PDA

View Full Version : runs worse on dynojet?

northeast400
04-29-2003, 03:44 PM
Ok I ran a 160 main with my mods, it ran great,I got a dyno jet kit installed it per the directions and now it runs like crap, Idid it just as the direction say with a dyno jet 170 main, but now it runs very rich, anyone know what size dyno jet is equal to a factory 160 main? or anyone running a similar set up that can give advise:confused:

VegasEx'r
04-29-2003, 04:59 PM
I installed the DJ kit per their instructions, then had the chance to have my quad dynoed at their facility (it's about 5 min from my house). The result: I was INSANELY fat everywhere except on the pilot. I dropped the needle one & went down 2 sizes on the main, and it was much better. I also have a friend who had his Raptor dynoed by them. Off the top of my head, I don't remember his jetting, but they set him up much leaner than what the Raptor instructions say. My guess is they err on the side of caution & tell you to jet rich, since it is easier to replace a sparkplug than a cylinder, piston, etc.

Try dropping main jets one at a time. See how a 165 does, then try a 160 if you need to. Then try dropping the needle if you are fat through the midrange. The air screw adjustment seems to be pretty acurate, & they say that there is virtually no reason to go to a bigger pilot. I have no choke, no airbox, and other goodies, and he said I should keep my stock pilot.

Good luck.

White_Knuckles
04-29-2003, 06:37 PM
A Dynojet 162-165 would be closest to the Keihin 160. Your altitude and airbox/filter mods would be helpful to include but there are a bizillion posts on 400 jetting and the variables are never the same for two machines.

Some bag the Dynojet thing and go back to Keihin jets and needles out of frustration. Others have great luck and swear by 'em. Good luck mastering carb removal and installation techniques. ;)

04-30-2003, 02:42 AM
The dynojet kit is not the problem....incorrect jetting is... Your gonna have to tinker with it...;)

northeast400
04-30-2003, 12:20 PM
i called dynojet,( excellent customer service ), and they recommended a 155dj, and go from there i will let you know when I try, thanks for the advise

gojk
04-30-2003, 12:24 PM
When I followed the directions I think it said to put in a 170 and that was way to fat. I finally ended up with 155 main and the needle one clip up from what they recommended. Also this was with a K&N filter w/precharger, Yosh slipon, and choke removed.

Dune Surfer
04-30-2003, 12:39 PM
If I remember right the dynojets are bigger than the same number stock jets. Thier recomendations are waaayyyyy fat