PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Steering?

flying400ex
04-28-2003, 03:32 PM
I just got a new houser stem and I got it in but the bars are quite hard to turn side to side I also got new 20'' MX's in front.

flying400ex
04-28-2003, 03:33 PM
what do you think is the cause of the stiff steering, i think it might be the tie rods but I am not sure. Any ideas?

bmw500hp
04-28-2003, 05:35 PM
I have somewhat the same problem but mine has to do with the installation of new a-arms...am watching this post for some ideas to correct....:confused2

terko440
04-29-2003, 12:01 AM
Did you overtighten the steering stem bushing or forget to regrease it? That can make a difference. Your new stem shouldnt make the steering any harder unless maybe you did tighten your tierod ends to tight. Did you check that bottom bearing while you had it all apart?

redrizza
04-29-2003, 12:53 AM
I have Herrman arms, and have the same thing. It's because the balljoints are stiff. They are new and are a non-grease balljoint and have a little drag. After a full race season they started to loosen up, but they're still noticably stiff. I just think about it as a free steering dampener:p

QuadTrix6
04-29-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
I have somewhat the same problem but mine has to do with the installation of new a-arms...am watching this post for some ideas to correct....:confused2

when i put my houser a arms on i had the same problem stiff to turn, but there is a break in period and in my case when the quad is moving i couldn't notice that they were stiff at all, its a lil stiff still bit don't forget your changing the whole geometry of the quad so that can have an affect as well

flying400ex
04-29-2003, 11:59 AM
Well i worked on her today and i noticed the ball joints on the tie rods had spun so they were unable to move side to side or rotate anymore. So I took a wrench and loosened it up and then i took a wrench to the ball joint while it tighten the nut. This way the ball joint was sitting straight in stead of slanted. I got it bAck together and wow it worked. It solved my problem. My steering is still a bit stiff but not to bad. I got this big double I tried to clear today about 50 55 feet with not much of a runway and the lip was about 8 foot tall I cased it and rolled twice and never did it I cant quite get the speed I am going to build a bit of a saftey thing by putting a little bit of a table top to the back of the downslope ill have to post pictures this thing is huge.

QuadTrix6
04-29-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by flying400ex
Well i worked on her today and i noticed the ball joints on the tie rods had spun so they were unable to move side to side or rotate anymore. So I took a wrench and loosened it up and then i took a wrench to the ball joint while it tighten the nut. This way the ball joint was sitting straight in stead of slanted. I got it bAck together and wow it worked. It solved my problem. My steering is still a bit stiff but not to bad. I got this big double I tried to clear today about 50 55 feet with not much of a runway and the lip was about 8 foot tall I cased it and rolled twice and never did it I cant quite get the speed I am going to build a bit of a saftey thing by putting a little bit of a table top to the back of the downslope ill have to post pictures this thing is huge.

what exactly happened? Maybe thats why mine is only stiff when extended and fine when compressed

flying400ex
04-30-2003, 06:59 AM
My ball joints on my tie rods were binding when the suspension compressed

jlhughes750
04-30-2003, 07:39 AM
DRILL AND TAP THE BALL JOINTS AND INSERT GREASE FITTINGS. GREASE THEM EVERY TIME U RIDE.

ALSO LIKE ANOTHER GUY POSTED, CHECK YOUR STEM STAY AND MAKE SURE ITS NOT TOO TIGHT WITH THE NEW CHROME OR PCOATING ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!

LATER, J