PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a powder coating kit!!

400extracc
05-01-2003, 11:01 AM
k guys, i just ordered a powder coating kit from the eastwood company. has anyone ever tryed using it? its was a good price. i have seen some pics. with this producted and the resaults looked nice.
what do you guys think????

i'm going to use if for small parts.

thx:macho

TeamC&GRacer
05-01-2003, 11:10 AM
good luck with it, practice makes perfect! dont get frustrated at first! have fun bro!~

CowsBitePeople
05-01-2003, 04:26 PM
How much was it....My dad wants me to get one....do you have any pics from a site or something you can post??

MaTT....

400extracc
05-01-2003, 04:44 PM
DO A SURCH, "POWDER COATING" AND YOU WILL FIND TUNS. THE ONE I ORDERED WAS FROM EAST WOOD CO. HOWEVER, I HAD TO CALL THEM BACK AND CANCAL IT. I DON'T HAVE A PLACE TO PLUG IN A OLD STOVE. :( :( :(

Pappy
05-01-2003, 04:47 PM
eastwood just gave me one:confused: i dunno why:p

the smaller hobby guns can produce great results. practice and read all you can find on the subject. i started with the kit i bought from cottonwoody here on exriders. its kinda cool using the smaller unit ....just a lil different then my big gun. they even offer a 2 pound powder dispenser for that unit. i think this bar clamp was one of the very first pieces i ever did with the hobby kit. have fun and enjoy:)

300exjuggalo
05-02-2003, 01:47 PM
sweet, i wish i had one

K_Fulk
05-03-2003, 02:05 AM
I bought a gun a couple weeks ago, Thursday i picked up an old oven now i just gotta find some time to play with it, and find out how to use it.

Pappy, do you know how much air pressure your supposed to use on those toy guns? I bought mine used and didn't have any directions.

Pappy
05-03-2003, 02:28 AM
i set my regulator at the compressor at 60 psi and the regulator at the gun inbetween 5 and 10 psi. that seems to work best on small stuff and allows me to control the thickness of the powder on small parts. when you first try out your gun ...just cover the part until no metal shows thru....then basically apply a second coat and that will get you good coverage. as you get used to doin it youll pretty much develop a feel for how much powder to apply for a given part.

if you are using a household oven.....set the temp to 450 after you have hung the part. once the oven reaches 450, turn it back to 425. if you dont have a laser thermometer get one. the idea is to bring the part to 375 to 400 and maintain that range for a time period of 20 to 25 minutes. small low mass parts will cure faster then say an a arm.

its all a big learning game...i sure as heck dont know it all....but ill help you all i can.

K_Fulk
05-03-2003, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the tips, ill have to look into oneof them thermometers.

Split1422
05-04-2003, 10:36 AM
How Much??????

Pappy
05-04-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Split1422
How Much??????
eastwood sells the kit for like 125$ and it comes with 1/2 pound ofgloss black, the delux kit comes with some goodies that are needed but its $199 i think. i recommend the eastwood gun...although im friends with the owner at columbia.....i prefer a bottom feed gun. the top feed had too many problems for me:( ive regulated the pro gun to frames..car rears etc. ive been using the hobby gun for the last week or so.....and its fine except if im doing a part like an a arm in a translucent color...i still prefer the pro gun for that. i did this tank with the hobby gun....so dont think you cant achieve good results with them:D

Rip_Tear
05-04-2003, 11:33 AM
Cool, I definatly want to get into some PC'n when I can afford it. It seems really cool, Good luck guys!

K_Fulk
05-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Is the pro gun easier to clean, to switch powders?
The guy i bought my gun said it doesn't really have enough of a charge to hold the second coat of powder (chicago hobby gun). Or is he just feeding me a line?

Split1422
05-04-2003, 12:07 PM
What else do you need or is that it????

Pappy
05-04-2003, 12:49 PM
i do most of my second coats hot...or very warm:p it has taken me along time and alot of practice to get it just right. its very easy to build up too much powder in an area when working with a hot part. i usually wait 3 to 5 minutes on a medium to large part before applying the second layer. on smaller parts i do them almost as soon as they come from the oven....they cool down very fast. like a throttle housing will be at 375 degrees and within 30 seconds its down to 180 degrees. its hard to fully explain it but maybe you get the idea. you can apply it when the part is too hot ....thats where the laser helps me out.

whats needed?
i guess a small compressor...various hand tools...grinders...wire wheels....a dremel....some paint stripper(for when parts attack:grr) an area to work (this stuff is messy if you dont have some sort of ventilation and or vacum recovery for the powder that doesnt adhear to the part. i mean if you just want to play around its not hard to get into it...or really all that expensive.

the bad part is....when you see what you can do and how the parts look....you kinda get hooked. next thing you know you are a PC addict:scary: