PDA

View Full Version : Gator Grip?

max400EX
12-26-2001, 08:41 PM
I'm sick of changing sockets all the time when i'm working on my quad. Has anyone had experience with a Gator Grip socket? It has spring loaded pins that adjust to the nut. What are the pro's and con's?

Juggalo
12-26-2001, 11:06 PM
they look sweet and i want one. but they don't look very sturdy to me..but who knows maybe their just as strong as a normal socket.

12-28-2001, 12:16 PM
I heard they work

300eXTraILRyDeR
12-28-2001, 01:27 PM
no no no i have one well it works ok untill the little pins bend and break out.

MikeL250X
01-04-2002, 01:34 PM
All those "does everything" tools tend to not be able to handle alot of torque, so for small jobs use them, but don't try and tighten your lug nuts with them :D

phatswinn
01-04-2002, 04:07 PM
[COLOR=orangered]i just bought one for my ma's boyfriend and they work just OK there good till ya work on something you need alot of torque for ... if i were you i would just stick with the changing of sockets.. i just take 9mm-19mm and settem up rite by where im sitting or on a tray next to me ,that way ya dont hafta get up every time ya need another one and if you have one of those socket renches with the release button it makes it 10 times easer
hope i helped[\COLOR]

Juggalo
01-11-2002, 10:16 PM
i saw a commercial for them and i think it said on there it can handle up to 150 foot pounds of torque

yellowrider
01-14-2002, 05:39 PM
we have the gator grip i have never used it on my 300ex though but it may not be a good idea when we was putting my weight bench together couple of days after christmas they bought me the gator so i didnt have to look for tools and stuff i am not to good at it. but it seems like it would strip the screw if you are not careful.d other thatn that it worked fine.

Leo
01-14-2002, 07:31 PM
I got one as a gift...

I'll just say they don't handle impact tools well... ;)

I'd never use it on a nut/bolt.. why round off a perfectly good fastener..?

Leo

400exRacerX
01-14-2002, 08:02 PM
Yeah I only use 6 point sockets on all of my bolts, and would never use one of those "does everything " tool. Speaking of impact guns, I was using one last night taking the lugs off a car and shattered a 19mm snap on socket, it got me pissed but they are garenteed for life so I will have to bring it back to snap on.

4punksdad
01-20-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by 400exRacerX
Yeah I only use 6 point sockets on all of my bolts, and would never use one of those "does everything " tool. Speaking of impact guns, I was using one last night taking the lugs off a car and shattered a 19mm snap on socket, it got me pissed but they are garenteed for life so I will have to bring it back to snap on.

was it an impact socket? if not, I wouldn't offer that info to the snap on guy.

kc 300EX
01-20-2002, 06:25 PM
the Gator grip has a lifetime warranty ya know. So if you do decide to put it in an impact gun and you blow all the pins out, they replace it for free.

400exRacerX
01-20-2002, 06:33 PM
The impact guns I have at my garage will blow that gator grip into a million pieces in one shot. My dad has 1 inch drive impact guns and the amount of torque they have is insane. And 3punksdad, No I wasn't using a impact socket,,,,,but they don't have to know that;) hehe