without them and 2 XC races I said never again.. So I bought another set and swap them out for each type of racing..

I can say it does make them look better I think..but there's alot more advantages too it besides that..:D

cheetah
05-06-2003, 12:43 PM
IDK I want to shave my fenders too. I race a little MX, but mostly trails right now. I really like the looks and would love to have that little bit of extra push in the top speed seeing as I ride a lot of roads.(Still skeptical on though) I just don't know how it would work in the trails. I get muddy allready and I'm hearing both sides here. How much muddier can I really get? Plus I'm a long way from getting new plastics so if I don't like it I'm screwed. Can anyone statistically verify an increase in top speed? I'm kinda teetering in the middle right now.

AAAirbooorn
05-06-2003, 02:01 PM
Those fenders on the Bombadier don't look like they'dstop much mud. I'd like to see how they'd look on a 400ex!

DoPeExRiDeR20
05-06-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by cheetah
IDK I want to shave my fenders too. I race a little MX, but mostly trails right now. I really like the looks and would love to have that little bit of extra push in the top speed seeing as I ride a lot of roads.(Still skeptical on though) I just don't know how it would work in the trails. I get muddy allready and I'm hearing both sides here. How much muddier can I really get? Plus I'm a long way from getting new plastics so if I don't like it I'm screwed. Can anyone statistically verify an increase in top speed? I'm kinda teetering in the middle right now.

WHEN U GO TRAIL RIDING YOUR NOT GOING IN YOUR "SUNDAYS BEST" CLOTHING, OR ATLEAST NOT ANYRIDERS THAT PUSH THEMSELVES, I RIDE PRETTY MUCH ALL XC AND U CAN SEE MY PIC ON THE 1ST PAGE, I LOVE HAVING MY FENDERS SHAVED AND YOU ALREADY GET MUDDY WHEN U GO OUT AND RIDE, SO WHO CARES, HAVE FUN AND HELP OUT YOUR QUAD WITH ITS LOOKS AND PERFORMANCE..... HACK EM' OFF!!!