PDA

View Full Version : 250r cylinder????

12-26-2001, 06:58 PM
i have a 86 250r. this winter i am with the help of my friend are building my quad for harescramble racing this up coming season. my questinon is i took the cylinder off tonight and soon to find out that my cylinder has a crack in it in the bottom. i'm not sure what to do. any suggestions? i'm not so sure about resleeving it. i've heard some bad things about resleeving them. any help would do. thanks.

400exJOE
12-26-2001, 07:31 PM
i dont think resleving is a bad thing. All the 440s out there are resleeved cylinders and people always talk about how reliable they are.

12-27-2001, 06:19 AM
but there is a difference between resleeving a 2-stroke and a 4-stroke.

400exdad
12-27-2001, 06:42 AM
With a 2 stroke, the sleeves have ports in them that act as "valves". From what I have seen or heard they are only roughed in when the new sleeve arrives. They must be finished up when the sleeve is installed. As the width and height (especially height) are massaged it changes how the motor runs (valve timing). Check out macdizzy.com for a the full 411. It is probably the best 2 stroke site out there. The forums are good there too. A couple of guys there, as well as Macdizzy, really know whats up with 2 strokes. I'm expecting my ported cylinder and rechambered head back from MacDizzy any day now for my sons LT80... MORE POWER!!!!!!:D

rhino99
12-27-2001, 11:52 PM
There is no problem actually resleeving the clyinder, all the guys running the big bores are doing it and what not, but like said earlier you will need some porting done to match your motor, but thats not bad and will really help make your power where you want it. However, if the actual cylinder is cracked and not just the sleeve, you will have to have it welded. I am not sure of anyone who will do this, but maybe someone like CT or LRD or something, I wouldnt want some backyard mechanic to weld it.

If you are interested, I have a cylinder from an 86 that was ported and everything for Hare Scrambles for sale.

e-mail me at rhino99@hotmail.com if you are interested in it.

400exdad
12-28-2001, 08:49 AM
I agree with Rhino99. Don't just let any yahoo work on your cylinder if you like it and plan to keep it. Thats why I sent mine from MS to CA to have it done. It's my opinion that the local shops in the Memphis area approach atv cylinders with a different attitude... or the bike guys just "take" crumby machine work. This one shop has continually screwed things up because he's convenient. Send it out to a reputable shop!