PDA

View Full Version : What is this from???

400grl
05-05-2003, 03:36 AM
Hey everyone - my 440 got rode hard and put away wet last night:devil, but not before I noticed some black goopy looking grease(?) coming out of my bearing carrier (stock) - or at least that is where it looks like it's coming from. Any idea if this means my bearing is going out? Or if the carrier is busted? :confused:

WildCatRacer
05-05-2003, 03:46 AM
if you can do that to your 440, I cant imagine where the grease would be spilling outta me after a ride. :eek2:
wouldnt hurt to pull it apart. how does it feel when you rotate the tires by hand?

400grl
05-05-2003, 03:57 AM
Well - makes some noise, but that's partially due to the fact that I noticed my rear brake pads were non-existant - as in, worn down past the metal....(I'm not bad to my quad....really! I looooove it!) so the caliper makes noise right now......should I be looking for wobble in the axle, or noise? I'll pull it all apart, but just wondering what might be causing the grease leak.....

WildCatRacer
05-05-2003, 04:09 AM
both wobble and noise. its not a big job, so might as well check it out. it could also just be extra grease if you just put it togather recently. usally a quad like to sit and talk for a while and be told its loved after being riden. you dont take care of it....it will just move on to some other rider.

400grl
05-05-2003, 04:23 AM
LOL!!! Yeah - I know - I'm working on reconciliation. I whored it out yesterday, too and now it feels cheap (let my Yamaha loving boyfriend ride it - think I am making progress turning him to the Honda side! :devil ) - but it was for a good cause!

It won't leave me.....it loves me!!!! I take good care of it usually.......;) :D

BadA$$440
05-05-2003, 06:36 AM
lol,you guys are a trip. Jack the rear end up, then grab one of the rear tires and try to wobbe the axle up and down, if it does wobble, you need bearings. The grease could just be from so much grease already packed in there and after a hard ride it got squeeyed out. Look on ebay, they got brand new bearing carriers for like $120, comes with bearings and seals already in it so you dont have to mess with it.

05-05-2003, 06:48 AM
Corry,,,mine did that last weekend after riding in some major rain. The Grease I used broke down to what appears to be oil,,,like you mentioned. I took my carrier out this week and pumped it full of different grease to fix the problem. My bearings were fine but you probably should do the same thing I did.. Mine slung that crap all over my plastic, sprocket hub, axle, etc.. Looks like chit but I think you'll be OK...find better grease is the fix for this...:ermm: Mine's got Mobil 1 synthetic in it now....:D

05-05-2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Flipper
if you can do that to your 440, I cant imagine where the grease would be spilling outta me after a ride. :eek2:
LMAO I was thinking the same thing :D

Try the axle movement test described below etc and if it shows the slightest amount of play pull out the axle and check it out.

If you dont have the style that uses the useless grease zerks then your bearings are most likely sealed and the stuff your seeing wouldnt be from the bearings unless there totally shot.

Its all just nuts and bolts removal to get the axle out so may as well check it out and see whats going on if you have the time etc. and if all seems ok just throw a set of new (preferably non chineese) bearings in there so you know your good to go.

400grl
05-05-2003, 10:25 AM
Cool - thanks guys! I've just never seen that stuff before - I have an extra stock bearing carrier in case mine is messed up, so that's good - hopefully it's not anything major - I don't feel like spending a bunch of time on it today.........;) :D Unless it's riding it!:D

lil400exman
05-05-2003, 10:34 AM
but think of it like this corry: Pay a little now rather than alot l8er! Just take it apart check it out pack iwth grease and make sure its nothign so u dont have to have a new carrier................;)

Mr_Bub400ex
05-05-2003, 11:15 AM
i dont really have an opinion on this but congrats on getting into dirtwheels... but it puzzles me that u never mentioned exriders like rico did :eek:

400grl
05-05-2003, 11:19 AM
I'm pretty sure I mentioned exriders and one of my major sponsors.......and they edited my letter a little, too - they made it sound like i had my hood installed by someone, but I told them I did it myself. That's just how mags are...they like to make the letters all sound the same........I think they edit most of them at least a little. Mine was probably too long, knowing me.....I like to blab! ;)

Mr_Bub400ex
05-05-2003, 11:29 AM
they musta edited it good. no mention of sponsors or exriders and it sounds like u had someone install the hood. stupid dirtwheels...:rolleyes:

05-05-2003, 11:30 AM
My carrier is a burgard billet carrier that's got 3 races and a hatfield mccoy trip on it and it started leaking... Corry I think it's the grease....my axle is still tighter than dicks hatband but leaked..I wouldn't sweat it really...;)

400grl
05-05-2003, 11:31 AM
Cool - thanks Rico! I'll let you guys know how it checks out!

BadA$$440
05-05-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Rico
My carrier is a burgard billet carrier that's got 3 races and a hatfield mccoy trip on it and it started leaking... Corry I think it's the grease....my axle is still tighter than dicks hatband but leaked..I wouldn't sweat it really...;)

ya, it has to be the grease, cause i have to same carrier with a couple races on it and it dont leak at all

400grl
05-11-2003, 06:56 AM
Well - update!! I checked it out - my axle is wiggling like a mf...I can see my seal is completely blown out and the bearing is definately shot. We are going to remove the entire carrier and replaced it with my extra stocker...then check to see if the carrier is damaged at all or if it's just the bearing. Yeah...I only put about 2 more laps on it after the rear started to feel all funny, so hopefully I will just need the bearings. Glad I got a spare! ;) Thanks for all the input guys! :)

norrisboat
05-11-2003, 08:05 AM
You should have never whored it out to a lousy raptor rider. Hmmmm. Im disappointed. Now its tainted. I never want to ride yours now. I might get cudies. Where did you guys go riding this week?

WildCatRacer
05-11-2003, 08:09 AM
now next time tell it you love it before you park it. ;)

400grl
05-12-2003, 11:18 AM
I know I know....(hanging head in shame...:o ) - I deserve this - could have been a lot worse! Gotta stick to Honda riders only...lesson learned! :D

We didn't go riding at all this weekend - and it's killing me!!!! The Raptor is apart, and I didn't have any time to fix my carrier...that will happen this week. We went to ET last weekend.

We are planning on Motogrande on Friday night - you should go! :)