PDA

View Full Version : D23 Harescrambles in Monticello, who went?

infantry317
05-05-2003, 01:08 AM
It was my first XC race so it joined the Sport B group but like a dumbazz, forgot the Wisconsin Sport C guys were there, and I lined up with them in the third row. The second gun went off and I saw one guy in line with me take off, I should have taken off with him, but I hesistated and waited for the next gun 60sec. later since it was my first race. Big mistake, the C guys were very slow.

I caught up to the B guys, came in 18 of 24. I didn't think that was too bad considering my mistake. Kissed a few trees with the bars, got hung up on sapplings a few times. Predators had big problems, too wide, I passed 3 of them, got passed by one.

What was up with B running 2hrs? Everyone I talked to said that B ran 1hr.. The sound check was BS, they were on setting "C" when everyone thaought they were supposing to be running setting "A" (less decibels), I barely made 99db with 5 disks on my WB slip-on and a stock engine. :rolleyes:

It was fun though.

PhilMoore
05-05-2003, 03:52 AM
I went but got DQ'ed cuz my exhaust was too loud. :(

I have a new White Brothers R4 slip on. My 400EX idles at 102 db, and jumps to 108db off idle :eek2:

The test guys said White Brothers exhaust were top contenders of the worst for noise that they had seen all weekend.

Did it rain when the quads took off? I went back up to a friends in St. Cloud to tear apart the muffler, and see if repacking would help. When I took it apart, and saw the packing was still perfect, I realized nothing I could do to this pipe (short of completely filling it with glass) would help, I said screw it. It started raining at 3pm sharp in St. Cloud.

As far as the testers go, I don't hold anything against them because they are volunteers. But, why would there be different settings on a DB meter? Either there is sound or there isn't. That is kinda stupid to have a "setting" on an instrument like that. Unless maybe it is a sensitivity setting for ultra quiet sound detection or something. Why they would need such a fancy 3 level db meter for a engine sound meter is beyond me. Maybe that is where all our fee money went. One thing I don't understand though, is with all the fees and stuff we have to pay, why are these things so disorganized? It is almost as if they haven't done some of this stuff before. People didn't know where to put the tally sheets or even the number stickers sometimes.

I didn't even find the info about the race on the D23 website. I had to finally find it on the Norsemen website. It just seems strange to me that they don't keep on top of all this and make it more easy for first timers to figure out.

infantry317
05-05-2003, 05:11 AM
Hey Phil, I was keeping an eye out for you, but didn't see ya. I think they need to have paid help that work the circuit or something. They actually got into an arguement at sound testing over the setting. The one guy said "did you test him on A", "no, on C like everyone", "The rules say A", "what rules, we've tested everyone on C". So they went with C. :mad:

I ran five disks and kept my airbox lid on, it ran ok.
Sorry you didn't get to ride.

quadnice
05-05-2003, 12:50 PM
Took home 3rd in the A class. Had 2nd in the bag til my charge for 1st got the best of me & quad on lap 3 of 5, Bent tie rod on tree, & 10ft. ahead wedged quad at bumper/A arm. Took like 2 mins to dislodge, thats when 3rd rolled up on me. I regained 2nd, but the steering was FUBAR & wore me out quick.
Oh well next time!
The course was freakin whooped out to the max.
The little double in the back was fun!!!
93 db reading on my full Yosh Z 440 w/medium tip, was tempted to open up system, but didn't want to mess with a good thing.

infantry317
05-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Congrats Quadnice! I must have see you there. My buddy Greg was pretty let down with 8th in A.

infantry317
05-05-2003, 01:29 PM
Cory serving as pitman changing out disks on the exhaust.

infantry317
05-05-2003, 01:30 PM
Greg's rig. I was too tired for that double! :blah

quadnice
05-05-2003, 04:16 PM
The bent tie rod = FATIGUE / 3rd place
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p7b05d39f90a69f87468ada3a637b6888/fc343cd7.jpg

The Rigs
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p5a5f400df5ec7093843dac5a4eac7522/fc343caf.jpg

quadnice
05-05-2003, 04:19 PM
Sponsor/Teammate/Good Bud
You guys probably passed him, he was the one with blown Headgasket in the woods

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p6fa91355627f79103637b2fbcc4a01e1/fc343ccc.jpg

Yeah that double was deceiving! 1st couple laps I went around it too!

Here's the link for D-23 racing MX/H.S. - Go to event schedules
http://www.armca.org/

infantry317
05-06-2003, 12:54 AM
Yeah I rememer your bud in the woods, I didn't know what was up that he was just sitting there, thought maybe he was tired out, he's a big boy, I'm 275-280 myself and I was huffing and puffing on the 3rd & 4th laps! :devil

PhilMoore
05-06-2003, 02:31 AM
Congratulations you guys! Sounds like you had a good time. I am going to get a stock muffler and hit Akely in June. Hope I see you there.

Phil

quadnice
05-06-2003, 04:24 AM
I'm working Akeley, & I'll race Arkansas, Wi. the following week.
WORCS race June 7 in Ill, Id like to go race that one if someone's interested in the gas/drive split. I figure it's about 6 hours from T.C. area.
Yeah he was chilling in the woods!!! He's got a 500 stroker motor in that EX & having problems keeping a head gasket from blowing out. Only thing we can think to do next is O-ring the head.

infantry317
05-06-2003, 01:25 PM
Just looked @ my quad, bent a tie rod :mad: could have been worse!

bartlettracing
05-10-2003, 02:33 AM
Hi guy's ! Im the Big guy in that picture ,nope not tired at all ! I was running awsome in A class untill my head gasket blew . Oh well another day .

I just wanted to clairify the db testing for some of you . The seting's on the db meter are for max limmits only if the meter was set to low it would only read to 100db . Thats were some mistakes happend ... they were letting 100db guy's race . but infact they were probly louder than 100db !!!

The db testing suck's big time !!! But it is there to secure our racing ! Noise is the biggest complant we get .

Hope to meet some of you guy's at the next akley event ,stop in and say Hi !!!

I now own the the only 400ex with 9/16-18 head bolts !!!! there fricken huge !!!! still waiting on my custom head gasket . :eek2:

p.s . the meter is from raido shack

infantry317
05-10-2003, 07:15 AM
Hey Bartlett, I gave you a nod as I passed you a few times, I was on the #73 400ex with red Oneal gear. I sure had fun but if all the scrambles are that rough on the quad, I may not race the woods too much more. I bent my right AC Pro peg mount in addtion to a tie rod (which I bent back), but I'm gonna need to pick up the mounts. I'll probably see you @ the next one!
Scott