PDA

View Full Version : front end converion help?

Diedrich
05-04-2003, 06:46 AM
what all do i need to put a 400ex front on my 300ex? i know a-arms, tie rods, shocks. Anything else?

Diedrich
05-04-2003, 01:07 PM
sumbody help me out here

Pappy
05-04-2003, 01:12 PM
you will need to fabricate and relocate the upper shock mounts. there is a company ive seen in DW that sold the bracketry required.

Diedrich
05-04-2003, 05:29 PM
do i need to get sum different brake lines?

Pappy
05-04-2003, 05:33 PM
im not positive...but i assume you would...but stock 400 lines should do the trick

Diedrich
05-04-2003, 05:56 PM
thanks

300exTJjeeper
05-04-2003, 05:59 PM
neg on the brake lines.
you don't need longer brakes line.
I swicthed over about 2 months ago. All you need is a custom bracket for the upper shock mount.
400ex arms and tie rods

that/s
i9t

Diedrich
05-04-2003, 06:56 PM
will a durablue lowering kit work?

WildCatRacer
05-05-2003, 02:36 AM
yes the durablue lowering kit will work...you may need to drill some holes though depending on the shocks used.... I had to with elka shocks and laeger arms. you dont need brake lines ethier. I cut and welded a freinds 250x arms and lenghtend them 2 1/2" each and the stock lines still fit. 400ex arms are only about 1/2" longer. so you need shocks, tie rods, a-arms, and a remount kit and you;ll be set.

dirtmomma
05-05-2003, 02:43 AM
If you know a GOOD welder they could make your mounts for you & save you some $$$ here's a pic of my 300 that we just got done extending the a arms & NO I didn't need new brake lines & we went +3 a side!! Good luck & you will love the new front end I guarantee that!!!:D As you can see in the pic I have 2 mounting holes on my shocks, he just cut another tab to butt up to stock one & welded it on, on our Blaster we just cut the stock bracket off & welded a whole new one that is also adjustable.

Diedrich
05-05-2003, 12:04 PM
that looks real good...i was thinking about having sumone do mine like that

toby400ex
05-05-2003, 02:37 PM
dirtymomma kept the 300ex shocks, but the bracket people are talking about is to use the 400ex shocks, i used to make the bracket but dont any more.

"BLAHH"300!!
05-05-2003, 05:12 PM
deffinatly use 400ex, or aftermarket shocks,
.....dirtymomma's quad is ganna blow if he/she uses that set up on a track, $hit...that would prolly blow on a bump..
(not bashing, it "looks" kool

...on the 300ex, the shock braket would be a lowering kit, if it were used on stock arms, and stock shocks,
...but the 400ex's shocks are close to 3 inches longer than the 300's, and the arms are wider.
...this makes the lower shock mount wider, and put the shocks at a differant angle. the longer leverage of the arms, and them being and this angle make's the shocks real soft. a nice jump will blow them out pretty easy.
...use the 400's shocks without a braket and it's like you put on a 3" lift kit....(won't work, tie rods hit the arms)

this new braket is wider, and taller, putting everything back at it's original angle's, rising the quad back to it's stock heigth, and still getting a wider front end, and everything.

i'd like to have the upper braket a little higher, so the front end sit's about an inch lower than stock, maybe even 1 1/2 or 2

you can also use parts from a 250r, but you'll need to shave a little off the shock bushings so they will fit in the shock mounts.
their just a hair too wide. i'm not sure if the 300's bushings on the 250's arms will work or not.

sound like a science teacher or somethin'

lil400exman
05-06-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
If you know a GOOD welder they could make your mounts for you & save you some $$$ here's a pic of my 300 that we just got done extending the a arms & NO I didn't need new brake lines & we went +3 a side!! Good luck & you will love the new front end I guarantee that!!!:D As you can see in the pic I have 2 mounting holes on my shocks, he just cut another tab to butt up to stock one & welded it on, on our Blaster we just cut the stock bracket off & welded a whole new one that is also adjustable.
dirtmomma you need new shocks please your freaking me ot the shocks will blow on hte main or aomehting and it wont be good! Get some 250r shocks on there! i am selling mine for a set with a-arms so u can still ride woods if u want..............;)

dirtmomma
05-06-2003, 02:58 AM
Well 1st off it's D I R T M O M M A!!!!! Next , if I put my front shocks back to stock postion is it still going to be as stressful on them?? Lil400EXman you act like I got money comin out my ***** I can't just go out & buy a pair of F'ing shocks just like that unfortunetly my parents don't buy my stuff or whatever!!!!!!:grr :huh NOW IF ANYONE HAS A SET OF 400 SHOCKS THEY WANT TO SELL RESONABLE I WOULD TAKE THOSE FOR NOW TO GET EVERYONE OFF MY BACK!! Damn you've been riding me since I did this. I can also set up a shock fund & if you guys want to donate to it that would be cool too;) :p sorry for going off but some of us have to do what we can w/ what we have, I'm not out there hitting big air or anything, & every person that has seen it in person NOT A ONE has said anything about blowing my shocks out!! Thanks for the................

lil400exman
05-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Well 1st off it's D I R T M O M M A!!!!! Next , if I put my front shocks back to stock postion is it still going to be as stressful on them?? Lil400EXman you act like I got money comin out my ***** I can't just go out & buy a pair of F'ing shocks just like that unfortunetly my parents don't buy my stuff or whatever!!!!!!:grr :huh NOW IF ANYONE HAS A SET OF 400 SHOCKS THEY WANT TO SELL RESONABLE I WOULD TAKE THOSE FOR NOW TO GET EVERYONE OFF MY BACK!! Damn you've been riding me since I did this. I can also set up a shock fund & if you guys want to donate to it that would be cool too;) :p sorry for going off but some of us have to do what we can w/ what we have, I'm not out there hitting big air or anything, & every person that has seen it in person NOT A ONE has said anything about blowing my shocks out!! Thanks for the................
i have worked for everything myself thank you very much D I R T M O M M A !
i will sell my 250r shocks just like 400ex's for say 60 buks?:)

Diedrich
05-06-2003, 10:36 AM
i want mine to set lower than stock height..is there any stock shock i can get thats only about 2 inches longer than a 300ex?

"BLAHH"300!!
05-06-2003, 11:34 AM
...i want mine lower than stock too.
if you buy aftermarket 300ex shocks, they'll be the same length as the stock 300's shocks, and it will sit lower. or use the 300's shocks.....
the 300's are fine if all you do is ride trails. i kept mine on there for a long time, even jumped on them. but no higher than 3 or 4 foot.
..other than that go with 400 or 250 shocks, and get someone to make the brakett taller than it normally would be.
instead of
2 inches higher (stock heigth)
go with 4 inches, (2 inch drop,)
..don't mark me on that, becouse i don't know if there's enugh room with the fender support's.....but...if you wanted it real bad, then you could make the braket, and make fender brakets that mount to it....bamm..

d i r t m a m m a
...man i'm not bashing ur bike..i like it,
the guy asked a question, and i was giving him the correct information..
..i buy all my parts too, and yeah it's tuff....i get pised when poeple say "buy a 400"...
i got lucky, and my income tax, plus what little work i did this year is just enugh to cover what i need to get my bike back to
non-embarrasing condition...i know exactly how it feels.
i've been ridin' withough ANY fender's for a year. my fronts were shaved, and the only rear plastic i had was all UNDER the seat...prety much.i had a wing back there..my front sprok's been missin' 2 teeth for a year, and my rar sproket was being held on by 3 bolts that i picked up at the hardware store...when i put it in gear, the rear sproket would turn 1/2 inch before it cought and i started moving.
....that's ahight tho' i'll get pics up soon enugh.

dirtmomma
05-06-2003, 01:26 PM
lil400exman are you serious about the 250R shocks?? What kind of shape is it in?? Have a pic of it?? I think I would be very interested in them if they are fronts & your serious!! Sorry for getting a litte *itchy there just a moment I guess haha I just don't like to get crap for something I'm working my butt off trying to make nice little by little w/ what I got. But if you've got front shocks in decent shape email or PM me & let me know:) Thanks

lil400exman
05-07-2003, 04:47 AM
yes i am serious! lol no problem i am just scared for you safety about those shocks. I just dont want another person in our sport getting hurt and giving this great sport a bad name. but yes i think 70 dollars (inlcuding shipping) is fair? if so pm me and we can work out the lil things.............;)

gimmie your email and i can send a pic of them (there in my dirty bike but they are now off and cleaned up!):)