PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Painting Flames

Stevie-D
05-03-2003, 12:54 AM
ive always been a huge fan of flame paint jobs. so, i decided to try it:macho on a Plastic seat off my bmx bike. so...i looked at some pics on the internet to see exactly what i wanted them to look like, and started. i didnt rough up the plastic or use a primer, so it aint sticken to good. anyway, i painted seat blue,let dry, covered with ducttape. but the ducttape took some of the blue paint off(what other tape will work? but isnt sooo sticky?)then i took a marker, and drew how i wanted the flames to look. then i used a utility knife to cut out the pieces of tape that would create the flames, and painted it red. then clearcoat. but the red spraypaint ran under the ducttape a bit, so it looks kinda bad in a few spots if your close to it.

sooooo...i need help....how do i stop the paint from leakin under the tape?
also, does anyone know how to create a 2 color flame? like a blue background with red and yellow flames...

Guy400
05-03-2003, 01:14 AM
Go to any store that sells autobody paint and supplies. They've got all the masking tape and paper you'll need to do it. The key to painting is light coats. Don't go for it all at once. Nice, even sprays will yield the best results. Don't worry if the first coat doesn't cover everything because 3-4 light coats will look much better than 1 heavy coat that ran.

blondie69
05-03-2003, 01:14 AM
u could use painters tape maybe?:huh (it looks like masking tape but it isn't quite so sticky...ours is green, lol)

Stevie-D
05-03-2003, 01:25 AM
painters tape? hmm..kinda makes sence:rolleyes: :p i can get it at a hardware store right?

250rfreak
05-03-2003, 03:00 AM
ive been doing airbrushing and custom painting for several years now, i paint helmets motorycles cars trucks just about anything, if you need any help let me know, i can custom paint your helmet for cheap guarranteed, let me know

blondie69
05-03-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
painters tape? hmm..kinda makes sence:rolleyes: :p i can get it at a hardware store right?

yip any hardware store i would think should have it