PDA

View Full Version : Good Setup?!

Tweeked
04-29-2003, 11:11 AM
Hey guys,
I hope to be able to pick up a $800 300ex this weekend. The guy who's selling it said it wasn't in the best condition--Worn front tires, torn seat, scratched plactis, etc.

I plan on it being somewhat a project quad, but also something I can modify and have some fun on.

Here are some things I plan on doing to it first off--Razrs front "22 and rear "20. Front Race plastics and new rear plastics, I'm stuck on which colors to get--what is a cool color sceme (heres a cool color sceme i'm most likely going with - http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/pf624105e36328cabaa51aac579e67fe4/fc55488e.jpg or http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=512191) and also, i'll replace the seat cover so I need a cool looking seat cover to go along with my color sceme...So which seat cover would be the best seat cover and color, one more thing--what are some good graphics kits to go along with this setup?

I also will put on an AC mudscreen front bumper---Now for the engine mods, I'll either get a White Bros Pro Meg. Slip on, or a Yoshimura--So between the two, which would you recomend? I'll put on a K&N filter along with removing the airbox lid, then install a Dial-A-Jet system.

Later on i'll start worrieing about suspention, axle, a arms etc. But for now, does all the above modifications sound like a good start to get a nice looking/riding 300ex?

Any help would be great, Thanks.

-Mike

Tweeked
04-29-2003, 01:41 PM
Anybody have any help or incentives as to which way to go with the setup?

Thanks

toby400ex
04-29-2003, 01:51 PM
From what it sounds its prolly gonna need more than cosmetic parts replaced, Chains ,sprockets, bearings, bushings. And possibly more.:rolleyes:

KY Woods Rider
04-29-2003, 02:05 PM
Well, if you want opinions, here goes.

First of all, I'd go with the 21" front Razrs. You'll give up just a bit of ground clearance under the front end (which isn't that critical anyway) but you'll gain slighty better turning as the the lower front end will tend to cause the weight to ride more forward (which will cause the front end to "stick" better in the turns).

Color scemes and graphics are purely up to whatever looks best to your eye. Personally, I like orange plastic with a solid black seat cover or just plain old Honda red with a black seat cover.

There are plenty of good exhaust systems available, but out of the two that you listed, I'd go with the WB.

As for the Dial-A-Jet, I'm still not sold on the idea, so I'd spend the money on something else.

Tweeked
04-29-2003, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys,
I believe my dad and I are going to check it out this sat.--If it needs allot of exterior parts, more than i exspected then i'll spend the money on that, then later worry about engine mods.

I also love the KTM orange look with a black seat cover and some decals, but unfortuneatly they done have Zest Orange color option for 300ex Race fenders. Now my other option which would be cheaper would be to shave the fenders to the race cut design, then buy some Orange Fusion paint and paint it with that, then put a glossy coat on to make it shiny.

If I don't do that, then I will definately get red race fenders, and red rear fenders, with a black seat cover and shockwears.

If there are only minor problems with the engine and exsterior stuff then i'll use the exstra money to invest in the WB Pro Meg slip on, K&N, and then rejet it---But one question on jetting, are the atv jet kits basicaly all you need in order to properly re jet your carb, or does it have that and a few other things. Cause for about $45 i'd suspect it would have more than just several jets, etc. Therefor---if the Dial A Jet works great--which is what i've heard, then it wouldn't be a whole lot more to do that instead of a jet kit.

Again, thanks for the help and I hope this all works out.

-Mike