PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to race my Gas Gas!

oynot400
05-01-2003, 05:40 AM
Well last weekend I finally got to race my Gas Gas. I got some good seat time on Saturday at Bluff Creek, so I was more prepared for Sunday at Flint Bottom.
During practice it felt pretty good. They changed the heat race order on us so I was pushed to get to the starting gate on time. In fact I was putting on my goggles when the gate dropped. :( Needless to say I was the last one off the line. There was 8 in the class and I got caught up to 6th place before it was over, passing a shee over the finish line. :D
The main I was ready, I got a decent hole shot after some bar and tire banging! :eek: I was 4th going into the first corner, I was pretty happy with that. I traded positions a couple of times with some other guys, not really knowing where I was at in the line up. Then in the last corner coming out of the whoops I goofed up and come out in too tall of a gear and it bogged on me. By the time I shifted down and rev'ed her out I was getting passed. I ended up 6th. :( Tim, the other guy with the 300 Gas Gas ended up 2nd. Then again he has had plenty of seat time on his.
My thoughts on it the Wild Hp 300 are pretty good. It seems the harder you ride it the better it handles. I like how well it is balance in the air. I am hitting bigger jumps then I would on my Honda. Not to say that my Honda would not do it, just that I feel more comforable on the Gas Gas. I think that a well built R or 400ex with out run a Gas Gas, there was a R there on Sunday that proved it. For an averager racer I think this machine will give you an edge.
Sorry I don't have any race pics of it yet. The sun was too bright to the screen on the digital camera. :rolleyes: May be next race. :D

AndreS
05-01-2003, 09:56 AM
cool, can't wait to try mine out when it gets here.... after i get it broke in & to a point that i'm comfortable with it, i'll be on a track too.

RED121572
05-01-2003, 02:19 PM
Where in the name that all is holy, did you guys get these gas gas machines??? Who sells them??:confused:

AndreS
05-01-2003, 09:27 PM
there's probly a dealer near you that can hook you up... here's a
dealers list (http://www.gasgas.com/Pages/Dealers/Dealer-list.html) ... most of the quads are being pre-sold, so not many will sit on a showroom floor at all. i'm also not sure how many they are importing.
I'm getting mine through Smackover Motorsports in Smackover, Arkasas to save a few bucks... they're on that list, look em up & give them a call. tell them i sent you, Andre.

FASTeR
05-02-2003, 03:46 AM
oynot, you still running stock jetting, if so do you know whats in it, I cant seem to get a stumble out of mine now that the temps are in the 80 degree range.

oynot400
05-02-2003, 05:07 AM
Yes I am running the stock jetting. According to the Gas Gas manual, 38 for the pilot and 185 for the main jet. I don't know where the needle is at. That is what the book says I will not know what it is until I take the carb off. Tim changed needles in his and I will problably do so when I get my new throttle cable. You should of gotten a needle and jets with you packet. Where is yours stumbling at?