PDA

View Full Version : edelbrock vs. fcr

416exmx
05-01-2003, 03:13 AM
yeah i think i saw this in a thread just a while ago but... here is the deal, after having to order bigger needles for the edelbrock i finally got it tuned in good and took her to the track. WOW i was really impressed with the performance of it. here is the prob. after about 4 laps my thumb was killing me and i could hardly push the throttle(running a thumb throttle). i had to look for ever to even find a thumb cable and i cant ride a twist, tried it. anyway you wouldnt believe how hard the thumb lever pushes with this carb. anyone else use this carb with thumb throttle or have this prob?? is the fcr made for a thumb or twist because i cant find a thumb cable for the fcr either? is the fcr a better carb anyway? any feedback would be great.

oynot400
05-01-2003, 05:01 AM
The FCR is made for a twist throttle. However, you can put a thumb throttle and cable on it. I have not had any problems with the FCR as far as it is hard to push. Do you have a new cable on yours? If it is an old cable it may need lubed or replaced. That may help. ;)

SLB400EX
05-01-2003, 06:52 AM
My husband has the edelbrock carb on his 440Ex (the one for the 440) and we have no issues w/ the throttle being hard.

Did you grind out any of the thumb throttle housing when you installed the carb?? Just wondering....

Later..Sher

416exmx
05-01-2003, 08:53 AM
yeah i have a brand new cable from edelbrock and even lubed it and it is about 3 times harder to push than stock carb is. i did not grind anything in the throttle housing beacuse i thought that was only if you couldnt get it to go full throttle and mine did ok.

thomas
05-01-2003, 09:02 AM
Shorten the lever in the thumb throttle about 5mm. That's what I did with the FCR. Yes, cut and weld it. Will pull the same as stock.

PHIL_B54
05-01-2003, 10:59 AM
shorten it, thats a good idea
my quiksilver feels fine, do a search - in the past ive heard that you can just cut off a little of the spring

SLB400EX
05-02-2003, 12:39 AM
The guys had to grind a good bit of the housing on Rob's to get it to WOT. WOW...lotsa throttle(travel) to play w/ now! lol. :macho

Good luck with yours...hope ya figure it out.

Sher

Dustin178
05-03-2003, 04:40 PM
get a thumb throttle extender there supposed to b good my throttle isnt real stiff so i dont need it but i heard they work good

Big - D Racing
05-03-2003, 05:51 PM
I have one with the thumb and it pulls just as easy as the stock carb.

416exmx
05-04-2003, 08:05 AM
hmmm i dont know what the deal with mine but it is really tough to push. i am going to take it apart and polish around on the slide and see if that helps. does anyone have a pic of where they cut in the throttle housing to shorten the lever in the thumb assembly?

bmw500hp
05-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by 416exmx
anyway you wouldnt believe how hard the thumb lever pushes with this carb. anyone else use this carb with thumb throttle or have this prob??

Recently rode with a raptor who has one of single edelbrocks that replace the twin stock carbs. The quad ran strong but the throttle was stiff and slow to release. He said something about Edelbrock looking into the cable issue. Unfortunately he called after it caused him to flip :(

SLB400EX
05-09-2003, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by 416exmx
hmmm i dont know what the deal with mine but it is really tough to push. i am going to take it apart and polish around on the slide and see if that helps. does anyone have a pic of where they cut in the throttle housing to shorten the lever in the thumb assembly?

We have a page that shows ya where to grind the housing...do you want to see it?? It'll be no problem for me to scan it and send it to ya... (sorry I didn't see this until today)
Rob didn't shorten his lever, he just did some grinding.

Any luck so far getting yours to push easier??

Rob's having major issues w/ his carb, he's pretty well frustrated right now...can't get it dialed in right and now the throttle is sticking (I did see the post on that issue...gonna check out and try a few things)

Later..Sherri

two_baaalls
05-09-2003, 05:16 AM
I had the same issues. They make a ball bearing that replaces the bushings for the slide, but I went with the twist throttle conversion at the same time, so I dont know how much it helped. All that tension is from the accelerator pump spring. If you have one with the black boot around it, dont mess with it. It tears easily. Good luck.

JustRace
05-09-2003, 10:53 AM
I heard that the one with the black boot is the newer one. Mine has no problems with sticking at all and i love it. I have the twist throttle though. Its been on for over a year and have had absolutely no problems at all. It took me about a week to get it jetted and its been running great since.