PDA

View Full Version : hoe to get rid of lower back pains after a day of racing/riding??

400exBro
04-29-2003, 10:24 AM
Lately i have been having lower back pains after racing/riding, i was wondering how do you guys elimate it?? it is starting to bug me becuase the next day i can't even stretch or sit probably becuase my back acts up (or it could be school chairs,), do kidney belts help out?

thanks

Razorback
04-29-2003, 10:32 AM
Yes, a "hoe" can get rid of back pain, at least temporarily :D

Seriously though. If it's pretty painful, then I have the same thing, but it's not because of riding, it's because of a bad lower back. You might have a disk or two that's not in real good shape. You can see a chiropractor, or just do some good back stretches. Lay on your back and keep one your left leg straight. Cross your right leg over the left one, then grab your right knee or thigh with your left hand and pull your right knee toward the ground. Reverse the procedure with the other leg. Also, while on your back, try bringing both legs up an over your head while supporting your lower back with your hands (kinda hard to explain, but it will also help). These things will stretch your back good and possibly pop it back into place.

If you just have general soreness, then you're probably leaning over quite a bit. The CC racers tend to get sore backs from this.

MxDale71
04-29-2003, 11:53 AM
The hoe could be causing the back problems :p.

Try stretching real good right before you ride/race. When I'm lined up at the gate waiting for the race before mine to finish, I usually stretch while I'm sitting on my quad. That helps keep me from getting so sore. Also, if you race on rough tracks, you might be sitting down to much and it could be throwin you around a lot.

LapTraffic
04-29-2003, 11:55 AM
Pain is relative, if it bothers you I'd see a doctor and make sure you dont have a more serious problem brewing. If he checks you out and says yer ok then start doing some strength traiing and definitely stretching.

Both abs and lower back.

AtvMxRider
04-29-2003, 11:57 AM
My back used to kill me after riding for just alittle while of riding. I started to wear a kidney belt and my back hasn't hurt since so I would say yes they are worth it.

Fleshwound
04-29-2003, 01:21 PM
bro, i had the same problems when i started racing...
you have to just build up your stamina so that at the endof the race to dont get lazy and sit down the whole time...because that is when your back takes all the punishment instead of your legs...
also do a lot of stretching before each race...and before you go to bed that night then it wont be soo bad in the morning...

you comin to the race this sunday??
how come you wernt at auburn hills?

400exBro
04-29-2003, 01:38 PM
ya i will be at gopher for sure this weekend...

last weekend i wasn't able to get a ride my dad had to do stuff so me and a buddy went to gopher and praticed for this weekend... and let me tell ya it will be rough as hell this weekend, my ex had no traction at all in the loose sand, i found my self in 5th on some stright aways(whoop section was closed off for this weekend) just pined to let build up... and it was dusty like crazy, you could see what was going on in front of you...

i will defintly be strecting more, getting up at 5 30 and doing nothing can't be too good... that i think i might have to tension in my body because i find myself using the death grip a lot becuase it is rough... my works are starting to go bad, i think i will be getting some elkas soon.. that it is probably me sitting down at the end of the race too... so i guess i will be working out this week before gopher..

Fleshwound
04-29-2003, 01:41 PM
shuster will work on the track all week for the race this weekend..
it is always like that there when there arent any races goin on...
he puts a lot of effort into making it perfect for sunday tho...

Pappy
04-29-2003, 01:41 PM
lots of percocet with a royal crown chaser:(

once your back is hurt...it never gets better:mad:

try what they said above...and even a lil ben gay or aspercream before the race will help. as for afterwards...hot tub then the heatin pad

400exBro
04-29-2003, 01:49 PM
for a minute i thought what you guys were all talking about "hoe" then i read the thread title... lol i need to read things twice i guess...

ya since it is going to be so dusty this weekend we are not going to use the car, but our truck, so it will be easy to spot us out... Ya frank is a good track maker groomer, even this weekend he had to groom it just before we went to ride and the jumps were peaked nicely ...

you going to run the nationals this year?? i am going to the 2 in ontario..

thanks a lot for the tips i will defently try them...

LapTraffic
04-29-2003, 01:54 PM
2 things I would add.

If youre getting tired toward the end of the race and sitting down then you need to strengthen your legs.

This is a great webstie with a ton of MX specific training information.

http://www.motocrosstrainer.com

Second, you might to invest in a steering stabilizer if you dont already have one, it will minimize the beating you take while riding which will increase your endurance on the track.

Good luck

400exBro
04-30-2003, 09:59 AM
nop don't have one, looked into it but haven't really thought about it yet... i need some other stuff first... defently mx tires(soon to be here in a couple of weeks) a axle as well as +3 lt a arms with a good set of shocks...

KY Woods Rider
04-30-2003, 12:40 PM
A kidney belt will help, but I can't hardly stand to wear one; it seems like the belt keeps me sitting almost straight up like rigor mortis has set in and I'm one of those people who likes to stay tucked down (probably the reason for the pain in the first place).

As for how to get rid of the pain, Tylenol (or something similar) will help, but I'm one of those people who doesn't like to use medication unless it is truly necessary. Probably the best thing I've found is the old "work the soreness out" method. If you can, just get out on your quad the next day and play around, don't ride hard or the pain will be worse and you could get a real injury; just go out, cruise around, do a few turns, maybe a couple of small (I said small) jumps and head back to the house.

QuadR8cer12
04-30-2003, 03:32 PM
I wouldnt ride without my kidiney belt! It helps out soo much!! especially since I am 15 and I allready have a bad back from racing:rolleyes: I need to find a doctor to sponsor me so I can get hooked up for free:D

zzbudzz
05-01-2003, 02:08 PM
kidneybelt....tigerbalm<sp>(that stuff works great for me!) and good old grin and bear it! oh , asprin an hour before you ride . it helps to thin out the blood and helps to keep you muscles from getting to sore in the first place< so i've heard ?itworked for me but i always forget to take it:confused2

05-02-2003, 03:53 PM
If you seriously want to stop the back pain you have to do a few things.

First you have to figure if the pain is from muscle or misalignment of your spine. A chiropractor (there great even if you dont have the pain YET ) will be able to help you out there and once you determine whats going on you can be better able to battle it.

If your spine is out of alignment you need to get that fixed up first if you want any long term results. No matter how much exercise and muscle building you do you will still have pain if your spine is putting pressure on your nerves. It may not be constant or even in the same place or severity but it will be there, and whats worse is that if you continue to put stress on your spine from riding while its out of "whack" you will be doing more damage and worsening the problem.

Now that you have gotten straightend out you can start on the other things to help your body keep that spine in tune.

Ab workouts are deff a great thing for a building up your back. You can use just about any exercise you like but some are deff better (not faster muscle builders, but put less stress on your back) than others but you will deff see a change just from this alone and expecially if your over 30 and have not worked out in a while.

Back strengthing exercises are also excelent and not only because the help build up the back muscles that support the spine but also because they target the single most popular place for most of our bodies to store "stress" and relieving it is essential. If any of you are into martial arts, golf, baseball etc you allready know that a tense muscle can be a bad thing and cause injury or slow you down. This is worst when its only one or a small group of muscles that are tensed unintentionally cause they put additional stress on the surrounding muscles, tendons and even your spine.

The use of a kidney belt is a great idea and will deff help both before and after you get those muscles built up.

I have had a bad back for a while and you either learn how to make it the least painfull or learn to live with the pain and reduced functions etc. If I get lazy (yep it does happen :) ) and slack off my routine I deff can feel the diff in a few days. After a good ride when I have been slacking on the exercise you know you were riding a lot more than when you were physically ready, and you will be able to be faster if your not in pain too.

Just some ideas and you can check out variuous physical therapy sites on the net to see some exercises for certain muscle groups and problems etc so check them out.

QuadR8cer12
05-02-2003, 04:32 PM
Well put!!:D :muscle:

crazy250r Rider
05-02-2003, 05:41 PM
well most of it is probably that you just need to get out and ride more and get you back and legs strong and after you ride alot it shouldn't bother you anymore but if your just startin out and want to stop the pain for right now you can use like tigerblam or pain pills cus when i started out i was takin pills but now i don't need them so it will all come it time. well i hope that helps you.

400exBro
05-03-2003, 01:58 PM
well it has gotten a lot better...

i have been riding a lot more and doing excerises... i think that since it was my first race after winter, i was not able to go to a track with tons of whoops and push my self... i wll be doing a lot leg stretching, i felt that helped the most.. also sitting down will riding on mx track is not a good thing.. .that is another reason why it is acting...

the pain is that trebly bad, it is just agravting when you stand up and want to walk it will feel strange..

i will race tomorrow and see how it goes...

QuadR8cer12
05-03-2003, 04:54 PM
Good luck!!! I wih I was racing tomarrow.........Bones suck!!

popo
05-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
lots of percocet with a royal crown chaser:(

once your back is hurt...it never gets better:mad:

try what they said above...and even a lil ben gay or aspercream before the race will help. as for afterwards...hot tub then the heatin pad Pappy, will this make me feel yonger too for a fat old baaturd like me.:p :p

nacs400ex
05-04-2003, 08:38 AM
Well, I say get a Kidney Belt, It helps 100%. I remember the first time I went on a MX track for a day. I had no kidney belt, and when I was done, I couldnt stand up, it hurt to breath, I pretty much collapsed off the side of my quad because it hurt so much. But that was the 300ex, and it doesn't have the handling like the 400 has. Now that I have the Elka's, and the steering stabilizer, it helps a lot. I got a kidney belt, they are annoying, but you do get used to them.

400exBro
05-04-2003, 11:03 AM
well after the race today i don't have the pain anymore... i stretched a lot before the race and warmed up my back...

that and i was more in shape...

thanks for your help

05-04-2003, 04:19 PM
So where does the bill get mailed to? :D

Quad DR.

SGA
05-05-2003, 02:19 AM
Get a kidney belt, it works wonders. It keeps your organs from bouncing around, plus adds some good protection for your mid section.

Live2Ride300
05-06-2003, 01:26 PM
Deffinately get a kidney belt, at first it will seem annoying when you first ride with it, then you wont even notice it, they work great, they give your back alot of support.

nateftbl
05-06-2003, 05:37 PM
hamstrings hamstrings hamstrings! stretch your hams out as much as you can. this muscle is what pulls on your hips and causes your spine to be curved. stretch your hams and youll feel a total difference!

crazy250r Rider
05-07-2003, 03:03 PM
good to see you getting better.

TRX300X
05-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Drinking a lot of water and stretching does wonders for me, that and having my girlfriend rub my back. :D