PDA

View Full Version : My K&N Precharger tore again

oynot400
08-07-2001, 12:50 PM
I cleaned my air filter last night and I noticed that my K&N Precharger was torn. This is the second one this year. Has any one had this problem? Is the Outerware's precharger any better? I know they are only $20 but I didn't think that it would be a normal wear item.

skemp
08-07-2001, 01:13 PM
The "K&N" Precharger is actually an Outerwears Prefilter. (At least this is how it was shipped to me in the K&N power kit....) It says it comes with a K&N Precharger, but the prefilter says Outerwears on it. Maybe your situation is different...
In any case, I would think the construction of the two (if there is a difference) would be almost the same. They are kind of fragile material, so tearing is probably always going to happen. Mine has a few cuts here and there. Maybe a foam prefilter from another company would work better in your situation. :D

08-07-2001, 01:21 PM
Try a double layer of pantyhose.

(Over the filter, not your head!)

skemp
08-07-2001, 08:41 PM
I have seen people do that on dirt bikes when it gets dusty. Good suggestion Fatboy Racing!
A side note: Obviously pantyhose will not work as good as a prefilter, but it is a cheap way to add dramatic protection from coarser dirt particles trying to get into your motor. It keeps quite a bit of junk from getting to the filter.

NVR2L8
08-07-2001, 09:28 PM
Cut those two little tabs in the bottom of your air box. Unless you cut them off flush with the box they'll wear a hole in your outerwear.

skemp
08-07-2001, 10:23 PM
That is what happened to mine, those tabs wore through it.

oynot400
08-08-2001, 08:11 AM
I alread cut the tabs off, that is how I lost my first precharger. I was thinking of getting the Outerwares air box cover and blocking off the snorkle then keeping the precharger that I already have.
I doubled up the two prechargers last night and ran it for little while. I seemed like it would work, but I could tell it had more restriction than it use to.