PDA

View Full Version : pilot jet help

cals400ex
05-01-2003, 11:39 AM
i have a 400ex and i put a 42 pilot jet in. the bike did not start any easier. i wasn't sure what the deal was. then i put a 45 in. not much luck there either. for starters, the new pilots are longer than the factory 38 is. when skrewing the pilot in place it would go in fine then you could feel some slight resistance and about 3/4 of a turn later you could no longer turn the pilot jet(it is all the way in). well i was turning the pilot jet all the way in. i noticed after a while that you just need to turn it in untill you feel slight resistance. is this how you guys do it? or do you put it all the way tight? my plug was black and it would miss under very very light throttle. think i should try a 40? by the way my bike has not airbox lid, gutted factory pipe and the choke removed. thanks

timewass
05-01-2003, 02:55 PM
THe longer pilot is normal. I just tighten my jets until they stop, that's it. They are just brass and will strip and break very easily. I put a 42 in mine and it starts a little easier when it's cold, but I can't see a difference in the warmer weather.

cals400ex
05-01-2003, 04:48 PM
did anyone notice that the bike is running rich? i just put in a dpr9z plug so maybe thats my problem. with the 42 in and that plug, my plug is black. it stumbles on really low throttle and even died on me once. i think it is too rich by the plug and how the bike is acting. maybe i will try a 40 and go from there.

powerslider
05-02-2003, 11:03 AM
Adjust the fuel screw, I run a 42 with stock everything, it runs great...

cals400ex
05-03-2003, 12:06 PM
the air skrew is at 2.5 turns out.

powerslider
05-03-2003, 01:21 PM
turn the screw in if you need to lean it out, I run mine at 2 turns