PDA

View Full Version : air filter?

KASCHAK
05-04-2003, 02:45 PM
which air filter does everyone run? k&n - twin air - uni or for people that make there own air filter with socks or what ever they use - other

KASCHAK
05-04-2003, 02:46 PM
also do you have pre filters on them or run an open air box ?

AtvMxRider
05-04-2003, 02:49 PM
K&N with outerwear and 6 one inch holes in the lid.

White_Knuckles
05-04-2003, 04:19 PM
Fact: foam styles like the UNI have similar flow compaired to K&N and proven better fine particle blocking properties.

The oiled gauze K&N style get a bashing for passing more fine dust but have a performance flow boost (myth?). The Outerwears product makes up for the dirt passing concern on oiled gauze filters and may allow less filter cleaning. Now they offer an oiled foam sleeve to go over your K&N, might as well run foam for what that does. Adding any sleeve product reduces flow, the original reason for having it.

K&N got their fame in the 70's when sports car and street bikes installed them right on to the carb intake and indeed yielded remarkable flow improvement eliminating airbox and air-cleaners. This works great for street applications.

It seems K&N's does work well for sand / desert riders where the foam is a good choice for dusty areas. I did some research on this subject and discovered flow bench tests results were nearly the same and challenge any K&N filter user to swap to a UNI and claim any difference. Being a "hot" topic however, I wouldn't suggest K&N users to change if they feel it's their Dumbo's magic feather adding marginal performance gains.

Peace ~ :ermm:

trailburner
05-04-2003, 04:26 PM
I run a K&N with a pre filter[outerwear] work great!!!!! BUT the uni's are great filters to, if i had to buy another filter it would be a uni..... ;)

Diedrich
05-04-2003, 05:01 PM
i run a K&N with an outerwear and 6 1" holes in the air box

2000400EX
05-05-2003, 06:36 AM
I also run a K&N with an outerwear and stock airbox lid. I've never had any problems with it, but I do mostly trail riding.

phatswinn
05-05-2003, 06:42 AM
K&N for me too, no outer ware though, its not evry dusty were i ride

KY Woods Rider
05-05-2003, 07:29 AM
I run a UNI with a pantyhose pre-filter (I'm too cheap to buy my prefilters:D). I'm also running with the airbox lid on.

My reason for choosing a UNI is simple, I've used them for years with good results, and I just can't bring myself to trust a K&N to stop all the fine dust, leaves, weed seeds, and water that works its way into the airbox while I'm riding.

While on the subject of stopping dust and such, I also use PJ1 foam filter oil which is the best I've found so far (super tacky and doesn't pool up on the bottom of the filter unless you just drowned the filter in oil and stuck it back in).

KASCHAK
05-05-2003, 08:34 AM
i have a k&n filter no nuttin stock lid i want to get the breathers for it and a prefilter soon tho.

05-05-2003, 09:07 AM
If people learned how to properly oil a K&N filter they probably wouldn't have any problems. :ermm: My buddy had several problems with his too....but I guess cleaning it with gasoline and spraying it down with a hose with about 300 lbs of pressure probably didn't have anything to do with it....:rolleyes:

thumpa6x
08-05-2003, 12:47 PM
My reason for choosing a UNI is simple, I've used them for years with good results, and I just can't bring myself to trust a K&N to stop all the fine dust, leaves, weed seeds, and water that works its way into the airbox while I'm riding.
shouldn't be driving through weed fields in the first place lol

i got a K&N with a outerwears. it works great for me

mx400
08-05-2003, 01:05 PM
i run a K&N with K&N pre-filter with sparks racing airbox mod

carlj75
08-05-2003, 01:12 PM
K&N with outerwears pre-filter. No lid. I only ride in sand though.

Butters
08-05-2003, 02:19 PM
i run a K&N. but the original owner ruined the filter by cleaning it with gas. and like Rico said thats not good.

AtvMxRider
08-05-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Rico
If people learned how to properly oil a K&N filter they probably wouldn't have any problems. :ermm:

I agree with this knuckle head on that.....:blah:

ewalker302
08-05-2003, 10:01 PM
Uni & K&N flow the same.

Uni filters filter more dust, they just do.

K&N spends way more money in advertising,
Plus they cost more.

Go read the tech articles page with questions to Mickey Dunlap.
Sombody asked him the same question.
He said to run a k&n with a outercover, and then he says if its in dusty conditions to put FOAM over that.

Ok then I read another thread somewhere where a guy smeared a strip of vaselene in the intake tube and tried both filters, the same way. He said he almost cried when he saw how much dust was stuck to the vaselene after the k&n b/c thats what he had been using.

I think K&N's work great on cars & trucks where they are somewhat protected by the engine compartment.

But on a quad where the intake is 2-3 ft from the ground, every little bit helps. especially if you are often riding with others and are always running through their dust clouds.

Ive seen plenty of people say that UNI filters dust better than k&n.
But no one going the other way. They only say they flow better, but i've never seen anything to back it up.

I guess if I paid 50 bucks for a air filter Id post something 2 so I didnt feel like I got taken.

either way U gotta oil em or makes no difference.

yellow400rider
08-06-2003, 08:00 AM
UNI w/ a filterskin and no lid...i have been real pleased w/ the pc racing filterskins. gives u that little added protection like an outerwears. plus when your on a weekend trip u can just pull it off and put on a freshly oiled one and your good to go. i ran this combo out at pismo for 2 days and the UNI filter itself looked like it hadnt been touched. and not a speck of dust in the intake boot :)

cals400ex
08-06-2003, 10:35 AM
where can i fine the faq with mickey dunlap?

by the way i use a uni filter, no lid, and outerwear airbox cover

ewalker302
08-06-2003, 04:03 PM
Sorry it is in the tech articles on the home page not the faq. (Mickey Dunlap questions.)
:bandit:

Meek
08-06-2003, 11:26 PM
I use Notoil or stock filter, I ride slow.

MOFO
08-07-2003, 01:59 AM
I use a UNI filter with PJ1... I have yet to see any dust in my intake tube over the 3 years of ownership... :macho

I'm also running (6) 1" holes with UNI filter vents in my airbox lid.

Bill Fuller
08-07-2003, 02:13 AM
Uni air filter.No holes in air box.I used to use a K&N but after having to replace rings twice I switched.No noticable differance in power,but the feeling of peace of mind made me feel faster:D

ryanh250ex
08-07-2003, 03:49 AM
stock filter, stock 'box, and i use PJ1 spray on oil and cleaner. i have a really bad problem with the damn oil pooling at the bottom of the filter. to get it to be distributed evenly, i nearly throw my arm out waving the filter around on my hand, and when i put it back in, alot of it goes to the bottom of the filter and this drives me nuts! any solutions?

just to try something new (and also because my local honda dealer doesn't carry PJ1 filter stuff), i bought a No Toil filter kit, to see if that works any better. next time i clean my filter, i will try that stuff out.

cals400ex
08-07-2003, 05:46 AM
i don't have any problems with the honda oil dripping to the bottom of the filter. are you using too much oil?