PDA

View Full Version : running really hot

quadgod440ex
05-05-2003, 06:02 AM
my 2002 400ex is running very very hot for some reason....it has full curtis sparxs x6 exhaust jetted with a k&n air filter i run without a airbox lid and im using 10w 40 oil with a wb rev box what could it be ??

05-05-2003, 06:24 AM
Normal :)

This machine is known to run HOT.

If you think its running hotter than it should then take a look into your jetting since a lean running engine will make it even hotter and can potentially destroy your piston etc.

There are some ways to get your ex running a little cooler like the FST add on oil cooler and air scoops etc.

Do take a look at your plug and see how it looks and let us know what jet sizes you are running (you cant really JET over the net but if your using the stock jets theres your problem) and how well the machine runs.

papaw
05-05-2003, 12:24 PM
quadgod440ex,is that all the mods you have?if so i have a friend s bike that is doing the same thing.it is a 10.5:1 406,with a cam and filter.rode it sat.and it runs for a minute or two then it acts like the piston is seizing in the bore.he ran jets in the 200 range so i know that it was not in the jetting.a bike with that little mods should not need scoops or a oil cooler.if you figure it out shoot some info this way,and i'll do the same.....thanks..
oh and he is running an x-6 also i'm thinking that it may have something to do with it running hot.those pipes are for highly modded motors.he makes an x-4 for slight modded motors....i think i'll give sparks a call....

Dune Surfer
05-05-2003, 12:37 PM
What jets are you running? They do run hot though. I would guess you would want to be at about a 165 main jet.

papaw
05-05-2003, 12:38 PM
just talked to sparks and they have ran those pipes on stockers.this motor we have is not leaking any where from and outside point of view i.e. at the carb,intake.maybe it is in the oil system not pumping oil therefore extra heat...

quadgod440ex
05-05-2003, 12:40 PM
i used to have a white brothers drop in cam and the cam got whipped out so i had to put the stock one back in it..... for some reason it wasnt ever getting this hot with that cam in it im confused!!

papaw
05-05-2003, 12:56 PM
that makes about 4 of us.we have been all over this motor checked the head,piston,head gasket,carb,cdi box,the only thing we really haven't tried is the actual timing but it is stock its not that hard to set the timing on these puppies.i have done it too many times.unless it is in the pickup over on the mag side.did your cam go bad because of this heat problem?if so we might be getting close.not saying that we have the same problem but it sure sounds like it...

quadgod440ex
05-05-2003, 01:18 PM
actually no i dont think that was from the head problem i actually changed the clutch in my bike and i put silicone on the side of the gastket and where the clutch side case on there is oil gusset holes and it wasnt letting alot of oil into the head stupid mistake i have so if u guys did put silicone on the clutch case i would just double check before this happens to you guys good luck im still trying to figure this problem out

papaw
05-05-2003, 01:25 PM
hopefully you got all the silicone out and its not causing the problem.still searching ......

quadgod440ex
05-05-2003, 01:29 PM
yeah i hope i did maybe i should take it apart and check it out and blow threw the holes with a compressir and clear it out to make sure