PDA

View Full Version : Buying used--What to look for??

Tweeked
05-03-2003, 09:59 AM
Hey guys,
I plan on going to look at this '95 300ex this guy was selling for 800 (because its in ruff condition) in a few days. So I'm just wondering what are some things to look out for?

I know to check the Chain, Sprokets, Axle and swingarm bearings, front wheel bearings, air filter, but what are some other things to check?

And what are the signs for a worn chain, sprokets, bearings, etc?

Basicaly I need to know WHAT to look at and what to look FOR.

Thanks

250EXking
05-03-2003, 10:06 AM
make sure it runs:D

Tweeked
05-03-2003, 10:06 AM
Yeah it runs great he said, except that it has a slight clicking noise.

sweet300ex
05-03-2003, 11:14 AM
frame cracks, blown shocks, bent bars etc

Tweeked
05-03-2003, 11:21 AM
ok,
thanks. Anyone else have some ideas on things I have to look out for, and what are the possible signs for those things?

Thanks

KY Woods Rider
05-03-2003, 01:42 PM
The main thing that I look at when buying a used quad (other than simple stuff, like if it runs and moves) is the welds on the frame. If the frame is going to crack, it is probably going to be at a weld. Obviously you can't see every one of the welds, but look around all of them you can (especially around shock mounts, swingarm pivot, motor mounts, steering stem mount, and any area close to the footpegs). Other than a gaping hole, look for rust or paint cracking off around welds. Paint comes off of the welds on many machines as they age (due to moisture and/or above average stress on the frame), so you may have to closely check several welds to see if its just missing paint or if there is a small crack starting to develop. While looking at the welds, see if there are any places that look like they have already been rewelded (new or unmatched paint around the weld will give you a clue). Also, get back from the quad and see if it looks out of shape. If something just doesn't look right, then check to see if it's just the plastic bent/mounted incorrectly, or if it's a twist in the frame or subframe (usually due to crash damage).

As for bearings, its pretty easy, if they have play and/or make clunking or clicking noises then they're worn out.

Chains and sprockets are pretty simple too. If the chain has rust on it or some of the links are kinked, then it is either just plain worn out or it hasn't been properly maintained; either way, it needs to be replaced. Sprockets that have broken teeth, hooked teeth, or teeth that are worn sharp need to be replaced.

As for the clicking noise in the engine, the most likely reason is that the valves are out of adjustment. A slightly more costly and time-consuming possibility is that the timing chain is worn out and flopping around. Even if it is the timing chain, it isn't really a big deal, it will just require a new timing chain and a couple hours of work.

Tweeked
05-03-2003, 03:13 PM
Thanks KY,
Your help will be great when I start inspecting it. I'll rememeber all the places to check and look for. Yes, the clicking is the valves, thats what I was told by from the owner. He said it had been in a shed for 2 years and wasn't ever riden - along with several other quads he's selling and decided he needed to sell it so he pulled it out a couple weeks ago and would run it every so often. He also said it was a little rough---Scratched/Cracked plastics, Torn seat, valves needing ajustment, tires worn down, and things like that - that shouldn't take much to replace--Hopefully.

If I end up buying it - the first things i'll do are order tires, plastics, seat cover and any other parts needed to get it in good condition. I'll also need a valve clearance tool to ajust the valves - although I don't know a whole lot about doing that, but it sounds easy and I hear the longest part of the whole deal is removing all the stuff to get to the valves. Also, I don't have a torque rench, I do have a socket rench with tons of sockets though...Will I need to purchase a torque rench for doing the valves and any other engine work?

I've also heard its good to inspect the transmission and make sure it shifts into all 5 gears fine, is that somehting I should do?

Thanks again for the help.

KY Woods Rider
05-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Tweeked
Will I need to purchase a torque rench for doing the valves and any other engine work?

I've also heard its good to inspect the transmission and make sure it shifts into all 5 gears fine, is that somehting I should do?

A torque wrench isn't truly necessary for minor work like adjusting the valves. The main benefit to using a torque wrench for such tasks is that you know everything is at the correct torque (good and tight without stripping the threads). For more serious engine work, such as a complete rebuild, then a torque wrench is an essential tool to make sure that all the head and cylinder bolts are at an even torque, which prevents leaking gaskets and/or a warped head.

As for the transmission, yes, that is a part of the making sure it runs and moves part of the inspection. Take a test ride and make sure everything feels and shifts alright. If there is a problem with the tranny it will likely be in the lower gears (1st thru 3rd) since they tend to see the most use and abuse. Also, make sure the quad's RPM corresponds with how it is accelerating. If the motor revs up a lot but the quad isn't pulling very hard, then either the clutch needs adjusting (simple and doesn't cost anything) or the clutch plates are worn (more expensive and a couple hours of work).