PDA

View Full Version : best campground @ St Anthony's?

Mitch400EX
05-01-2003, 09:55 AM
I'm going to St Anthonys later in the summer:D, and it will be my first time riding there. Anyone have any suggestions on campgrounds? Preferably one that is right next to the dunes so I can just ride from my campsite. Also how hot is it in the summer there?

zilla X
05-05-2003, 04:02 AM
I just got back from St. Anthony 5/2/03. This was my third trip and I just love it! The only camp ground with sewer and showers is Sandhills resort. The only real draw back to Sandhills is that you are about as far away from the big dunes as you can be. This is where we always stay, we've just learned to go stash gas at the BLM campground at the foot of the big dunes in the morning.

The sand this trip was the worst I've ever seen it for climbing. Lots of ruts and really loose towards the tops of the big hills. My modded quadzilla was the only machine in our group this year to climb Chokecherry. Every other time I've went the Banshees, Raptors, and even my buddies 250 Quadracer have made it!

If you are into big air this is the place. Everywhere you go is a jump! Hope you have a great time!

QuadJunkies
05-05-2003, 07:45 PM
When exactly are you headed up? We will be up also..There is a new campground in the works at Lake Egin and its the mid point at the dunes.. sets you right in front of Thunder Mnt. Hopefully they will have the new grounds ready in time for summer, I heard they are having some legal issues over who will gain $$ off the campground:rolleyes: .. are you tent camping, or do you have a camper? If you want to stay more central. I would stay at the Lake..or next to it up front towards the entrance.Zilla, I had a friend go up a few weeks ago too, and he said they had one heck of a time on the sand..One guy was killed that wk end too:( ...Boy your right about BIG air and BIG climbing...... once you try it ......you want to come back every year!:blah Tina........

WyoDuner
05-06-2003, 08:50 AM
Mitch, depending on when you are going and staying you may need to think about reservations if you stay at the Desert Oasis or Sand Dunes Resort. These are the 2 pay campsites. The BLM is currently free and has no reservations - first come first serve. If you are coming Memorial or July 4th everything is all booked up already.

It doesn't get that hot but can get into the 90's (which is pretty hot actually in July/August.

I stay at the resort when I go. It's about 5 miles to the start of the big dunes but it's a fast ride. I carry gas in a 6 pack rack otherwise I can't make it back.

I have some info on my site if you are interested.

I've noticed that this place is getting more and more popular - it seems that way at least. I think it is because of Me and QuadJunkies promoting it so much. :)

Here is the lakes and you can see right in the middle of the picture where the white dots (campers are) is the BLM area. It's not as green as that always - mostly dry and dusty.

WyoDuner
05-06-2003, 08:51 AM
Here' s a part of the Sand DUnes resort:

Trees, grass, electricity, restrooms, etc...

QuadJunkies
05-06-2003, 07:34 PM
Hey Wyo, have you got a good sized bunch headed up with you for the 4th?:)

Natertot426ex
05-07-2003, 04:15 AM
I always stay at Sand Hills Resort. Just be careful and not piss off the owners. It doesn't take much to piss them off. The guy might come with his golf cart with his light on top and his Security uniform and yell at you. Yes I did experiance that a couple times and laughed. IT is kindof funny.

dirtmomma
05-07-2003, 04:36 AM
Hey Mitch where you from in WA???? I seen you have pics of rieter pit!!! I haven't been there yet, but we don't live to far from there, we are just off of HWY2 on the east side of I-5 Lake Stevens area. What the @#$% are you jumping across Hwy2 in that one pic????? If so you are a crazy man!!!!!

QuadJunkies
05-07-2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Natertot426ex
I always stay at Sand Hills Resort. Just be careful and not piss off the owners. It doesn't take much to piss them off. The guy might come with his golf cart with his light on top and his Security uniform and yell at you. Yes I did experiance that a couple times and laughed. IT is kindof funny. True Dat!:eek2: Thats what IVe hewrd and thats why one reason we dont stay there.. WEll, once the lake is done with construction, he will have a bit more compition..:o :p I like to stay at the Best western and have a nice bed and hot tub after riding.. I sand camp all the time ,so its a nice treat for a motel;) Are you going up any time this summer Nate?

Natertot426ex
05-07-2003, 05:26 AM
I may go up Memorial day weekend with a guy I work with. I have a friend that is going to work in St. A's this summer so I could always stay with him. he has a Raptor so I will probably go a couple times so he has someone to ride with.

Mitch400EX
05-07-2003, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll be going up on August 16th. We're going to stay with a friend who has a camper, so sandhills resort looks like the best option right now.

WyoDuner
05-08-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Hey Wyo, have you got a good sized bunch headed up with you for the 4th?:)

QJ, pretty good sized - me and family, Sandgod and his brother and wives, DSJockey adn a few of his friends, and there are others that are thinking about it... Hard to say but about 10 people or so at this point.

I know you got a pretty big group for the following week.

QuadJunkies
05-08-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by WyoDuner
QJ, pretty good sized - me and family, Sandgod and his brother and wives, DSJockey adn a few of his friends, and there are others that are thinking about it... Hard to say but about 10 people or so at this point.

I know you got a pretty big group for the following week. Yeah, but we know hoe that goes, some will say they are going then last minute change there mind, I think we have a 10-12 firm.. I cant wait to see your pics from that Trip! Im sure Ill be a posting fool on your website when I get back:o ;)

TheChknhwk
05-08-2003, 08:30 AM
I will be there if I can make it w/out losing my house:eek: Gotta land a couple of roofing jobs over the summer for side work to make the ends overlap if ya'll know what I mean. Grrrr:mad: