PDA

View Full Version : Cam only???

EXDUNER127
04-29-2003, 04:18 AM
Is there any performance in just adding a cam say a hot cam or the xr400 cam, I just want a little more spunk, cus im on a low budget and i will upgrade later but I cant afford big kit cus then I will have to buy an extended swinger for the dune and those are pricy, so will it be worth it to put in just a drop in cam?

Castor-426ex
04-29-2003, 04:21 AM
while you got the head cover off go ahead and pull the cylinder and either put a high comp piston in it...or go with a lil bit bigger bore....for all the hassle of tearing it apart...throw some more goodies in it

but if its just a cam you want...youll feel a change in the way the motor revs and you may notice a little more power by doing a cam alone....BUT ive heard some stories of people thinking they actually lost power from doing just a cam:confused:

EXDUNER127
04-29-2003, 04:57 AM
wHAT CAN i DO TO MY BIKE in the motor to make it perform better but not have to buy a swinger for the dune so I dont flip over dragging at the hill. What about just a port and polish or will I flip if I just do a high comp piston and cam what is that 406cc or something?

UglyMotha™
04-29-2003, 05:10 AM
why are you so hooked on thinking that you need a longer swingarm if you do motor work i'm still using the stocker and my bike runs like a raped ape and i climb hills that you would probably **** your pants on you just have to learn how to harness your new found power the ex swing arm is one of the best stockers on the market

Castor-426ex
04-29-2003, 05:10 AM
you can run a stock bore higher comp piston but if you want to bore it go to a 406/416/426

EXDUNER127
04-29-2003, 06:15 AM
So I can use the stock swinger with a 416 kit and not flip in the hole shots at comp hill , cus my bike already is a little spunky in the starts, and if say i rode towards the front of the bike the stock suspension and whoops will eat me alive and i will be all over the place. or how do all you guys with engine work and stock swingarms take off and ride in hill drags cus i know ill be fine on flat ground its just the take off, im a newby!

UglyMotha™
04-29-2003, 06:34 AM
you can try taking off in second but don't just drop the clutch and hammer it you gotta learn how to work the clutch so you can control the power to the ground, a nice steady increase of power is what's goin to win the race if you dump it all at once you goin to flip over backwards and then you have to let off the throttle in order to get back on the throttle and during all this you have just lost ground to your oppenent

jchevy
04-29-2003, 04:40 PM
You will be fine at the dunes with a high compression piston and cam. Once i get through the whoops I just ride the wheelie all the way up the hill. If yout front wheels arent on the ground then the weight is on the rear wheels which is right where ya want it. You get the hang of it pretty quick.