PDA

View Full Version : red hot pipes???

jgbailey57
05-01-2003, 04:36 PM
I posted earlier this week about an engine noise and decided to take the head cover off to check the timing chain. The chain adjuster is almost all the way out so I'm definately in need of a new timing chain. When I checked the timing the cam was rotated counterclockwise a little because of the stretched chain. The rockers and cam didn't show much wear, and the chain still has tension so I don't think the chain is making the knocking noise. I put it back together and it was really hard to start and when it finally did the noise was still there. The valves are adjusted correctly. I let it run at about 2000 rpms or so and it has a definate miss. I wanted to warm the engine up to see if the knock would go away, it didn't. I looked at the pipes and they were red hot for about 3 inches from the head. What could cause this? I only held it at 2000 for about 30 seconds or so, the bike wasn't running for more than 2 minutes probably. It started right up when I tried to start it again.

Pappy
05-01-2003, 04:40 PM
possibly a lean condition:confused: was this at night ...ive seen properly jetted machines exhibit that same action before...whats the plug look like?

nakomis0
05-01-2003, 05:13 PM
I had the same thing happen to me after about 30 seconds.

It was way lean because I took me exhaust disks off.

jgbailey57
05-02-2003, 03:23 AM
Plug is black. The kid took the baffles out of the silencer, will that cause problems? I have no idea if it was rejetted after this was done.

TRX250XFIRE
05-02-2003, 07:00 AM
I just put in a hotcam stage 2 in my 400 and it does the same thing, it had bigger jets in it because of my pipe but it seems like it is running lean. Do u think that with the hotcam it is making it burn faster, causing it to lean out?? Thanks
~Cody

Dustin178
05-03-2003, 04:33 PM
hey man changer yer jets up a lil sounds a lil lean but the glowing pipes dont worry bout that that is normal for any aftermarket pipe no matter wat u got it will happen. cuz a friend of mine has a wb e series exhaust and his did that and he called in and they had said it is normal for any after market exhaust. my other friend got a dmc alien and his did it so i wouldnt worry bout it its a normal thing but the knockin noise i would turn up yer main jet a lil and pull the needle out a notch to make it run a lil more richer it is better to run it richer then to lean start at bout 160 and go down till u think it is right and if the noise keeps happenin check yer head and if u have an aftermarket piston with a bigger dome on it check to make sure it isnt hittin the head of the motor. good luck