PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the best alum. airbox w/ lid?

cheetah
04-30-2003, 10:57 AM
Who makes the best aluminum airbox with a lid and where is the best place to get one? I need one to relocate the battery and fit a UNI filter if that makes a difference. Also do these get in the way of anything if you bottom out? I would suspect not, but want to know if there is anything special I need to look into. Thanks.

cheetah
04-30-2003, 04:27 PM
bump

Pappy
04-30-2003, 05:13 PM
i like the CFM box. i dunno if it will hit on the caliper or not...im betting it wont ....(sez a lil prayer)

CFM Performance
05-01-2003, 12:51 PM
Wow, Nice polish job on the airbox Pappy! Also. you won't have a problem with it hitting the caliper.

OutlawEX
05-01-2003, 01:45 PM
CFM is the best airbox i have seen..

400exdad
05-02-2003, 12:57 AM
Pappy, you should have used some Thompsons Water Seal on that deck! :D Nice polish job! What did you finish it up with?

Str8Wicked
05-02-2003, 11:11 AM
I love my CFM.... Just needed to get a lil more bling on mine like Pappy's......

Str8Wicked
05-02-2003, 11:13 AM
Even thou I think CFM is now making them different than the one I bought from them when they first started making them... They even offer lids now, not like I want one but at least they offer it now...

Str8Wicked
05-02-2003, 11:14 AM
Pic from back of the CFM....

KASCHAK
05-02-2003, 01:31 PM
400exdad how much does one of them run? around 100 i hope

cheetah
05-02-2003, 01:59 PM
I want to do a little bit of racing, but mostly I ride trails. I ride through a whole lot of mud bogs and water holes and I just don't trust it without a lid. Anyone know about how much these things run or who to get in contact with?

k2-dawg
05-02-2003, 02:06 PM
I own a CFM and it's awesome. The best craftsmanship available, bar none!

400exdad
05-02-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by 400ex_kaschak
400exdad how much does one of them run? around 100 i hope

I don't know, I don't have one.... yet. :) How about it 400expappy... I mean pappy, how much? :D

OutlawEX
05-02-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by 400exdad
I don't know, I don't have one.... yet. :) How about it 400expappy... I mean pappy, how much? :D

Im not pappy but i can answer all of your CFM needs..There are 2 styles of airboxes one like Str8Wicked and the other like pappy..The Difference between the 2 is one airbox (Str8Wicked's) mounts behind the stock seat latch making it nearly imposible to run a aftermarket seat latch,but that box still kicks ***** and it retails for $169.95..THe other airbox is like pappys same as the one i posted below. THis box mounts in front of the seat latch allowing aftermarket acceptibility and it also has a lid unlike the other..Its a little more compact but still it will rock ur socks and it retails for $229.95 on ebay. If you are interested on any CFM parts contact me at Outlawex@aol.com or go to CFMperformance.com for contact info also check out below in my signitaure

k2-dawg
05-03-2003, 03:18 AM
I've owned both styles as mentioned by Outlaw and the one he has pictured is the best. Cost more but is the best!

cheetah
05-03-2003, 11:09 AM
Ok stupid question time. What is this piece that is connected to the battery and what is it's purpose? I had a wreck a few weeks ago and if broke of half of the fins on it and I am wondering if I should replace it or if I'm still cool.

phatswinn
05-03-2003, 02:27 PM
i think those airboxes would loose airflow wihtout a lid, whats the piont of having it all cluttered doesent it rattle and knock around in there?

OutlawEX
05-03-2003, 06:23 PM
cheetah
That is a Regulator if i am correct all the juice from ur battery goes to that and then split equally..The fins are for cooling purposes..If it runs fine as normal then leave it be.

i think those airboxes would loose airflow wihtout a lid, whats the piont of having it all cluttered doesent it rattle and knock around in there?

I have raced MX with my CFM alumminum airbox for over an year and it performs top notch with my ported,cam,11:1 ex motor never had no problems. The point of the airbox is to relocate those un-attractive wires and battery to a non visible place so it relcates it all inside the airbox and prevents the sub frame from bending since the battery offsets the weight to the left increasing subframe defaults. Also there is no rattleing whats so ever,Neal Oakly (owner/builder) of CFM takes his professional abilities and makes nice and snug fit brackets to hold everything nice and tight. I race pure MX and let me tell you i never had one problem from the airbox ,and neal will garuntee what he sells 110%

Pappy
05-03-2003, 07:00 PM
ill say this....

i had an oppertunity to handle 3 airboxs..2 i wont name and one was a old style CFM. now im not an expert by far but i could tell from not only the looks of the welds...but the structual integrity of the box itself. i could have easily ripped apart the other 2 boxes with my bare hands. i could have also recieved either one of the 2 boxes for free....and yet i purchased the cfm with no discount. i cant say it WILL hold up.....but im willing to say that if you want a box....id highly suggest the CFM. if it comes apart...it will have outlasted any other box that ive had a chance to handle.

YLW400
05-05-2003, 01:32 AM
I have to look into one of those myself...I busted my stock one all to hell at Budds this weekend. All of the tabs are gone. It was hanging down on my swingarm. Does C&D carry these? Do we get a discount from them? :D :confused2

OutlawEX
05-05-2003, 02:53 AM
Does C&D carry these? Do we get a discount from them?

Im almost 100% C &D dont carry them..As of right now EXriders dont get a discount,i emailed CFM about supplying the project EX with a alumminum airbox but have not got a reply as of yet. I will try to work something out with Neal (Owner of CFM) and see what he can do as he is supporting my racing. But i cant garuntee anything because neal works 7 days a week and his wife has been ill so he hasnt been checking his email as he normally does so i been sticking to this fourm to answer as many questions about CFM as i can..Ill shoot him this link

YLW400
05-05-2003, 03:01 AM
That would be great Outlaw...One more thing...If I do get the one that will accomadate a aftermarket seat latch....does it still work with a stock one? I may get the aftermarket one some day, but until then I will be running my stock one. Thanks!

E400X
05-05-2003, 03:09 AM
i am really interested in the CFM box with a lid, but i have 2 questions for you guys. 1) when relocating the battery, regulator etc. to the new airbox, do you have to do any electrical work like extending wires or anything inorder to get everything to fit in the airbox. 2) doesn't all batterys give off dangerous/flammable vapors, could this possibly be a problem with the lid on the airbox or having these vapors get into the intake. thanks

kgbg
05-05-2003, 06:00 AM
Just a quick question. Do you guys with the CFM or the UM or any others, have to take the battery out to get the filter out? And it looks pretty crowded in there, how is air flow to the filter improved with all that clutter so close to the filter?

cheetah
05-05-2003, 11:17 AM
Well thanks for all your help guys, I just ordered my cfm today and should have it by Saturday.;)

OutlawEX
05-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by cheetah
Well thanks for all your help guys, I just ordered my cfm today and should have it by Saturday.;)

Did u let him know Outlaw helped you out with all ur questions..He might of hooked ya up if u say something about my since he is sponcoring me ...ALso il answer all the other questions above tommmarrow as i been working on my YZF and have to go now so look here tommarrrow