PDA

View Full Version : Silver Lake, MI: 5/30-6/1

RytM1
04-29-2003, 07:46 AM
Me and a few friends are heading up to Silver Lake State Park. Not sure yet if we are leaving the evening of 5/29 or morning of 5/30. Going to be statying at the Silver City II campgrounds. All are welcome.

Doibugu2
04-29-2003, 07:56 AM
How much would it cost to buy a spot on the trailer and a seat in the car?:D

RytM1
04-29-2003, 01:49 PM
Doug, that depends on which one of my buddies you could bribe into staying home. So far, my trailer is full, and the other guy that met us up at Fox Valley usually has a full trailer. If something opens up, I'll keep you in mind.

quader400
04-29-2003, 03:46 PM
you ride at fox valley? ive been there once its pretty cool but they need to groom the track better

RytM1
04-30-2003, 01:22 AM
Yeah, I usually go there when I'm short on time, or if the weather might be questionable.

300exjuggalo
04-30-2003, 04:30 AM
how far away is silver lake from illinois, around elgin its in the north prt about a hour from chicago

Doibugu2
04-30-2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by RytM1
Doug, that depends on which one of my buddies you could bribe into staying home. So far, my trailer is full, and the other guy that met us up at Fox Valley usually has a full trailer. If something opens up, I'll keep you in mind.

Let me know where they live, and I will make sure there quad won't make it:devil J/P

No thats cool, if I can talk my buddy into going then I can get him to ride. I have not decieded what to do about my car, but I do know I am not going to drive 4 hours with it.

I think silver lake is like 4 or 5 hours from us 300ex

RytM1
04-30-2003, 05:10 AM
I can usually make it up there in about 4 to 4-1/2 hours. If you want to look it up, I believe the town its in is Mears, MI.

Doug, hopefully something will work out for ya. Maybe some of these other IL guys might jump on the bandwagon and head up there, and have a spot open for you.

XANDADA
05-01-2003, 01:57 AM
I want to make a trip up there sometime this summer. I hear they are pretty harsh on sound checks though. I figure that I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of around 96-100db's. Will I be able to pass or realistically get around the sound check somehow? The last thing I want to do is drive 7-8 hours and have to turn around becouse I wasn't able to get in the park. I don't have a spark arrestor either but figure I could rig some kind of metal mesh thing on the outlet. This whole situation is very frustrating but I understand that they have to set some kind of limitations. Let me know your thoughts thanks.

RytM1
05-01-2003, 04:22 AM
If I remebr correctly, last year, I was tested at 98db, and my buddy was at 101, and they let us slide. They only seemed to check you if it was really noticeable. As for the spark arrestor, call the manufacturer of your silencer, and see if they have some kind of insert. That is one thing that they WILL NOT let you slide on. I will probably have to take my stock silencer with me just in case. The FCR I added kicked up the noise level a little bit. I just bought the "Quiet Core" insert for my E-Series, so I'll have to see where that puts me on the db scale.

JustRace
05-01-2003, 04:24 AM
I'll be going to silver lake sunday with my loud *** t4 exhaust and will see if i pass or not. I will also be going with two loud banshees, so i'll let you guys know how it goes.

HondaChris
05-01-2003, 04:25 AM
I went up last Wednesday for the day, and there wasnt a person in the booth where they check for spark arrestors or sound. Of course there was only 10 people in the dunes all day though, seeing how it was in the middle of the week. But, from others that have been up there on busy weekends, they are REAL strict on sound this year, @ 94db. Last year, they let 2 or 3 db over pass. Quite a few have said this year, the DNR is giving no lee-way on sound. 94 or less youre good, 95 and above, they turn you around. One way a friend of mines engine builder ( a built Alky Banshee...way over the limit), said to get around it is to use a bit of steel wool at the end of your pipe, behind the spark arrestor if you can get to it and remove it. Then once out in the dunes, remove it and youre good to go.
The layout of the dunes have changed also, the entrance has moved to the exit of last year, with 2 way traffic going in and coming out the exit from last year. They were doing some major digging on the entrance from last year, dont know if it is a temporary thing or not.

buckeye400ex
05-01-2003, 07:17 AM
We went up there in April and there were no sound checks. The only people they turned away were non-spark arrested exhausts. Believe me there were several in our group that were past (94db). It may be more strict in the summer months with a larger crowd.

My theory is if you act like a goofball in line to get in, revving your quad, poppin wheelies, they give you a rough way to go. You go thru nice and slow, barely above an idle, they won't bother you.

Wish I could join you up there. That place is cool!

Last year, I saw them telling people to put helmets on as they were unloading their quads!! So they are kinda anal about some stuff. I was reminded twice to put my goggles on.

flying400ex
05-18-2003, 05:53 AM
i am glad i live so close, i am going somtime in the begining of June

TORO1968
05-18-2003, 05:19 PM
I'm going TOMORROW!!! :D A couple of buddies and I are headed up there for four days of sand slingin' fun!! WOO HOO!!! :D :D :D

RytM1
05-26-2003, 02:38 PM
:cool:

RytM1
06-04-2003, 08:04 AM
Ok, it was unseasonably cold up there this past weekend. Woke up Sunday morning to frost on the ground. Never made it much above 50 degrees all weekend. It was not real crowded, which may be why they were not checking for sound, just for spark arrestors. On Saturday, there was 20-25 MPH winds, which made for some interesting peaks (and accidents).

Doibugu2
06-04-2003, 08:10 AM
Been meaning to go find this thread to find out how it was.

When we went to the Badlands, the temp dropped over night to what seemed to be about 30 degrees. It was freezing. But once the sun came out in the morning, it wasn't to bad.

Took us 5 hours to get there though, damnn traffic.

RytM1
06-04-2003, 08:19 AM
Yeah, sounds just like the Michigan weather.

5 hours!?!? Damn!!!!

Doibugu2
06-04-2003, 08:21 AM
Yeah my buddy wasn't to happy. I told him that you said about 2 to 2-1/2. So I was figuring about 3 or so with holiday traffic. It took us several hours just to get to the border.

RytM1
06-04-2003, 08:25 AM
Yeah, you have to really pick the right time of day. It gets pretty crazy where 294 turns into 80/94.