PDA

View Full Version : top end rebuild

pimpin400
04-29-2003, 06:13 AM
My 400ex is putting out blue smoke pretty good. I need to rebuild it. I want to do a 416, but don't know what cam and piston to go with. I have been told a XR cam or a Web cam, but don't know about a piston yet. Also i have never put in new piston and rings. If anyone could give me advise I would greatly appreciate it. I have a service manual to help me and looked at it but any tips would be greatly appreciated. Also would i need a heavier clutch kit?

Castor-426ex
04-29-2003, 07:01 AM
ok first of all youre going to need an extra set of hands.... a torque wrench....and patience

what youll need depends on what you want...can afford, and how old your quad is.....

doing the top end work is a breeze...just slow down and pay attention where things are...use the right tools...and ask A LOT of ?s
the hardest part of that job is prob the rings....getting them gapped properly and getting the cylinder over them...thats where the extra set of hands comes in....and the gaskets that have to be scraped off

be sure to keep everything clean and orderly and you should have no problems

pimpin400
04-29-2003, 07:10 AM
i see you are running a JE piston. What compression is it. I think i am going to go with a 10.5 to 1. Right now it is a toss up between it and a Ross. I am going to use a HRC cam. I will spend whatever i have to spend to get the HRC cam and the piston. I know some people who know what there doing that will help me with the top end work. I am not afraid to spend the money, but I do stuff right the first time when it comes to fixing things not half @$$ed.

Castor-426ex
04-29-2003, 07:13 AM
i got the 10:8:1