PDA

View Full Version : nerf bars worth the money?

steve7467
05-01-2003, 03:06 PM
i have been considering nerf bars for my quad. those arns ones that are on sale for 150 bones seem like a pretty good deal. how heavy are they? and also ive never had a problem with my feet slipping off the foot pegs. hmmm maybe i just need to jump higher.

quader400
05-01-2003, 03:37 PM
well worth it. ya never know when you foot will slip of and when it does it probably wont be pretty if your jumping big. i would get ac nerfs if i was you they look the coolest in my opion or get the propegs

White_Knuckles
05-01-2003, 04:33 PM
They're not really for the foot slipping thing. They are to prevent a wheel from another quad from getting in between your wheels resulting in a crash. They are required on race tracks as a safety item. Get 'em if you ride in a pack of quads or think they look cool.

Pappy
05-01-2003, 04:38 PM
you are correct on the purpose of what nerfs are truly intended for. but id say my legs have been saved numerous times thanks to my nerfs:macho

get a set now!!! THATS AN ORDER:scary:

vortex
05-01-2003, 05:08 PM
they are worth it , they have saved my legs many times , look around for the best price on them , rockymountianatv.com or i think you can get them from the store on this site , email them for a price it might be cheaper to get them here , plus its helps support the site :)

oynot400
05-02-2003, 03:12 AM
Well worth the money. However don't go super cheap on them. I have a buddy that got a "deal" on a set. I think they were DG pro pegs, I am not 100% sure though. Anyway, these things suck big time. They hang too low, they were impossibe to tighten up to the frame, the foot pegs were too wide and they looked like crap. I have AC pro pegs on my 463, I would not give them up for nothing. My Gas Gas came with nerfs, they are real close to the AC's. The ones that Arens has look nice and they have a real good price also! Go for it! :devil

Silverfox@C&DRacing
05-02-2003, 03:29 AM
I just switched to propegs and I would have to say they are way better than regular nerfs..

timewass
05-02-2003, 05:13 AM
I love my AC Pro Pegs. I'll never own another quad without them. They have saved my ***** too many times.

Str8Wicked
05-02-2003, 05:19 AM
I count my toes every time after I ride and am glad they are still intact.... I've slipped a few times before and they have saved my leg.... Also I have hit stuff on trails, like branches, etc. that would usually have hit my leg and at the speed I was going I'm sure it would have hurt a bit, they blocked it and saved me once more...

motoboy66
05-02-2003, 05:25 AM
Or the times when you are sliding in the woods, I can't immagine how many times my nerfs have kept me from hooking trees. This not only saves your @#$, but it might save a bent axle.

Todd

Oh I got Gradon nerfs.

sly400ex
05-02-2003, 06:40 AM
big YES, get em'.....them Aren's look nice too. I've never raced once in my life, but the nerfs have saved me numerous times!!!!

KASCHAK
05-02-2003, 01:44 PM
and there great i wish i could afford them for my quad to much stuff i want and no money. there good to relax on to if you have cut fenders and your on a uke road like a big dirt road thats almost paved 3rd gear and just chill. any way ya get them there cool looking and they save you alot.:p

CHAUNCY
05-02-2003, 01:46 PM
I really like mine. I think they are great to have:D

nacs400ex
05-02-2003, 02:18 PM
Everyone pretty much summed it up. I wouldnt ride without nerfs. I got AC pro pegs, and they are amazing. I like the ARENS, but they are standard not pro peg. This is why I didnt purchase them.

JD400exrider
05-02-2003, 02:43 PM
Now you got me thinking on the nerf bars. I was not going to buy them because sometimes it is nice to put the feet down and backup a little. I don't do allot of jumping so i though they were not neccessary. It sounds they could help in many other ways along with saving my @ss I think I will need to get some.
The advantage of the propegs over the arens bros. is the wider peg and the polished heal guards. Is that it ? From what I have read the propegs wear out to quick.

wgbanks
05-03-2003, 05:39 AM
I'm with you on the not being able to put a foot down to back up. That's what has keep me from buying a set also. Although there were 2 instances last month while @ Windrock that had I had a set on my bike my arse would have been able to maintain continutity with my seat and I'd been able to drink the water I had brought and not used it to wash the mud out of my eye. Bottom line now is get a set if there is even a remote possibility the you might hang a rear wheel on tree or rock when at speed. My back is still sore but the eye has cleared up. Just some thoughts.

sportraxrider10
05-03-2003, 06:22 AM
nerf bars are definitly worth all the money. i can't count how many times i was going between two trees and instaid of my back tires catching, my nerf bars just slide right between them. they are also comfy when you are just cruzing you can just put your feet out and relax.:blah

bmw500hp
05-03-2003, 09:00 AM
This thread is touching on a like/dislike of the new Arens Nerfs...They look much like Graydon's. Has anybody tried em yet?

If you like an integrated peg or pro-peg design, AC's are great. If you like bolting to the existing peg, Graydons or maybe the new Arens would be a good choice.

JD400exrider
05-03-2003, 01:07 PM
I dont seem to have a problem with the stock pegs. I have the peg kick up extenders on them and those are a little getting used to. Are the pro peg nerf pegs any longer in length than stock or are they just a little wider. If they are the same length i think I am going to go with the Arens nerfs.
Are arens nerfs going to sit low. I hate the ones that look like there bent down. I think those are the DG ones though.

Has anyone bought a pair or Arens nerfs. If so how are they?

quadfamily
05-03-2003, 03:05 PM
I just put a set on my 300EX this afternoon. I bought a used set of old style DG's I went this route because I don't like how the new style has the buckle things that hold the webbing on. I think they look too sloppy with the ends of the webs hanging down. Mine have loops at the ends of each web that hold them onto the bars. Anyway, I bought them for what I think was a good price, bought new webbing, polished the aluminum bars, painted the brackets to match my frame and finally bolted them on today after having them fro around a year! I also modified my stock heel guards so that I can use them with the nerfs. I think they look pretty good and give me a little more protection. I was thinking of making new heel guards out of aluminum diamondplate from Lowes. I'll try to take pictures tomorrow if I have time.

QuadTrix6
05-04-2003, 05:25 AM
i went riding yesterday and they saved more times than i can count get em, youll appreciate it when you start riding real hard and doing good size jumps, everyone messes up now and than

Braff1
05-04-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
you are correct on the purpose of what nerfs are truly intended for. but id say my legs have been saved numerous times thanks to my nerfs:macho

get a set now!!! THATS AN ORDER:scary:

I agree with pappy. After running over my foot 3 times while jumping (the 3rd time really roughed me up) I figured it was time to get them while I still didn't have any pins in my ankle. The first time you slide off the peg and your foot lands in the net you will be glad you had them.