PDA

View Full Version : talked to an engine builder

PHIL_B54
04-29-2003, 12:18 PM
after speaking with edelbrock again to order a throttle cable he refered me to Barnams Pro because the cable was cheaper thru them

has anyone heard of them or had work done by them, im not really looking because i dont need to spend the money on it but i am just curious

anyway, i spoke to the man for a little while and he said he likes to do 426's i said isnt the wall to thin and it was like i insulted him, he defended it pretty hardcore i then said that i was if anything probibly lookin to do stk bore 11:1 JE with a Hotcam 2( good upgrade for the cash spent), his reply was that it was a waste of time and that even though the hotcam says it doest need rockers, it does and if i did anything to atleast go je or wiseco 416, their own grind on "their" cams, rockers, and i would need a new header because the stock is restrictive

im not flaming the guy or the shop, i just was wanting to know if he knows what he's talking about, i know i dont know much(only what ive learned in here) but he seemed to think opposite of much of it

PHIL_B54
04-29-2003, 12:25 PM
i forgot, i also asked if he decked the cylinder to get to the correct compression ratios, he said that the pistons were for the most part close enough to rely on, so i continued by asking about the wiesco 440's not being as advertised 11:1 but more like 10.2 or what ever he just said that that would be way off and the only way to to know if it was that far off would be to check it

maybe im just horrible at speaking with people on the phone, but i know from the little ive talked to c&d , that they really treated me nice in comparison

Castor-426ex
04-29-2003, 12:31 PM
my rockers look great and i run a stage 2 cam

a higher comp piston for a stock bore motor does make a diff

and yes my 426 has thin cylinder walls....but not that thin it doesnt get that hot really

i call bs