PDA

View Full Version : Port Work!!!!

EXDUNER127
05-01-2003, 04:30 AM
My engine builder where I live offers an 400ex port and polish head exchange, for a good price, what kind of performance could I get from just a port and polish job done, will there be any gains or losses, is it worth it cus im on a tight budget. and want a little more spunk, im getting married in a couple of months and my fiance' is keeping me on a budget. any ideas!

Kilabanshee
05-01-2003, 06:15 AM
A nice port job will add about 3-4 horsepower. How much is he chargeing for the job because i donot want him ro rip u off.

05-01-2003, 06:16 AM
port work on a stock motor is not gonna do to much I don't think..:ermm:

UglyMotha™
05-01-2003, 06:26 AM
no rico's right porting a stock motor is not goin to do anything really cause the ex was designed pretty much to perform at it's max i do believe as far as flow goes, really i think it would be a waste of money to port your head unless you goin to a larger bore plus i've heard of people having there heads ported on the stock bore and loosing alot of bottom end cause it too free flowing, then again that all could be in who did the job, but it's just what ive' heard

EXDUNER127
05-01-2003, 09:14 AM
hes charging $200 for a full race port and polish and he gets alot of praise for his port work, so I will just lose bottom end...someone told me to put a full exhaust and a race port and I will get power gains in the bottom end...more opinions please so i can decide .

UglyMotha™
05-01-2003, 09:16 AM
i can tell you that if you put a full exhaust and a race port on a stock bore and compression you gonna loose bout all the bottom end grunt you got cause the motor will be way too free flowing

asfaltsurfer1
05-03-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha
i can tell you that if you put a full exhaust and a race port on a stock bore and compression you gonna loose bout all the bottom end grunt you got cause the motor will be way too free flowing

YUP... Just put a HotCam intake only, and a Port and Polish on my Z400 and the bottom end SUCKS. This even after I raised the compression to 11.4-1 with a thin base gasket. She pulls X-tra strong on tha top now though. Oh darn.. guess I gotta get a big bore kit now to get the bottom back..HE..he..he...