PDA

View Full Version : What do I need?

6t8amxetc
05-02-2003, 05:46 AM
Hey, I just picked up a bone stock 01 400EX. I will only be riding it in the sand mostly in Coos Bay Oregon.
What would be the first things to do to get it ready?
Here's a list I was planning on. Just not sure which things are the most important. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks....Ty
7 paddle Haulers,
Front sprocket (size?),
White Bros. E series,
K&N & outerwear,
Jetting,
Rev box (brand & what RPM levels?)

airheadedduner
05-02-2003, 05:56 AM
Leave the sprokets the same and don't worry about a new rev limiter. Every thing else should do you fine. In fact, instead of sprokets and a rev limiter buy some front sand tires.

6t8amxetc
05-02-2003, 06:00 AM
Cool, thanks. I've been wondering about the rev limiters. I'd rather make more power than just run it higher, risking longevity.
So the fronts are definitely a high priority?

Str8Wicked
05-02-2003, 06:15 AM
Yeah don't buy a rev limiter.

Buy a front sprocket with 1 less than stock... 13Tootch I believe. It will help on hills and in the dunes you are mostly in low to mid range power all the time so this will help you there.

Than remove the air box lid for sure or buy an open aluminum airbox if you don't mind spending some money. You'll have no need for the box lid in the sand and it'll improve the bike a lot....

Take off the parking brake assebly and buy an parking brake block off. You than can buy a new clutch lever without all the shizznit on it if you want... THats up to you thou.. I ran mine for a few months with the stock clutch and perch with none of it hooked up to the parking brake.

I run a slip on right now but am thinking of buying a full exhaust since I plan on doing some engine work soon.

Str8Wicked
05-02-2003, 06:17 AM
Oh yeah and if your gonna be doing all dune riding than bling bling that shizznit... You know how we do it in the dunes...

twisted threads
05-02-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
Leave the sprokets the same and don't worry about a new rev limiter. Every thing else should do you fine. In fact, instead of sprokets and a rev limiter buy some front sand tires.
Your list sounds good but I would agree that stock gearing for Coos Bay works fine.:cool:

6t8amxetc
05-02-2003, 06:34 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I guess it's time to start shopping!

Bretmd94
05-02-2003, 06:37 AM
Im going to have to dissagree on the rev limiter in the Oregon Dunes. Before i put one on my 400ex i was hitting the rev limiter all day. My 400ex is stock becides the rev limiter and STU paddla brats. I ride at Coos Bay almost every other weekend. Try it and see if you hit the rev limiter a lot. Those extra revs are nice in sand. Its useless in the dirt unless you have a really built motor though.

The stock sprocket is perfect for the Oregon Dunes also. When im out there the gearing couldnt get much better.

You dont need front sand tires. You dont even need paddles. I blew one off the rim last weekend and put my stock tires on. I made it up every hill just fine. The front stock tires do jsut fine for Oregon Dunes. Oregon Dunes have a lot more corse sand than other places. I prefer soft, light paddles. But hualers work okay.

On rev box i have the white bros one that everyone hates. I dont have any trouble starting it. But try to find a stock one thats modified. In the sand you use the high rpm's all the time. It doesnt really matter where your peak hp is if the tires arent spinning fast enough to get you up the hill.

Str8Wicked
05-02-2003, 06:56 AM
The 13T sprocket I threw on made a huge difference in Glamis.. But you guys know Oregon better than me so If they say you don't need the sprocket than fucc it....

The front tires you won't need. I have em but because they look mean and do help turning a bit. Rear tires I would say are worth the money. Ecspecially because the weight you lose going with a douglas rim compared to stock. If you don't run rears than just go ahead and drop the PSi down to about 1-3 lbs.. that's what we do in Glamis

Glamis400ex
05-02-2003, 12:53 PM
a 13T up front...holy smokes, little low doncha think? You meant 14 right?

Glamis

F-16Guy
05-02-2003, 03:09 PM
I think a 14T up front helps a lot, I could pull third up all of the larger dunes at Dumont, had to hit second with the 15T. The sand in Oregon is much more packed and damp, though, so I'd say 15T. Find a modified stock CDI, otherwise you'll have starting problems later when you do some engine mods (piston/cam). If I could do it again, I'd buy mohawks for the front; the razorbacks are just a little too much (but you can do some amazing side-hilling with them).

JOEX
05-02-2003, 03:23 PM
Another thing, if you're going to be riding at night think about some aftermarket head lights.
TrailTech or LazerStar

Joe

airheadedduner
05-03-2003, 12:24 PM
The reason I say no aftermarket rev limiter right now is cold starting issues and with only an aftermarket pipe and filter it don't really need it. From what I have understood is that most aftermarket rev limiters are acutlly modded XR250 CDI's. And because of that it causes cold starting problems and over here even during the summer we get this heavy mist in the morning. The aftermarket rev limiters don't like it and sometimes we can't get the bike to even run till the fog clears. MY buddie has a WB on his, he quickly swapped back to stock and there have been no troble since. If you want more revs a better alternitive is to send the stock box to Powroll and have them mod it. Plus I think front sand tires would be a better investment.