PDA

View Full Version : Jet question?! :(

Narly R
05-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Sorry guys I know you hear this a lot, but i got a 350r engine and Im running stoch carb 36mm and stock pipe!(I know, I know) but Im at about 500 ft (elevation) and I have a 160 in it, and I dont know if its too lean!? The guy that I got the engine from said hes shure that it would be too fat, but I rode it and It runs really good and I took the plug out and it wasnt black at all. When I first rode it it wouldnt start after I shut it off, but today it fired right up! I dont want to seeze it!!!!!:eek: Any help would be gtreatly appritited so i can ride dis weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Narly R
05-02-2003, 05:04 PM
anyone......:rolleyes:

I guess ill start at about a 175 and work my way down.

05-02-2003, 07:20 PM
Your a little short on info (plug color, exhaust smoke, feel of power etc) but from what you did say it sounds like its right.

methyman
05-02-2003, 11:47 PM
I recomend that you start somwhere around 175-180 and see how it runs and adjust as needed. It is safer to run fat then lean and smoke a new top end. This is the way I do it and it is much safer.

Later

Matthew

Glamis400ex
05-03-2003, 03:38 AM
I think a 160 is way too lean for a 350r. My pops has a stock 88, 250r, running 40:1 ratio, and he's got a 158 in it.

Just trying to help.

Glamis

Narly R
05-03-2003, 04:17 AM
Well the plug wasnt black ay all the power was awsome (really snappy) and it only smoked when I first started it. So ythose are all sings of leaness.

airheadedduner
05-03-2003, 12:08 PM
I thought the stock carb was a 34??

Anyways work your way down, 160 sounds like a good starting point. How does it idle. I would think it would want a fatter pilot too. And just for safty and cause it is easy to adjust go one grove richer on the needle.

Narly R
05-03-2003, 12:42 PM
Um Im pretty shure its a 36. I think the 34 was on a 3-wheeler, but I know a 160 is too lean. It idles really well, but it shows other sings of being lean. I will have a 175 in it in about 20 minutes to Ill tell yall how it goes!

KY Woods Rider
05-03-2003, 01:08 PM
I've never had any dealings with a 350R but I have had a few 2-strokes (I'm really a 4-stroke kinda guy), but it does sound like it is too lean. I'd just go up on the jetting all the way through (pilot, needle position, and main) and work back down until I got each one correct. It's a lot easier to change a few jets and foul a few plugs than it is to rebuild a motor. The plug should be tan or light brown, and if you stop and let it idle a couple seconds then blip the throttle once or twice it should puff just a bit of smoke.

Narly R
05-03-2003, 05:51 PM
well i gots some news! I put a 172 in it and it ran like crap! it would just give out about mid range and when I pinned it at top RPMs it would rev then note then rev then not. And there was a banging noise.:huh I know it wasnt getting enough air so that might explain tghe rev problem, so I took the filter and my home-mad snorkle thing (which is why its not getting enough air) off and then just started putting jets in it till it didnt smoke a hole lot and sounded really smooth! its at a 158 right now, and its just how KY Woods Rider explained, so I think Im redy to go! And by the way when I took the air filter off it didnt do that rev then not thing. Thanks for the help!!!!

But unfortuantly my chian comes loose and now its broken!!!!:mad: