PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of a snorkel block-off?

fmf400ex
05-05-2003, 12:38 AM
I have seen this in many of peoples sigs. I have have seen these forsale in nacs also. And are there any advantages to taking off your snorkle? Like more air flow or any little gains of power?
thanks in advance for any info

4TraxRider
05-05-2003, 01:10 AM
When you run a quad without the airbox lid, you don't need a snorkel. If you just take the snorkel off, you'll suck water and debris a lot easier. With the blockoff things can only get in throught the top of the box, not the hole where the snorkel used to be.

L.Vegas400
05-05-2003, 03:59 AM
i took my snorkle off when i first bought my 400. i just put a piece of panty hose over it to keep the big dirt particles out. now i dont have the lid on and took the hose off and havent noticed a difference. there is only about a 4 inch difference between the hole and the top of the air box, so if you ride in water its gonna splash in to the air box anyway, blocking it off would just close off the the only way the water has to get out. personal openion: waste of $$, if you want it blocked off i hear a rattle can lid fits good and its cheep.

nacs400ex
05-05-2003, 08:33 AM
Yeah, its a waste of money, so I just used a spray paint can lid, with a nacs sticker on it :p

AndrewRRR
05-05-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by L.Vegas400
blocking it off would just close off the the only way the water has to get out.

400ex airboxes don't have a drain hole in the bottom of the airbox? :huh

nacs400ex
05-05-2003, 09:47 AM
Could have fooled me ! I have one on all 3 of my 400ex's:rolleyes:

nakomis0
05-05-2003, 11:12 AM
They have a snorkel block off, becuase, dont know how true it is or whatever.... but... When you remove the lide you have air coming from the top, and from the snorkel.. and the 2 airs hit eachother and work against eachother.

So if you have the blockoff, you just get air from the top, and theres no opposite air resistance...

..or something like that.:)

fmf400ex
05-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Ok thanks a lot guys, you answered all my questions.:D

nacs400ex
05-05-2003, 01:41 PM
Well I dont really see how they resist each other because the snorkal is a scoop. Its right at the gas tank covered by your plastic, there for it is actually sucking. The reason why I took the snorkal off is it was usless, if I had the lid off.

AndrewRRR
05-05-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by nakomis0
They have a snorkel block off, becuase, dont know how true it is or whatever.... but... When you remove the lide you have air coming from the top, and from the snorkel.. and the 2 airs hit eachother and work against eachother.

So if you have the blockoff, you just get air from the top, and theres no opposite air resistance...

..or something like that.:)

:huh um.... wow
air is like water, it takes the path of least resistance.

L.Vegas400
05-06-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
400ex airboxes don't have a drain hole in the bottom of the airbox? :huh
if you want to get technical, they dont. there is a clear collector clamped on to the bottom of it, now if you were to take that off then you would have a drain, but then would the air comming in that hole hit the air comming in the top and cause resistance.:ermm:

AndrewRRR
05-07-2003, 06:18 AM
if you want to get technical, they dont. there is a clear collector clamped on to the bottom of it, now if you were to take that off then you would have a drain, but then would the air comming in that hole hit the air comming in the top and cause resistance.:ermm:

I don't think the air from the bottom would be pushing against the air from the top, it would just be getting sucked into the filter, as was the topside air.
I'm suprised they don't just put a check valve at the bottom of the airbox to allow water out but not in.

crashinmatt
05-07-2003, 09:41 AM
the main thing i see in takin the snorkle off, is the air where the snorkle sucks from is hot from the motor, and heat is a main contributor to power loss. so, if u reduce the heated air comin in, it may equal in a power gain. now im not talkin noticably. actually so very small. now dont quote me on this part just something to think about. now as forpluggin the hole, u can buy those block off things, or just use a spray paint can, or be creative and make something.

L.Vegas400
05-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
I don't think the air from the bottom would be pushing against the air from the top
i was being sacastic in reference to an earlier post. just messin.

AndrewRRR
05-07-2003, 06:38 PM
i was being sacastic in reference to an earlier post. just messin.

aahhhh, gotcha :D

MichaelS693
05-08-2003, 08:19 AM
snorkle? only on 400's? someone help me:D :bandit:

nacs400ex
05-09-2003, 08:59 AM
???:eek2: