PDA

View Full Version : carb help please STRIPED SCREWS :(

tahoe97
05-03-2003, 08:21 AM
I was in the process of trying to drop my needle on my stock 400ex carb and once i got into the carb and tried to remove those 2 little screws down inside that holds the needle assembly.. the screws striped out.. i guess i had the wrong screw driver or they were too tight from the factory.. I know i will probably have to drill them out or guys what can i do.. i hope i have not messed up too bad..

tahoe97
05-03-2003, 08:28 AM
i have looked at online parts fische and it doesnt even show down inside the top of the carb under what i think is called slide cover and i dont see those 2 little screws does anyone know what part number it would be or have any help for me..

thanks in advance

Guy400
05-03-2003, 09:19 AM
Here's what you can try to do. It might save you from having to drill. Remove the phillips-head bolt that holds the arm that lifts the entire barrel assembly. Remove the black plastic cover on the right hand side of the carb and slowly pull the shaft out that goes through that arm on the top side of the carb. Now you should be able to pull the entire barrel out of the carb. With it outside the carb you can then try a set of Vise-Grips on those screws and see if they'll come out this way.

White_Knuckles
05-03-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
With it outside the carb you can then try a set of Vise-Grips on those screws and see if they'll come out this way.

If the screw heads are reachable try using diagonal wire cutters(dikes) to bite into the screw head while turning. Vise-grips have a rather large jaw size for small screws.