PDA

View Full Version : chain sprocket help!

Sportrax10
05-01-2003, 08:59 AM
OK, here the problem. When I ride my 02 400ex, it makes horrible noices from the chain specificly the front sprocket(I think). I just put a 14t front sprocket and a DID x-ring chain on. The chain has 96 links but I already took one link out so its now 95. I am thinking about taking another one out to make it 94. The next problem is: whenever I tighten my chain tight and my allen wrenches really tight, after I ride for a few seconds it comes loose. It coming loose is probably part of the noise problem. What should I do? Should I take another link out?

Please help I havnt riden in WAY too long. And if I get to riding today or tommarrow ill take some pics of me and the quad. Thanks so much and if you know anything about chains dont pass this up please.:)

Sportrax10
05-01-2003, 11:19 AM
bump

Sportrax10
05-01-2003, 12:40 PM
c mon this is really important.

400grl
05-01-2003, 02:41 PM
That's just wierd. I've never heard that problem before. Did you check your sprocket where it attaches to the drive shaft? Is it all normal? Is it stripped out or something - do you have your clip (or that little piece that holds it on - whatever it's called!) on right and stuff? I'd look that over really good - I have the X-ring chain and it's great. It hasn't even stretched much.

If your sprocket and all that looks good, then maybe your chain stretched a lot?

I don't know - I'm not too good at this technical stuff - anyone feel free to jump in on this and tell the poor guy what's wrong!!! ;) :D

excess
05-01-2003, 05:10 PM
you need to torque down the allen keys when you adjust the chain to 15 lbs.

Sportrax10
05-02-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by excess
you need to torque down the allen keys when you adjust the chain to 15 lbs.
Please exlain how to do this. And should I take another link out?

toby400ex
05-02-2003, 11:49 AM
That is a very wierd problem, unless you just arent tightening the bolts enough, just tighten them really good, and see what happens. IF that doesnt work see if the axle wobbles at all, if the axle bearings are shot they do alot of wierd little alignment problems.:ermm:

Sportrax10
05-02-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
That is a very wierd problem, unless you just arent tightening the bolts enough, just tighten them really good, and see what happens. IF that doesnt work see if the axle wobbles at all, if the axle bearings are shot they do alot of wierd little alignment problems.:ermm:
So I shouldnt take another link out?

nacs400ex
05-02-2003, 02:24 PM
try taking another link out, if it seems too tight, then put it back it.

Braff1
05-02-2003, 04:16 PM
I would check the condition of your bearings. the reason it could be loosening after you tighten it is the bearing have a bad place creating the slack.

Sportrax10
05-03-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Braff1
I would check the condition of your bearings. the reason it could be loosening after you tighten it is the bearing have a bad place creating the slack.
Even with a 2002?

Braff1
05-04-2003, 04:41 AM
well depending on the kind of riding you do (sand, creek riding, or if you have ridden with an over tighten chain) I would say it could happen. It was only a suggestion, just trying to help out.