PDA

View Full Version : buying my first quad, please help.

Mr. Tuesday
05-02-2003, 06:43 AM
first post and first quad. i have been riding dirt bikes (mostly 2stroke) since i was 4 and now and deciding to leave the bikes and try quads. there is no way i will consider a 4x4 yet as i still need to be able to wheelie and jump. i have been on the 400ex and that is what i am looking at buying.

looking at a used 99-2002 range depending on price and shape. so my question is are these years all basically the same, is there one to stay away from and most importantly i would like to start a checklist for things to check when buying a used sport quad. I am mechanically inclined and have been in the atv seen for years just wondering about sport quads and things to look for.

This looks like a great forum and look forward to your reponse(s)

lil400exman
05-02-2003, 06:49 AM
well just like dirtbikes you can tell the quads condtion by looking at it. You should be able to tell if the machine was raggedon by how bad/good it looks. Usually many aftermarket parts say this quads was ridden hard cause the oem couldnt hold up. Thigs too also look for on 400ex's particualry is this:Cracked frames! look near the front shock mounts the engine mounts and the frame bottom rails. Also a painted or powdercoated frame usually tells this: the frame has been cracked its trying to be covred up. So just tkae that into consideration. Hope i helped!:) trust me you will be addicted here!

Mr. Tuesday
05-02-2003, 06:55 AM
good stuff keep her coming.

again not trying to sound newbie here just looking for quad info. i have been through 12 bikes and 5 sleds, some modded some stock so any info no matter how small or technical is appreciated.

trueblue450
05-02-2003, 07:38 AM
the 400s are the same frame and everything through the years your looking at. 99-02. What he said, anything that looks bad probably means its been ridden hard. Check the airbox when you buy, if they keep it clean then they probably keep up on the maintence. Lift the quad up and look at the underbelly. Big dents and whatnot arent a good thing.! Push on the shocks to make sure theres some rebound and they aren't blown...

You know the usual. Just dirve it around and make sure everything feels right.

Mr. Tuesday
05-03-2003, 12:43 PM
ttt

honda400exrider
05-03-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Tuesday
ttt

:huh :huh :huh :huh :huh

Glow Plug
05-03-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by honda400exrider
:huh :huh :huh :huh :huh

ttttt aka bump

NTPracing22
05-03-2003, 01:22 PM
run it threw all the gears...don't be affriad to get on it and see how it runs wide open..stear left and right fast to see if it feels loose, check the breaks, if you have any doubts...theres plenty more 400's out there

Mr. Tuesday
05-04-2003, 07:02 AM
sounds like the basics.

does anyone know what stock compression is and what a sign of excessive use is. or better yet is it possible to check as i hear even changing the spark plug is a pain the *****.

130 lbs compression stock? 110 lbs time for a new top end job?

how do the tranies hold up? anyone breaking gears? the old xr's used to go through them all the time. this is a de-tuned xr 400 engine is it not.

how about swing arm bearings and linkage wear, i would think this would be a high maintence area do to the weight and abuse it would take?

what the average life span on a chain and sprocket, under "normal" riding conditions?

are there some common weak spots, one the tends to get damaged.

what is average rebuild time?

what about chain derailing and piling up, this common?

lets hear about problems encountered, or things to expect.

is there a reverse kit for this engine set up? aftermarket even?

as you can see i used to 2 strokes but some of this may overlap.

Stevie-D
05-04-2003, 12:49 PM
is there a reverse kit for this engine set up? aftermarket even?
naw. it is possible and has been done, but you might as well just buy a quad with reverse. its really expensive to mod the tranny. just stick to usin your feet, just like a bike

SGA
05-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Welcome to the site! It all ties together, quads and dirtbikes, and you seem to know your stuff. The 400ex is probably one of the most bullet proof quads made, and there are very few problems with them. Just check everything as you would on a dirtbike, brakes, engine, upkeep, etc. Good luck on finding one.

Mr. Tuesday
05-05-2003, 08:30 AM
well this looks likes good news as little news means good news. bullet proof is nice to hear.

thanks again.

marksuttonjr
05-15-2003, 05:47 AM
. there is no way i will consider a 4x4 yet as i still need to be able to wheelie and jump(s)

Up until I lost vision in my left eye I could hang with most 400 EX riders on my Rancher. I can ride wheelies up to around 1/8 mile on it anytime I want. It takes jumps prety good also not as good as a sport, but ok. I also do a lot of work with tjis quad. My point for this post is that you are eliminating 4X4 quads for the wrong reason. The only draw back I saw to riding a utility like it was a sport was that it makes you very sore and thats why I purchased my R.

Since you are already used to 2 stroke I would highly reccomend finding an R instead of the 400. I've ridden almost every sport quad on the market in the last year and in my openion the R is the way to go however the 400 would be my 2nd choice.

monkeyboy
05-15-2003, 05:50 AM
git uself a tecotty cuz day is reeely fass:cool:

Derek
05-15-2003, 06:15 AM
ttt

ttt= to the top