PDA

View Full Version : trouble starting 350x

Ry_300ex
05-03-2003, 08:22 AM
I just had a 350x motor put in my 300ex frame. The motor was boughten from a friend who received it from his auto shop teacher. As far as we all know the motor had never been used before my friend got it. (off subject, he had it in a kawasaki 500 dirtbike frame). He only ever put a few hours on it before i bought it.

Now for my actual question. I'm having a lot of trouble starting the 350 motor, whether cold or hot. My friend said he had the same problem with it. I'd like to know if something is tuned wrong, that's the way 350x motors are, or maybe i just don't know how to start it? Only thing not stock is the headpipe and exhaust pipe and K&N air filter. It has an inch and three quarter diameter headpipe and a supertrapp exhaust.

Any thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated. Runs great...when it starts...
Thx :confused:

Elmo on PCP
05-03-2003, 09:53 AM
those 350s are a ***** to kick over, i know for a fact my neighbor used to have one and he would kick it 5 times and he had to take a second to let his leg rest. Try to give if half throtle and kick the shifter like your kicking a door down (seriously lol). Or try bumping the piolet jet up 1 or 2 sizes

300exazzkikr
05-03-2003, 12:03 PM
yea those things are hard to kick over, one time the kicker lever sprung back and hit my shin, i could barely walk on my leg for a week it hurt so bad. Thats my favorite motor honda ever made in a four stroke anyway, 250r's are the shiznat.

WildCatRacer
05-03-2003, 05:18 PM
350Xs are a pain to start...try priming it by tapping the throttlle a couple of times before you kick it over. make sure your jetting is good and that you commpression release is ajusted proporly.

SpeedBump
05-03-2003, 05:26 PM
I got a 350X in my 300EX chassis. I don't run a decompression cable on mine. Mine starts 1st, or 2nd kick EVERTIME. There is a trick........ with the choke ON........push down the kicker......PUSH, NOT kick, the kicker about 3-4 times. Then....at the same time you kick down HARD, hit the throttle once. It should start. After it has run for a while, or for starting after it is warm, do the same, but no choke. My brother also has a 350X Trike. His starts hard after it warms up, but the technique I just explained works on his too. Good luck, let us know how it went.

Ry_300ex
05-03-2003, 05:31 PM
well, thx guys. I'm hoping to get a chance to try workin on my starting technique tomorrow, lol... If that still fails though, i'm gonna see about getting it rejetted, see if that will help. But yeah, if anyone has any other ideas, keep em comin :)

THX

SpeedBump
05-04-2003, 12:02 AM
LMAO!!!!!!!!! Spend the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ if you're not:macho enough to KICK IT!!!!!!:blah J/K check out this site, they can cure all your starting blues.....for a price.

http://www.spinreel.com/goki-atv.html

heavy_d
05-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by 300exazzkikr
yea those things are hard to kick over, one time the kicker lever sprung back and hit my shin, i could barely walk on my leg for a week it hurt so bad. Thats my favorite motor honda ever made in a four stroke anyway, 250r's are the shiznat.

i hate when that happens, it happened a few times with my brothers 250x and the one time it happpened with my zilla it felt like my shin broke in half

CBW
05-04-2003, 03:01 AM
I had an 86 350X that started on the first, or second kick EVERYTIME. But you had to kick it hard and fast,,,,,,,no half way kicks:macho

Burden7
05-05-2003, 02:41 AM
Yes, there is definitely a trick to starting the 350x. I have mine big bored to a 12:1 452cc without a decompression cable. I can stand on the kick-starter and it won't move on the compression stroke. The trick is, to get is just past the compression stroke and then kick it with all your might and at the same time as you kick it, give it a little bit of gas. It will usually start on the 1st or 2nd kick every time. I have never used the choke. If this doesn't work, I would look into cleaning the carb or start troubleshooting somewhere else. Jetting, electrical, etc., etc. The 350x is really an easy starting motor once you get to know the temperament of it.

WildCatRacer
05-05-2003, 04:21 AM
I have a high compression piston, but it is stock bore and yes you never wanna jusr start kicking it over like its a worn out blaster. I have twisted my ankle before and I have started mine up the right way many many times. I have a wore out lectron carb on mine thats why I need to prime the throttle. as long as you have everything well ajusted and well matained it should start alright. helps after you know it a little better. just like hopping on your freinds quad...theres always little tricks that everyone knows about there own quad.