PDA

View Full Version : "Hand Pump" ???

CHAUNCY
04-28-2003, 02:54 PM
Hey
I was wondering if you ever get "hand pump" from riding. Where your hands start to hurt and it gets hard to pull in the clutch and stretch your fingers. Is there anyway to get rid of this ? If so how ?

Castor-426ex
04-28-2003, 02:57 PM
whoa whoa whoa.....

what are you saying here?

i think this needs to be in some genital medical forum man

too many kids to be talkin bout that stuff:eek: :D

AtvMxRider
04-28-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Castor-426ex
whoa whoa whoa.....

TRXMaddness
04-28-2003, 03:05 PM
:uhoh:

Chef
04-28-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Castor-426ex
whoa whoa whoa.....

Wheres Jabber when we need him? ;) :eek2:

JustRace
04-28-2003, 03:40 PM
donnie just keeps his lotion next to him

But seriosly, i have heard that if you get a junk thum throttle and hook it up to like a broom handle with a spring you can work out that muscle. Then for your hands i don't see why you couldn't get a junk clutch and brake lever and hook them up to something where you could just keep pulling them and working those muscles

Another thing i have heard is to tie a long string to a broom handle and put a weight at the end of the string and slowly twist the broom handle to work those muscles. Hope that helps

Castor-426ex
04-28-2003, 03:44 PM
wal mart has a thing...its for your hands it has springs...you can actually work out your fingers and hands with it....

ive heard that wearing a wrist brace helps???? sounds funny though

Castor-426ex
04-28-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by JustRace
donnie just keeps his lotion next to him

But seriosly, i have heard that if you get a junk thum throttle and hook it up to like a broom handle with a spring you can work out that muscle. Then for your hands i don't see why you couldn't get a junk clutch and brake lever and hook them up to something where you could just keep pulling them and working those muscles

Another thing i have heard is to tie a long string to a broom handle and put a weight at the end of the string and slowly twist the broom handle to work those muscles. Hope that helps

that exercise will kill a mans forearms.... good call:D

Pappy
04-28-2003, 03:48 PM
i solved ricos thumb problem by telling him to only use that thumb to open his beers:o

i seen him kill a man in a thumb wrestlin competition at hatfield:confused2

CHAUNCY
04-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the good help and advice and the humor;)
I already got a trist throttle ds my thrumb pains went away. I might try and get that spring loaded hand exersizer thingamabobber with the watchamowannacallit. It just hit me like a brick on the head that I dont notice the pain when I am riding the ol' KX only the 400, maybe because its a roupher(SP) ride or something:ermm:

JustRace
04-29-2003, 05:52 AM
do you go work out at a gym at all? If you do there are some great exercises you can do to work those muscles.

Like one i like to do, and i'll explain it my best. I take a 50lb curl bar and hold it in my hands. Sit down and rest my wrists on my knees. Then keeping my arms stable i slowly curl it with my rists. I do about 20 my arms are burning. Then i rotate it around so that i'm now holding onto the bar from the top with my wrists still sitting on my knees. Then i raise it that way and it just kills. Very good work out.

Mxbubs
04-29-2003, 06:18 AM
Ride more often

RIDER11X
04-29-2003, 06:41 AM
I use sports creme on my hands and forearms right before riding. Works great!!!!!:cool:

400grl
04-29-2003, 09:02 AM
Stupid arm pump - it was getting in my way for a while, too. I found throught trial and error that between popping several childrens' chewable aspirin's just before a moto (chewables dissolve quickly) and relaxing my "death grip" on the bars during my race, that I don't really get arm pump anymore. I practice relaxing my grip on straight stretches and in the air - opening my hand completely to relax it briefly - this helps tremendously!

Riding all the time is probably the best problem solver, but these two things have helped me a lot! Good luck! :D

LapTraffic
04-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Im no expert but specifically targetting those muscles in a workout would increase their size and need for oxygen while riding possibly increasing arm pump.

I try to stretch my fingers and wrist as much as possible and then stay loose in the race.

When I notice it coming on it's almost always because Im gripping the bars too hard, not from working the break or clutch.

Just thoughts

JustRace
04-29-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by LapTraffic
Im no expert but specifically targetting those muscles in a workout would increase their size and need for oxygen while riding possibly increasing arm pump.

I try to stretch my fingers and wrist as much as possible and then stay loose in the race.

When I notice it coming on it's almost always because Im gripping the bars too hard, not from working the break or clutch.

Just thoughts

That is a very good point, i noticed that too. About working the muscles i know it helps a little that way they are used to being worked and don't get tired so fast.

Pappy
04-29-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Mxbubs
Ride more often

best exercise right there^

but the lil hand thing...it does work. when i first used one i could only do it 40 or 50 times before my hand cramped. i was doin 200 easy after the first few days

04-29-2003, 03:55 PM
any sugestions for blisters i came home this weekend and i ahve 8 blisters on my hands and i wear gloves My hands are killin me.

RIDER11X
04-29-2003, 07:08 PM
Also, If I get arm pump, I am usually riding too tight as in not flowing with the machine. I will start working on getting into a rythem with the quad and sliding corners and just basically having fun. My confidence rises and arm pump is gone! Don't laugh, it works for me even if you think I'm nuts!!!!!!!:D :D :D

AND the sports creme helps too!:D

400grl
04-29-2003, 08:21 PM
My fix for the blisters was Renthal Medium Compound ATV grips (the diamond pattern, not waffles!) No more blisters!:D

Braff1
04-29-2003, 10:00 PM
Here is my assessment of the problem of arm pump. Arm pump/hand pump is the result of the build up of lactic acid in the muscle tissues aka the burn after a good work out. Lifting weights whether modified ice cream scoop or good ole metal weights build up the muscle tissue so that it does not break down as fast producing lactic acid build up. This why those that put a death grip on the bars while riding will produce arm pump e even faster because the muscles are contracted wearing out the muscle while also decreasing blood flow to the muscles. This is why Jeff from Quad Shop always says "drink plenty of water prior to your race". This helps hydrate your body allowing your body to remove the lactic acid faster to prevent the build up.
I hope this helps explain why this happens.

Bill Fuller
04-30-2003, 02:37 AM
I use OURY grips,and for those blisters I went to Walmart and bought some bicycle gloves(the ones with no fingers)they have a great pad built in to the palm.Just slide them puppys under your regular gloves no blisters and the extra pading helps reduce arm pump.I always take 2 asprin before a race(help thin the blood to increase flow to arms,legs,BRAIN etc...)Most of all relaxe,relaxe,relaxe.Learn to have fun riding again remember when you first started riding,like me you could go all day long and beg for more.I found last year racing got to be real pressure not so much fun but more like a job,we used to ride on any day we could get off but then it got to the point that every time we were riding it was racing,now were getting back to haveing fun group riding playing cutthrought or follow the leader. We still ride plenty fast(almost race pace)but nobody ever complains about arm pump.There is no substitution for riding(get your groove on):D :D

Sporttrax400ex
04-30-2003, 08:24 AM
I got done racing at this one track and i couldnt lossing my hands up i was gripping so hard it took my hands like 5minutes to get the stratened out.