PDA

View Full Version : blowing fuses

norrisboat
05-01-2003, 06:50 PM
Ok heres the problem:

I put a new 15a fuse and i ride around a little bit. It works fine. Every once in awhile the fuse will blow and I will have to pop another one in it to start it.

Ive browsed over the electrical wiring to make sure nothing is exposed and rubbing against the frame. I cant find anything.

Anybody have any ideas. Is this a common problem with one of the systems that I havent heard about. hmmmm. Thanks.

jay's 300
05-02-2003, 05:20 AM
What kind of quad? I have a 15A in mine, but my friend has a 30A in his for some reason. Have you messed w/ anything recently? :D

norrisboat
05-02-2003, 06:07 AM
I have a 400. No, I havent messed with anything electrical lately. In fact ive never touched the electrical system yet. Well, ok, now that Im thinkin. I did try to take my light assembly off my front plastic, but that was beginning to be such a pain in the butt....... so I gave up on it. The only thing I disconnected was one wire and that was it. I put it back with no problems. hmmmm.

trueblue450
05-02-2003, 06:27 AM
something is exposed somewhere. Blowing a fuse sucks. mine did it all the time, but I had a wire for the headlight hitting metal everyonce in awhile.

Just check everything electrical.

400exbiggun
05-02-2003, 07:02 AM
i have the same exact question posted in Maintenance, but got no answers, the 15amp blew everythime i turned it on, so i put a 20a in and it would last for a day, then i got mad and put a 30amp in and now it lasted for 2 weeks, starts fine etc... is this the fuse right next to the battery? that is where mine is.

norrisboat
05-02-2003, 07:28 AM
dude, 400exbiggun. There is a reason for the 15 amp fuse. replace that 30 with a 15 even if it blows everytime you turn it off. You are risking further electrical damage if you dont. If you let too much current flow through your electrical system you wind up risking fire or burning up your stator($300), starter($), battery($60) and other intricate electrical parts on your quad. Im actually suprised you havent had a fire since you put a 30amp fuse in it.

Has anybody else had the fuse blowing problem and what part of the quad might be causing it? Thanks

400exbiggun
05-02-2003, 07:35 AM
wow, never thought about that.:(

400exbiggun
05-02-2003, 07:42 AM
well, then i guess i'll have an answer soon for you, i am taking my ex to the dealer most likely on monday.

norrisboat
05-02-2003, 08:00 AM
cool bro..... tell me what he finds please. For know Im going to look over my wiring again and continue throwing in 15 amp fuses everytime I turn it off. That reminds me, I have to go to autozone now to go pick up all their 15amp fuses in stock.

jchevy
05-02-2003, 03:07 PM
There is a short in the wiring harness to either the high beam or the low beam headlight cant remeber which one. Had the same problem, took it to the dealer and the guy knew exactly what i was talking it about, somthing was messed up at the factory. Mine is a 2002, im guessing yours is the same year?

F-16Guy
05-02-2003, 03:15 PM
Yup, short in the lighting harness. My buddy had the same problem with his. Start your bike with a new 15A fuse, lights off. Now turn your lights on low beam, and then go to high beam. I'll bet it pops with the lights on. Good call on the fuses, norrisboat.

QuadJunkies
05-02-2003, 05:01 PM
We went through the same thing with the mini quad.. turned out it had a bad wire harness. once we started following all the wiring... we found the whole thing was shot ,so we started ffom scratch and now it works fine.....:D I let you will find it in the harness somewhere;)

norrisboat
05-02-2003, 08:23 PM
Jchevy that sounds like the problem. Cause when the fuse is blown my lights will turn on at high beam but when you switch to low beam the lights turn off. That makes a lot of sense right there. Im suprised that it is in the wiring harness though. Mine is an 2002 also. Thanks bro. Ill have to check that out.