PDA

View Full Version : How many people actually give blood???

250x#93
05-01-2003, 02:37 PM
Boy this was my first time giving blood, it sure was weird. I felt fine right after they took it but a half an hour later I was nuts:p Boy I was going crazy, HAHA How many of u guys gave blood before, I know it doesn't affect a lot of people but it made me dizzy and weird feelin all day though, It feels pretty cool though, I also got out of running in gym class so thats a plus. Lots of food to eat too. I gave it at the tech school I go to and they fed us all kinds of stuff:devil I guess I'm ramblin on but I just though it was pretty cool, plus if u give blood you can save 3-4 lives which is pretty sweet:D I know most people think that given blood is stupid but just think of all the lives saved because of it. Plus who knows maybe you guys will need some of my blood after a nasty crash, I bet alot of us would sure appreciate it then, Anyhow hope alot of you give blood and if not go try it out.:macho If u can jump 40 foot doubles i'm sure a little needle won't hurt ya:cool:

killed300ex
05-01-2003, 02:51 PM
i do it once a year when they come to my school
killed

400grl
05-01-2003, 03:00 PM
I do! Sometimes.....and I'm an organ donor. When I go, anything that's useable, they can give to someone else!;) Maybe I can save a few lives that way.....:)

BlazingYamahaYz
05-01-2003, 03:00 PM
i dont give blood...i personally hate needles......my mom donates blood, i dont know how she does it...shes keeps getting mugs with "1 Gallon Donor" on them:eek2:

batgeek
05-01-2003, 03:06 PM
good on ya for giving blood!

i give as often as possible. sometimes i get a little woozy after, but that happens when ya loose 1/5 of the blood in yer body :) just eat, rest...you'll be all good.

for a cheap buzz, go drink some beer after giving blood...takes about half of what ya usually drink before yer sh*tfaced :D

Nausty
05-01-2003, 03:15 PM
I would give blood but i'm not old enough yet. lol, I figure one of these days i'm gonna need some of it so I should pry give some too.

05-01-2003, 03:18 PM
i hatte when they try to find my veins

CHAUNCY
05-01-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
i hatte when they try to find my veins

Yeah, it takes them like 3 to 4 tries to find my veins.:rolleyes: I will probably give blood when I am old enough

Shellz
05-01-2003, 03:21 PM
I give blood twice a year. the first time i gave though it took aobut an hour and a half!! my blood kept stoping to flow so they had to keep pushing the needle in more:ermm: but ever since then its been really fast and easy!! So keep doing it!!

blondie69
05-01-2003, 03:34 PM
i would give blood but
1. not old enuf
2. i dunno if i'm in the weigh restrictions....i think here it might be 110...i can't remember....or maybe its 100...well...i'll probably qualify

big-guy
05-01-2003, 04:25 PM
I used to give blood, before I found out that they SELL it to the hospitals. Man, I made that stuff myself, I give it to you, then you turn around and sell it? That's about the most intimate thing I can give, and somebody expects to turn a profit on it? Sheesh.

Some places will PAY you to "donate" plasma. Like $50 for 2 donations.

don't get me wrong, giving blood is a very noble thing, but making money on someon else's body, that's just wrong.

Woodsrider
05-01-2003, 04:57 PM
I give blood three times a year. I work two blocks from the blood center. I just got my two gallon pin at the last donation. I do it for the headrush:D J/K I feel really good the next day after giving blood And my body makes new blood to replace the old stuff it lost. I think the best time to give blood for me is when I feel like I am coming down with a cold. It stops a cold dead in its tracks.;)

400grl; If you ever need an organ donated, Im there!LOL Grrrrrrrr baby:D :D J/P

250x#93
05-02-2003, 12:05 AM
I used to give blood, before I found out that they SELL it to the hospitals.

Yeah but just think of all the tests it has to go through and all the new needles and equipment that they have to pay for to take the blood. Plus I'm guessin what they test it wit isn't cheap. Oh well I just figure if I can help some people live, I might as well;)

400grl
05-02-2003, 04:49 AM
Soggyrider....LOL!!!! ;)

Just wondering - has anyone donated bone marrow? I know they pay pretty good for that because it's painful and not alot of people do it.....but I think someday I would like to. Just because it helps so many kiddos with cancer, etc.....that would be cool to do. Just wondering if anyone has ever done it....

spincr4hire
05-02-2003, 05:03 AM
I donate my organ as well...:eek:
No really, I am an organ/tissue donor. Ain't no need for those parts when your 6 feet under.

MXcutie
05-02-2003, 05:03 AM
I would give blood but they took blood out of me about a year ago to do tests on and my blood sugar drops so fast taht i pass out so they pretty much told me that i can never give blood... i kinda wish i could... my brother gave blood on wed at schoo and they sent him home b/c he passed out b/c he has the same thing as me

cudaman
05-02-2003, 06:47 AM
im not trying to turn this dirty. but dont they pay for sperm donations too. where can you go and do this? i wouldnt mind makin a couple bucks from doing that.

400grl
05-02-2003, 06:52 AM
lol! You pervs! Figures that even an organ donation post would go the wrong way!!! :p

Guy400
05-02-2003, 07:45 AM
Kudos to those that give blood. I respect you guys (and gals) for doing it. I'm an organ donor but don't give blood. Me and needles do not get along at all. I had to have blood taken twice, once before my knee surgery and then once when my wife and I signed up for life insurance plans. Both times I nearly passed out. This last time I felt the needle prick me and I instantly started to sweat. She drew the blood and told me I was all done and when I stood up my peripheral vision began to diminish. Next thing you know I could only see about a one foot circle directly in front of me and I began to get real light headed. The nurse must've known something was up because the next thing I know she's asking me if I'm alright and has me lay down immediately. They put a cold wash cloth on my head and made me drink orange juice. That was 3 years ago and I haven't felt the sting of a needle since. I'm getting woozy just telling the story:confused2

Jeffksf
05-02-2003, 08:25 AM
I have given a few times, no problems for me. My Dad gives plenty, I forget how many gallons he is workin on. I wish it would go a little quicker, I'm so busy I sometimes find it hard to make the time. But I will probably give this Sun. at a local church from 9-Noon, pretty conveinent for me.

buckeye400ex
05-02-2003, 08:57 AM
I give blood every 8 weeks. The incentive is my employer gives me 4 hrs off for every succesful donation, but it's also nice knowing you are helping out. I have given over 5 gallons over the years. Since July of 2000 I have given 16 pints!!

Me and my buddy always raced. He left the company for another job and still holds the record for a pint in 4 mins and 16 seconds. My last donation I was really close at 4 mins 32 seconds. It's actually a race for the nurses, because if you have adequate veins it's more about how well they stick ya. A good nurse, good vein, under 4 minutes, here I come!!

Most of the people I see having problems are mental, they get scared turn gray and almost pass out. Once you get your confidence up to give it's a breeze!!

Tommy 17
05-02-2003, 09:02 AM
a girl at our school was like 115lbs... she gave blood and then as she was walkin she passed out and smashed her face off a chair and broke her nose:(

i wanted to give it but i wasn't old enouf... u have to be 18 to give it at school...

400grl
05-02-2003, 09:07 AM
Needles don't bother me - it's actually cool to watch it go in and see if I can avoid getting squeamish. Fortunately I couldn't see the big fat ol' needle they stuck in between my vertbrae when I got my two epidurals.......I think that would have made me sick! I have good veins, too - that probably helps make it easier.

lex luger
05-02-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by 250x#93
I guess I'm ramblin on but I just though it was pretty cool, plus if u give blood you can save 3-4 lives which is pretty sweet:D I know most people think that given blood is stupid but just think of all the lives saved because of it.

porkin' hippie:rolleyes:

haha just kidding...sorta....

Got Huevos?
05-02-2003, 01:27 PM
I have given blood before....

for my football physical:blah and as the blood was coming out i got dizzy and almost passed out. and i could never be an organ donor either i just think its kinda dis respectful to your body and soul after ur dead ur letting someone cut u up and take away pieces of your body.

QuadTrix6
05-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by BlazingYamahaYz
i dont give blood...i personally hate needles..

i felt the same way, but after 9-11 i sucked it up and gave blood, it took me like under 2 minutes and the nurse was shocked how fast it came out of me :eek: after i got up i almost passed out i had to lay in a stretcher with my feet up for like 20 minuted it was so embarrasing cause i was in the middle of the room and everyone was looking at me :o but i new that my blood type was much needed cause my blood type is universal donor..so it was well worth it

cheetah
05-02-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
I donate my organ as well...:eek:
No really, I am an organ/tissue donor. Ain't no need for those parts when your 6 feet under.

You do realize that you can't be dead when they take the organs? My mom used to be a donor, but when she went to coroner school they told her that in order to use the organs, they had to get them while they was still alive. So if something goes wrong and you are in a hospital with a like an under 50% chance of pulling through, they go ahead and start grabbing as many organs as they can because they know they can save more lives with the parts they take out of you than if they saved you. After hearing that my mom is no longer an organ donor. I think it's a great thing to do and you have my respect, but I won't do it because I want every chance possible to try and pull through and if you donated organs they are gonna take all they can and pull the plug on you before you have a chance to try and pull through.

Woodsrider
05-02-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by cheetah
You do realize that you can't be dead when they take the organs? My mom used to be a donor, but when she went to coroner school they told her that in order to use the organs, they had to get them while they was still alive. So if something goes wrong and you are in a hospital with a like an under 50% chance of pulling through, they go ahead and start grabbing as many organs as they can because they know they can save more lives with the parts they take out of you than if they saved you. After hearing that my mom is no longer an organ donor. I think it's a great thing to do and you have my respect, but I won't do it because I want every chance possible to try and pull through and if you donated organs they are gonna take all they can and pull the plug on you before you have a chance to try and pull through.

That isnt exactly the truth:rolleyes: The harvested organs just have to taken in a givin period after the death. If what you said were true than organ harvesters would be guilty of murder in every case where an organ was harvested to save another life.
I have a child who may some day need a donor heart, and our family deals daily with people in the same boat as us. Organs are NEVER,EVER harvested from a living being. get your facts straight or STFU:grr

250x#93
05-03-2003, 04:05 PM
Yeah I'm and organ donor too. I can't wait till I have given a gallon that will be cool:devil

bongwater200
05-03-2003, 04:17 PM
NOt to tell people that you shouldn't donate blood, but here's a little food for thought.

Yes..... you are probably saving a life or two by donating blood, but is that life worth saving? Suppose, some dickweed breaks into my house, tries to harm my spouse, and figures out the hard way that my 2nd best friend in the world is my .45 auto. Would I want any of MY donated blood to help this loser survive? NO

On the other hand, if a friend or family member ever needed blood, I'd be the first one with a needle in my arm to give it to them. I'd let them suck it out of me until I flat passed out.

Every day, YOUR donated blood goes to save the lives of rapists, murderers, child molesters, etc. who spent their lives making victims out of the very people who are keeping them alive.

Just something to think about.

250x#93
05-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Yeah but I think guess u have a point but if it wasn't for givin blood a lot of innocent people would die too. I don't think its right to not give blood just cuz its savin a few criminals:ermm:

Woodsrider
05-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by bongwater200
NOt to tell people that you shouldn't donate blood, but here's a little food for thought.

Every day, YOUR donated blood goes to save the lives of rapists, murderers, child molesters, etc. who spent their lives making victims out of the very people who are keeping them alive.

Just something to think about.

Unfortunatly there are probably a small number of times this could possibly be true. But then evert time I get on an airplane, there is a small chance it will fall from the sky too. But I still fly.

RuffRyder400ex
05-04-2003, 04:29 AM
i dont know if i am old enough but i wouldnt donate blood cuz i hate needles. but my mom donates blood.

bongwater200
05-04-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by soggyrider
Unfortunatly there are probably a small number of times this could possibly be true. But then evert time I get on an airplane, there is a small chance it will fall from the sky too. But I still fly.

Hey.... I would hate to deprive good people of the help too, but if you talk to any ER technicians that work night-time hours, they'll be glad to tell you the ratio of people who deserve to live vs. people who deserve just as much to be left to die!

Sure..... if some decent, hard working, productive member of society would need blood, I would be happy to help. But as for giving one more ten-thousandth of MY life to save some rapist, pedofile, serial killer, or gang-banger........ sorry, they be **** outta luck!