PDA

View Full Version : Valve Clicking??

Tweeked
05-01-2003, 04:16 AM
Hey guys,
I'll be picking up a cheapo' 300ex this weekend and plan on doing some work on it to get it back to good running condition. The guy said something in the engine was clicking and he thought it was the valves. I plan on ajusting them, but if it continues i'll replace some of the valve, spring type parts. What parts would I need to replace in order to keep the valves from clicking? Would any of that have to do with the camshaft, I plan on putting a White Bros cam shaft in there and also heavier springs and valve guides. With all those parts replaced and installed, do you think it would most likely take care of the clicking noise if it was cause by the valves and not the timing chain or something else? One more thing--by replacing the camshaft, springs and valve guides with the WB racing type, will I get a noticeable power and accelaration increase?

any help would be great, thanks.

TheX1992
05-01-2003, 07:12 AM
when mine clicked it ment my valves were out of adjustment. but if you redo your whole top end like you say just make sure you adjust your valves right again...you could even do that with it stock like it is now it should be fine. otherwise it may be the cam chain tensioner maybe. like the spring inside coudl have broke and the cam chain is just flopping around on the guides?who knows. try adjusting the valves before you do anything.

Tweeked
05-01-2003, 07:28 AM
Oh ok, thanks. I'll definately ajust them before I start tearing into the top-end. One more question, how easy is it to ajust the valves? You dont have to remove the head do you, arn't there valve ajuster openings or something? And how exactly do you ajust the valves, do you have a space measuring tool and then with a socket or something just tighen or lossen the valves?

Thanks