PDA

View Full Version : Do any EXRiders Dual Sport?

PhilMoore
04-30-2003, 02:52 PM
I suppose this should be in the non Honda, but I think more people visit this open topic, so please forgive me! :)

I got a NX650 and it is a real pig in the woods. It is almost un-ride-able on a muddy or rutted out trail.

I am going to get a WR250F tomorrow, and I was wondering if anybody has converted a dirtbike to street use. I see there are kits available to do this, and my dealer said he can get some hydraulic brake switches that replace the through bolts in the brakelines to provide brake light actuators.

I am looking for a gnarly off-road tire that is DOT legal, and the PIRELLI MT21 looks pretty rugged.

So if you ride on/off road bikes, please reply and let me know your experience!

Thanks,
Phil :macho

4punksdad
04-30-2003, 03:15 PM
I used to have a KLR-650. It help around 6 gallons of gas and was top heavy off road. On the road it wasn't a whole lot of fun either. I eventually got a real road bike.

back in the day my brother made a suzuki PE175 road legal. He added street tires, a bicycle horn, a brake indicator and a mirror so it would pass NY inspection. Once he got the sticker, he junked all of the on road parts and rode it anywhere he wanted. It was nothing to see him hanging wheelies down main street in heavy traffic. :)

CHAUNCY
04-30-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
It was nothing to see him hanging wheelies down main street in heavy traffic. :)

That must have been cool to see. My friend just got his old ct90 approved for street legal riding. Might have to talk him into giving it a try:ermm:

sweet300ex
04-30-2003, 11:53 PM
my friends dad has a yamaha xt 225 and he drives it more then he does his car

PhilMoore
05-01-2003, 02:18 AM
How about alarm systems?

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with off-road ATV or Bike alarm systems?

lil400exman
05-01-2003, 06:39 AM
i dunno my xr250r hasa kit for it but i still drive it on the road and use hand signals cause that all u got to do in ohio..................so it works for me lol tell us how u like the wr250 i have been looking at those for xc racing...........;)

jcv400ex
05-01-2003, 08:51 AM
The MT21's are a good choice....I wanna see a CRF converted!:eek2:

PhilMoore
05-17-2003, 11:00 AM
Well, here it is with the DOT stuff on it. It took me all day yesterday, and half of today to get it together. Now I gotta go have it inspected, and hopefully approved.

My dealer had some Bridgestone DOT tires on hand and he traded me the stock tires for the Bridgestones. He also had some experience with converting a TTR to a street legal bike, so he ordered me the switches, horn, lights, etc to get this one together.

This bike is pretty fun in the woods. It is really mellow, but will wind up like a two stroke pretty quick. The redline for it is 13,500 RPM! :eek2:

It is really light weight too, compared to the NX650(of course), but is a little tall in the seat. I am 5'11" and I just about have to use my tippy toes when I stop.

I wanted a Honda, but the dealer talked me into this because it has electric start, and therefore a battery, and also headlight and tail light from the factory. That really made installing everything easy. The headlight and tail light were not wired for High/Low, and brakes. But, it was very easy to just add in the extra wire to the existing fixture. The bulbs were dual function, and all I had to do was wire it up, and it worked great!

PhilMoore
05-17-2003, 11:06 AM
whoops forgot the pic

4punksdad
05-18-2003, 02:15 PM
cool phil............post a pic of your first traffic ticket :D

PhilMoore
05-20-2003, 06:24 AM
I got my license plate today!!

I took the bike to the police department and the chief approved it. The DMV staff were not quite sure of what to do, but we all got it figured out, and she sent me away with a license and registration!

I should be able to ride it to work tomorrow if the weather is nice! WOO HOO

Phil

lil400exman
05-20-2003, 09:30 AM
just wondering what was the otd price on her?
:confused: sweet bike though i love her.....................

SGA
05-20-2003, 12:13 PM
Nice!